Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #46
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,474
With over 14K miles on the OE Bridgestone Hoops, I'm pretty happy. Granted, they're close to the wear bars and cupped so they'll be replaced this winter. I was going to consider Avons, Michelins or Pirellis but I'm thinking I may stay with the Hoops or the other OE option, Dunlop. I'd hate to have to buy tires every 2500 miles, too.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #47
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Car tire is doing well so far, I've had it up to 70 on the highway with no ill effects, cornering is still a bit off for me, nothing big just taking my time to get used to the new setup

I would say it's wise to ease into it... between the (certainly) less-stickiness of the car tire vs a scooter tire and the fact that it's squared off on the corners, I personally would be perpetually careful about pushing it in the corners.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #48
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch
I would say it's wise to ease into it... between the (certainly) less-stickiness of the car tire vs a scooter tire and the fact that it's squared off on the corners, I personally would be perpetually careful about pushing it in the corners.
Yep I have a Triumph Tiger 1050 for corner work, the MP-3 is my goto commuter choice. Another 20 mile commute today and I'm getting more and more comfortable about the tire. Still no desire to max lean it around the corners though. Tire pressure is going to be key, if it gets too low (say 35 psi vs 37 psi) then the wobble gets more pronounced. No real problem as I check tire pressures every other day.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #49
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfan
Tire pressure is going to be key, if it gets too low (say 35 psi vs 37 psi) then the wobble gets more pronounced. No real problem as I check tire pressures every other day.
Just out of curiosity, what the manufacturer's recommended pressure (as indicated by the sidewall)?

I was also curious about the un-sprung weight issue. I have to think that, due to construction, the car tire is (much?) heavier than the scooter tire.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #50
honda_silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Here is a good darkside video on a Honda Silverwing ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGqUIqevnQ )
honda_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #51
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
Just out of curiosity, what the manufacturer's recommended pressure (as indicated by the sidewall)?

I was also curious about the un-sprung weight issue. I have to think that, due to construction, the car tire is (much?) heavier than the scooter tire.
38 psi max and yes the tire is heavier than the scooter tire but I didn't compare them side by side.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #52
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfan
38 psi max and yes the tire is heavier than the scooter tire but I didn't compare them side by side.
Are you running it @ 38 psi so the tire has a 'crown' or are you trying to come to grips with a tire profile that's more "square"?

I have to wonder how more un-sprung weight affects the ride/scoot. Time to confer with my brother-in-law who rides and has his P.E. license.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #53
Lammy1000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I live to ride my Honda Reflex hard in the corners. Why would I want to save 3 cents a day to use a less capable car tire?

Yes, I have a "real" bike too..Yam FZ 1000, but the Helix , and now the Honda Reflex are more fun.
Lammy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #54
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Just turned over 1000 miles since going darkside in August. Still not posting from the hospital and I'm back up to the speed I was riding before I put the car tire on. I still notice a lilttle wobbliness over uneven terrain such has tar strips and such not but again it just feels like a worn rear scooter tire and there is no drama in it. Cornering is fine but I'm not a peg dragger by any means, still there is plenty of grip when leaned over. It has yet to rain here in Cali so I will be on alert for when I have to take it on wet roads but I don't expect any issues. Hopefully I'll get some more pics tomorrow to compare to the ones I took when I installed it.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #55
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Cool, looking forward to pics.

I am curious how it'll handle leaning on wet roads considering they're not designed to shed water there.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #56
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Original photo just after install (maybe 40 miles on it)

The tire after 1000 miles, not much wear shown here compared to the original photo. The center strip no longer has the GT Classimo mold showing so there has been a bit of wear.

Side view.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #57
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 731
To each there own, but man after seeing those pics I just don't get it. Seems to me like you have taken the fun-nest part out of riding on two wheels---LEANING

If it works for you great but I just don't see any benefit to running a square (side wall) tire

White Tenere screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 01:11 PM
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #58
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
It has yet to rain here in Cali
I beg to differ. We had a real downpour Wednesday. Lightning, thunder, limited visibility, the whole works. Wouldn't have been able to ride in it anyway, no matter which tire you had on. Of course, that was in the "State of Jefferson" part of California. That's northern CA for those of you who think the state stops at Sacramento or San Francisco (which is technically Central California.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #59
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
To each there own, but man after seeing those pics I just don't get it. Seems to me like you have taken the fun-nest part out of riding on two wheels---LEANING

If it works for you great but I just don't see any benefit to running a square (side wall) tire
It still leans.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #60
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I have no experience with them, but I'd think a very small width car tire slightly over inflated wouldn't be a terrible thing to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
It still leans.
If you say so....

I live minutes away from some of the best high speed canyons (corners) in the country and could not see taking that tire out and pulling a bike over in a turn on what looks like a razor edge of a sideway thats just my opinion.

Like I said to each there own.

Stay safe.
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote