Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
osii OP
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,417
Tiny House Movement

Am I crazy? Well probably. But I think this whole "tiny house movement" is gentrifying or trying to re-invent the travel trailer.

I looked at these things, and they look really cool. but because they are so small, for legal reasons, they have to be built on a trailer frame. So in the end, you got yourself, a very heavy, inefficient trailer.

These people act like they are saving the world. Don't they realize people have been living in trailers since they started having trailers.

A lot of people live in trailers for precisely the same reasons these people go into the "tiny house movement." To be more efficient and save money. Wow, it's cheaper to live in a smaller structure?? What a revelation.

The guy who makes these things wants like $20k to $40k to build one of these things. Do you know how much travel trailer you can get for $10k?

osii screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 07:18 PM
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,458
what the hell are you talking about? Did you mean to include a link?

Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: DeAGMxYPTdjUA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461

??

Az
Old 07-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
osii OP
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,417
http://tinyhouseblog.com/

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
The stigma associated with living in a trailer is too much for the eco-hipsters to bear. They're just a bunch of tinyhouse park trash.

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarex
The stigma associated with living in a trailer .

There are stupid people everywhere. Most of the RV resorts that we have stayed at during the last several years are nicer than 99% of the houses and neighborhoods out there.

I Googled this photo at random and realized that not only did we stay at this same park for about 6 months, but it wasn't even on my radar as being particularly nice.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
There are stupid people everywhere. Most of the RV resorts that we have stayed at during the last several years are nicer than 99% of the houses and neighborhoods out there.

I Googled this photo at random and realized that not only did we stay at this same park for about 6 months, but it wasn't even on my radar as being particularly nice.

You're being very egalitarian but you live in a bus and thus rise above the stigma of a trailer. You're more like a turtle.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
You're being very egalitarian but you live in a bus and thus rise above the stigma of a trailer. You're more like a turtle.

Please tell me that you aren't being a dick. I wrote a nasty response - perfectly suitable for framing - but then thought that maybe I misunderstood you.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,562
Quote:

Back at the turn of the Century (boy, was that weird to type. ) when I was full-timing it, I discovered the wonder of "park models." I think that was before they were cool, but for $16K, it sure would be nice to plop on a little acre somewhere out of the way.

http://www.parkmodelsdirect.com/AT/photos.asp

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
I've had my nice Florida houses with the pool and the multiple garages to house my Porsche Carrera and my Range Rover. The wife and I much prefer being RV'ers at this point in our lives, certainly more than we enjoyed being wage slaves.

But that doesn't keep me from kicking the shit out of a dickhead like yourself that wants to make an issue of us living in a "bus" or "being a turtle," whatever the fuck that means.

You may be too much of a pussy to have noticed, but this is an adventure riding forum. And there is quite a bit of interest around here among folks that would like to have a more mobile lifestyle and who want to get out and see the planet a bit.

Anyway, I found the comment about living in a trailer to be funny because there is a certain class of people - like yourself appearantly - who are simply ignorant mouthbreathers that don't understand that there are actually some VERY nice "trailer parks" out there.

The tiny house movement I have some reservations with, but it's not because the folks don't have good intentions.

So you might consider keeping an open mind Slick. And if you don't have anything nice to say, then just stick it back up your ass from where you originally pulled your comment.
Lol, wut? You need to adjust your sense of humor. Or perhaps there is a subtext I'm missing.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Back at the turn of the Century (boy, was that weird to type. ) when I was full-timing it, I discovered the wonder of "park models." I think that was before they were cool, but for $16K, it sure would be nice to plop on a little acre somewhere out of the way.

We have a ton of those around here and by and large they look VERY nice, once again considering that the RV community here is primarily a retirement community.

There is a separate thread running today on that old subject of housing being made from steel ISO containers. If there was a genuinely portable park trailer out there that I could move every few years, and which I could incorporate a workshop into, I'd give it some serious thought.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
Lol, wut? You need to adjust your sense of humor. Or perhaps there is a subtext I'm missing.

Refresh your browser. After I flamed him you I thought that maybe I misunderstood what he you was were saying and I deleted/edited my original post.

I'll let him clarify. Perhaps I didn't understand that turtle thang.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
PirateJohn
Banned

Well ... I apologize. Evidently I not only misunderstood, but I also got confuzed (sic) with who said what.

No, I ain't been drinkin' but I think that right now I will reach for a big shot of tequila and get ready for bed.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Well ... I apologize. Evidently I not only misunderstood, but I also got confuzed (sic) with who said what.

No, I ain't been drinkin' but I think that right now I will reach for a big shot of tequila and get ready for bed.
Ah, good times. Sometimes I'm afraid I might have accidentally agreed with someone in one thread with whom I wholeheartedly don't.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,230

8'x35' 1951 traveleer travellodge

this was $2500 to buy and $275 a month space rent plus $16 utilities in 1997 in San Diego. [ a studio apt was in the hi $400-low $500 then] I could see from Mt Soledad to the Cuyamacas on a clear day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: