Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #61
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
If you say so....

I live minutes away from some of the best high speed canyons (corners) in the country and could not see taking that tire out and pulling a bike over in a turn on what looks like a razor edge of a sideway thats just my opinion.

Like I said to each there own.

Stay safe.

So you haven't done it either then?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #62
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
So you haven't done it either then?
Nope, after 36 years of riding I don't think I'll be doing that one any time soon.

There's a multi billion dollar tire industry out there with some of the best engineers in the world that get paid really big bucks to make my motorcycle tires handle and preform to the highest of standards... I've often said my tires can out ride me and my bike any day.

This is not a personal attack on anyone or anyones choice of modding there bike, I personally just don't understand why anyone would run a (car) tire that is not designed/engineered for there bike. Again just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions

Stay safe out there my car tire riding friends
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #63
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
Quote:
Nope, after 36 years of riding I don't think I'll be doing that one any time soon.

There's a multi billion dollar tire industry out there with some of the best engineers in the world that get paid really big bucks to make my motorcycle tires handle and preform to the highest of standards... I've often said my tires can out ride me and my bike any day.

This is not a personal attack on anyone or anyones choice of modding there bike, I personally just don't understand why anyone would run a (car) tire that is not designed/engineered for there bike. Again just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions

Well he decided to try it because the MP3s (especially the early models) have a terrible habit of tearing up rear tires in short order. So switching to a small car tire will allow him to commute more often without buying a new rear tire every couple of months.

I agree about the being designed for it or not, but the only problems I've ever heard of with anyone running car tires on their bike is when they didn't take the time to properly practice and explore how the handling characteristics change. They just slap it on and go hauling into something like your canyon and get into trouble which is a dumb thing to do regardless of what vehicle you're riding/driving or the modifications it has.

The rest who do don't seem to notice a difference in the long run.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #64
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by miboso
I beg to differ. We had a real downpour Wednesday. Lightning, thunder, limited visibility, the whole works. Wouldn't have been able to ride in it anyway, no matter which tire you had on. Of course, that was in the "State of Jefferson" part of California. That's northern CA for those of you who think the state stops at Sacramento or San Francisco (which is technically Central California.
Heh I'm nowhere close to San Francisco or Cow Town and yet I live on the Central Coast, if the state of Jefferson ever come to be I'm hoping I'll be a NoCal vice a SoCal resident even if it doesn't rain often.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #65
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 333
Quote:

No problem Up, there are always strong opions on both sides when darkside talk arises. I stay out of it because as you say it is my choice and I took the time to research it and decide if I would be confident in its safety. It did take me about 200 miles on various roads (highway/street level/country roads) to start feeling comfortable with the tire. I put the tire on in the first week of August and now on 9/11 I have put over 1000 miles on it and that was pretty much just my normal riding pattern, no long trips. At this point with a 12" scooter tire on the back I'd be almost halfway through the life of the tire. EvilGenius has pretty well summed up why I did it in the post above.

And yes it still leans into corners and while it feels a bit different it isn't a pucker your butt and hope for the best feelling, it just works differentlly.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #66
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,734
Just throwing another thought out there. I recently picked up a used Ninja 750 that had an extremely squared off rear mc tire. Very very wide chicken strips on both sides. My thought is that this tire being as squared off as it was would provide a very similar feel to a car tire. And while it did handle different it certainly wasn't dangerous. Just took some getting used to.

I'm also thinking for some long riders where the majority of the time is spent on boring straight roads, why wouldn't you want a tire that has 3x + life out of it.

My Lil'Ninja 250 toasted it's rear scooter tire in about 3.5k going through Cali, Nevada, and Oregon because there simply weren't any turns to help even things out. Majority of the time was spent on 2lanes but even those were straight as hell.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #67
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 25,643
I know some guy with MP3 are using CT...

Scooters on DS

Here a link to the whole site of DS riders..

Riding The Dark Side

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote