Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #31
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtek
Funny you should mention that.

Darksiders are also fans of running rear tires on the front (mounted backwards - as far as rotational direction) because they work well, and last longer.

Car tire on the front? Well... that's just stupid.
A guy on the Reflex list developed a *very* dangerous wobble after putting a larger tire on the front.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #32
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet
So, if I understand correctly, the main reason people do this is because car tires last longer. In other words, they are willing to increase the risk of riding a motorcycle, which is already risky enough, to save a few bucks.

Of course I'm assuming that car tires don't work as well on a motorcycle as tires specifically designed for motorcycles would work, and by that I mean that they don't handle as well in all conditions as motorcycle tires would, such as when you might have to stop quickly on a wet road while going around a turn.

It seems to me as if the decision to use car tires is alot like making the decision to ride non-ATGATT. It saves money, and as long as you can convince yourself that everything always goes according to plan, and you'll never wish you had a bit of added safety net, you will be happy, right up to the moment you crash. And the fact that you haven't crashed yet doesn't mean you haven't reduced your safety.

I would love to see a magazine or the like pick up on this idea and do some objective comparisons of motorcycle tires and car tires on motorcycles.

Also, most tires that come in super-small sizes are generally as non-performance as you can get. Lots of harder/less grippy "all season" rubber in that category.

Great for getting 50-100k miles out of a tire, totally shitty for providing grip (at least when you put them on a car) compared to a much softer 'performance' compound that you find on some of the better motorcycle tires (and with more common sizes of car tires).

Most of the tires I've seen people using for darkside driving are ones I wouldn't even dream of putting on a car for fear of a precipitous loss in performance/handling. Maybe it's different on an MC, but I'd be surprised. Cheap compounds generally suck on most things, at least compared to grippier/more expensive compounds.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #33
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 370
Timely topic as I've just put a car tire on the back of my MP-3. Stock tire size is 130/70-12 with many riders (including myself) putting a 140/70-12 scooter tire on instead. The car tire is a 145/70-12 tire designed for the original Mini's and it fits well enough. I'm running 37 psi in the tire as any less seems to cause the bike to feel squirmy, like you have a worn tire on the back. I've only put 120 miles on the bike since adding the tire and the handling is different at first but I'm getting used to it. This post is not being submited from my hospital bed and while I wouldn't use the tire for canyon carving, it seems well suited to my work commute.

I was getting 2500 miles out of rear scooter tires and putting 160-200 miles a week on the scooter so tire changes were coming every 3-4 months and that is just too often for me. In addition the scooter tire had to be watched very closely near the end of it's life as it would go from looking ok to cords showing within 40 miles (I experienced this myself). Taking the rear tire off the MP-3 isn't a quick 10 minute job either so even though I have my own tire mounting tool (Cycle Hill brand) I'm hoping the rear tire will work out and give me more time to ride the Tiger (no plans to put a car tire on the back of that bike).
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #34
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
I have no experience with them, but I'd think a very small width car tire slightly over inflated wouldn't be a terrible thing to handle.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #35
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was getting 2500 miles out of rear scooter tires

Never in my life have I heard anything like this before, not even on ultra-powerful, much heavier motorcycles (unless we're talking motorcycles that are raced regularly or people practicing burnouts over and over again). What brand/style of tire were you using?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #36
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch
Never in my life have I heard anything like this before, not even on ultra-powerful, much heavier motorcycles (unless we're talking motorcycles that are raced regularly or people practicing burnouts over and over again). What brand/style of tire were you using?
the big boys are the ones whom started doing it. HD, goldwings, and the like. Google is your friend to find out more. darkside scooter tire etc
Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #37
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Quote:
Drop by the Modern Vespa MP-3 forum and read up on it. The MP-3 250 had a 12" rear wheel (2010 models and beyond have a 14" wheel) and combined with the heavy weight of the scoot even with normal use 3000 miles would be pushing it. I have used Michelin Pilot Sports, Heidenau K-61's and Verderstein Torente's all are quality tires and none could survive more than 3000 miles of normal riding.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic35817
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #38
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting. Even moreso since the 250 really isn't all that heavy. 450 pounds dry isn't all that much, especially when you consider that some of the extra weight comes from the fancy front suspension (and is therefore applies minimal pressure on the rear tire). Heck, the Reflex is a hair over 400 (wet, with a lighter front end) and has a 12" tire that can go 8-10k miles.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #39
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Interesting. Even moreso since the 250 really isn't all that heavy. 450 pounds dry isn't all that much, especially when you consider that some of the extra weight comes from the fancy front suspension (and is therefore applies minimal pressure on the rear tire). Heck, the Reflex is a hair over 400 (wet, with a lighter front end) and has a 12" tire that can go 8-10k miles.
I think it's because of the two front wheels.

They have a tendency to use the rear wheel as rotational axis (yaw axis) more so than a normal two wheeled vehicle.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #40
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

ahhhh. interesting^2 lol
Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #41
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
ahhhh. interesting^2 lol
Its likely that the riders of MP3s (particulary those on 125s & 250s) ride them closer to the limit than do riders on two-wheeled scooters of similar capacity.

The front end is known to inspire a high level of confidence when crossing wet tram tracks, and cornering on cobblestones. Have you viewed the 'corner drifting' videos on YouTube?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #42
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau
Have you viewed the 'corner drifting' videos on YouTube?
YEP!!!! And very cool it is!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #43
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Quote:
Yeah I have no idea why the Reflex is better on tire wear vs the MP-3, it would be great to get even 6k before a change, 9k would be optimum as that is when the belt is due to changing so you could get both done with one trip to the shop (I actually do my own tire and belt changes). Car tire is doing well so far, I've had it up to 70 on the highway with no ill effects, cornering is still a bit off for me, nothing big just taking my time to get used to the new setup. Front tires are no issue on the MP-3, I'm on my second set at 17500 miles (changed the originals at 10k and they had tread left but went for new all around that time) and they still look very good. Boy I'd hate to have to buy 3 tires every 2500 miles that's for sure.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #44
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

here is a pic of the tire on the scoot

and another view

Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #45
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount