User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
Badge320 OP
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,967
Thoughts on this car deal....

I want to run this by the collective to get some input on this car deal and the vehicle...

Last weekend my wife and I took her Nissan to the dealership for service. My wife has bought two cars and gets her service done at this dealer. We are standing in the new car showroom and I'm looking at a 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo on the floor. We are just killing time and I'm curious. The sales guy who sold my wife both cars comes up and tells me he'll make me a deal on this car.

Mr. Salesman (who did us right on both prior sales) says they have been sitting on this car for almost 5 months and want to move it. A brief discussion is held and the car is offered at 100.00 over dealer cost. The dealership will take my Toyota on a trade at almost full KBB trade value. I'm going to be financing around 17k. I told them I wanted to think about it and we left. I've been called back today and I let it go to voicemail.

Any Z owners out there who can tell me the good and bad on owning this vehicle...? What should I expect as a long term owner (I'm going to have it several years). Does this deal sound solid and would there be any more room to go lower..? I called on insurance and it's the same amount I'm paying on my current vehicle. I'm going to finance it out 48 months.

Spare me the "if you have to finance it you shouldn't buy it" KLR owner standard response... I don't have any other bills other than the mortgage my wife and I owe.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 25,755
You know you'll be a cop magnet in that thing, right?

Other than that, I got nothin'. Buy it if you like it. It's warranted and everything can be sold or traded in.

Or stolen if it is parked in the wrong neighborhood.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,828
$100 over dealer cost doesnt mean the same thing to every dealer. I'd want to see all the numbers written down, then research pricing from there.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Badge320 OP
Wild Hog No. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
$100 over dealer cost doesnt mean the same thing to every dealer. I'd want to see all the numbers written down, then research pricing from there.
From what I can find those figures seem to be pretty accurate. I'm still undecided on this deal.

Could be they assume I'm going to buy an extended warranty or some other dealership money making program they offer you in the financing office..and they would be seriously misjudging me if that's what they are gambling on....
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Badge320 OP
Wild Hog No. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
You know you'll be a cop magnet in that thing, right?

Other than that, I got nothin'. Buy it if you like it. It's warranted and everything can be sold or traded in.

Or stolen if it is parked in the wrong neighborhood.

They only steal lifted trucks and four wheelers around here....
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
From what I can find those figures seem to be pretty accurate. I'm still undecided on this deal.

Could be they assume I'm going to buy an extended warranty or some other dealership money making program they offer you in the financing office..and they would be seriously misjudging me if that's what they are gambling on....
Or figure to bump your interest rate up a bit for the kick back from the bank, add in a few extra dealer fees, not be able to give you that 'almost' full kbb value, etc.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
I remember seeing comparo between a Z, a Subaru BRZ / Scion, and a used Porsche Cayman S. It was a British reviewer.

Ah, here it is. Whatever you do, you are in an enviable position.

klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,234
With experience in the car biz...

There were plenty of times that we cut really slim (low profit) deals to return customers or customers who picked a car that had been sitting around a while. If it's on the floor plan it's costing them money.

There is holdback money, and behind the scenes "dealer cash" isn't all that uncommon either.

In the time I sold cars I can count on one hand the times we sold a new car at a loss.

If you really want the car and they really want to sell it, you might be able to push a little bit more out of them. You're certainly in a good position since you showed interest but don't NEED to do anything.

Good luck!
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Badge320 OP
Wild Hog No. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
With experience in the car biz...

There were plenty of times that we cut really slim (low profit) deals to return customers or customers who picked a car that had been sitting around a while. If it's on the floor plan it's costing them money.

There is holdback money, and behind the scenes "dealer cash" isn't all that uncommon either.

In the time I sold cars I can count on one hand the times we sold a new car at a loss.

If you really want the car and they really want to sell it, you might be able to push a little bit more out of them. You're certainly in a good position since you showed interest but don't NEED to do anything.

Good luck!
I was hoping one of you guys in the car biz would post up....

The ol' innerwebs show the hold back is 1100.00.

I still haven't called them back.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
I was hoping one of you guys in the car biz would post up....

The ol' innerwebs show the hold back is 1100.00.

I still haven't called them back.
Keep in mind that things have changed since I've worked in the car biz.

When I was there the holdback (at my dealership) was untouchable. You want a piece of the holdback? You can write a check for the whole dealership and have all the holdbacks.

I know some urban areas are way more price competitive than we were...

However- if they've always treated you right- I've always been an advocate that it's worth letting them make a little profit. You want a good business to stay in business.

Since leaving when I've negotiated for vehicles I've mentioned holdback and dealer cash. I've said things like "I'm not asking for any of the holdback- I'm just letting you know that I know about it."
Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Badge320 OP
Wild Hog No. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Keep in mind that things have changed since I've worked in the car biz.

When I was there the holdback (at my dealership) was untouchable. You want a piece of the holdback? You can write a check for the whole dealership and have all the holdbacks.

I know some urban areas are way more price competitive than we were...

However- if they've always treated you right- I've always been an advocate that it's worth letting them make a little profit. You want a good business to stay in business.

Since leaving when I've negotiated for vehicles I've mentioned holdback and dealer cash. I've said things like "I'm not asking for any of the holdback- I'm just letting you know that I know about it."
I mentioned the hold back. I'm down for them making money. I just don't want the days profit all on my deal.

This shop does all the work on our vehicle and I told the sales guy we are putting a hitch on my wife's Pathfinder (around 800 parts and labor) which will put some money in their pocket next week.

I'm going to wait for them to make the next move.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 AM   #12
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 672
Solid car, no problems there.

Ask for service credit towards your current tow hitch job.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:34 AM   #13
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 457
Could not sell a car in 5 months Well at least they did'nt say it was owned by a little old lady from PasadenaHow can you tell when a car salesman is full of shit.....there mouth is moving!

Sounds to me you don't want this car because you left the dealership without it and it is way to easy to figure out what the dam thing is really worth on the internet.

2016 Models are on the way yee haw
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #14
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Could not sell a car in 5 months Well at least they did'nt say it was owned by a little old lady from PasadenaHow can you tell when a car salesman is full of shit.....there mouth is moving!

Sounds to me you don't want this car because you left the dealership without it and it is way to easy to figure out what the dam thing is really worth on the internet.

Says the idiot that doesn't know the difference between there, their, and they're. (and doesn't know how to spell "damn.")

To the OP-
Today would be a good day to call and offer them $500 less. They're sitting around bored on a Thursday morning.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Badge320 OP
Wild Hog No. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post

I know the car has been there that long, because that's when my wife bought her Pathfinder and it was on the floor the day we took delivery.

The sales guy told me that was a difficult car to move in the area I'm living in where the pick-up truck and SUV rule, it's a two seater which rules out anyone with a family, and at it's price point a lot of young people who buy smaller cars can't afford it.

I didn't leave with the car that day for two reasons:

I'm not an impulse purchaser and I don't really need the car...they approached me.

I wanted to look at some other dealerships for price comparison and research the car online since I'm not familiar with the make or model. I've already had another dealer call me and offer the same car (in a different color) at his words "I'll beat any deal by 500 to 1000 dollars". The only issue with this dealer is they are in Dallas and the sales tax is 8.25 as opposed to 6.25 here.

You're right...2016's will be coming out sooner than you think and I've got the patience to wait if I decide to go that route.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: