STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,989
Which Android phone and why

Sony Xperia Z2?

Samsung Galaxy S5

LG G3

HTC One (M8)

Oneplus One

These seem like the heavy hitters. Removable SD is pretty important for me, but in the case of the Oneplus 64gb I'd be fine without, assuming I could actually be lucky enough to get one.

Some of these are waterproof, and that is just awesome. I could be swayed with that alone.

One of the things I love about my GS3 is the removable battery. Not a deal breaker on a new phone, but...

You can't really go wrong with any of these. My Samsung GS3 has been flawless for 2 years of abuse. I've been very happy with the phone, and "like" Samsung products. Still, a new look and experience would be fun. I won't be buying on a contract, so that isn't an issue. Leaning towards the Xperia Z2...

Soooo, which one and why

Cheers
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,241
I'm not a phone geek by a long shot, but just got a Xperia Z1s and hated the size when first got it, is huge. But love everything else on the phone, FAST, easy to use and outstanding camera (20mp, I use it on 8mp and still great photos). Ohh, and most important of all, LONG battery life. Now the size is growing on me.
My wife have the S5, But I like my Xperia better.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,371
I've had a bunch of phones and I'm very happy with my S5. Being I'm on a motorcycle almost all the time I like the security of it being waterproof. I can keep it out and not worry about it getting wet. It is fast and the battery is great. I can go all day and night and still have 30-40% battery left when I go to bed. I'd buy another.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 445
Just to be an ass...

This http://www.tic-tok.net/store/product...zon-Cell-phone

Same battery since I bought it 5+ years ago. Dropped a bazillion times, still works. It's a phone, not much else.

Close enough to vintage that maybe I can sell it to some hipster douche someday...
Old 09-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,118
The Droid Maxx or its upcoming replacement.

If you need battery power and the cleanest most user friendly and hands free Android experience. It always is listening for your commands and can do anything without even touching it.

The new Moto X(2014 model being released now) is a spec monster but both phones listed have no SD card slot.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Slow Toast
pfft

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
I'm not a phone geek by a long shot, but just got a Xperia Z1s and hated the size when first got it, is huge. But love everything else on the phone, FAST, easy to use and outstanding camera (20mp, I use it on 8mp and still great photos). Ohh, and most important of all, LONG battery life. Now the size is growing on me.
My wife have the S5, But I like my Xperia better.
Another vote for the Xperia - there is something about these phones that just works. My wife is the diametrical opposite of tech-savvy, yet within the first 10 minutes with her old x10 she was adding picture ID to contacts and choosing identifier ring tones.

We now have ZLs and when this contract is up, we'll definitely look to whatever Xperia is on offer at that point. The camera is fantastic, the interface is great and the FM radio is (believe it or not) essential. I mean it - once you've had it, you will resent any phone that doesn't offer FM radio.

As petty as it may sound, Walkman music app is great - fantastic sound and ease of use - nothing else compares.

Waterproof/dustproof should be a given with any device and I don't understand why it isn't.

The bad? Well, cases are not nearly as abundant as with others. Doesn't bother me, but had to come up with some downside.....
Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
The Droid Maxx or its upcoming replacement.

If you need battery power and the cleanest most user friendly and hands free Android experience. It always is listening for your commands and can do anything without even touching it.

The new Moto X(2014 model being released now) is a spec monster but both phones listed have no SD card slot.
I just switched from the current Droid Maxx to the galaxy s5. Battery life is slightly better on the S5, the screen is much better and it has an SD card slot. It does feel significantly larger in my pocket than the Maxx tho. Not much info released on the new Maxx coming out yet.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna View Post
I just switched from the current Droid Maxx to the galaxy s5. Battery life is slightly better on the S5, the screen is much better and it has an SD card slot. It does feel significantly larger in my pocket than the Maxx tho. Not much info released on the new Maxx coming out yet.
The S5 has a battery to contend with the 3500mah Droid Maxx? I find that hard to believe. Just for straight stats, I have run screen on for almost 10 hours testing the Maxx when I first bought it. Nothing on the market has done that since. Not even the Note line which is the only other phone with comparable battery stats.

The Maxx is going to be a powerhouse. Search Motorola Quark.

Edit: just checked the battery on the S5, 2,800mAh. Good size.

brianwheelies screwed with this post 09-14-2014 at 10:10 AM
Old 09-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Toast View Post
Another vote for the Xperia - there is something about these phones that just works. My wife is the diametrical opposite of tech-savvy, yet within the first 10 minutes with her old x10 she was adding picture ID to contacts and choosing identifier ring tones.

We now have ZLs and when this contract is up, we'll definitely look to whatever Xperia is on offer at that point. The camera is fantastic, the interface is great and the FM radio is (believe it or not) essential. I mean it - once you've had it, you will resent any phone that doesn't offer FM radio.

As petty as it may sound, Walkman music app is great - fantastic sound and ease of use - nothing else compares.

Waterproof/dustproof should be a given with any device and I don't understand why it isn't.

The bad? Well, cases are not nearly as abundant as with others. Doesn't bother me, but had to come up with some downside.....
I need to check out the Sony lineup. Not sure if Verizon has anything decent from them.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,511
Samsung Note 3?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
I'm going to replace my Samsung Rugby Pro (predecessor to the S5 active) with the S5 mini when my contract us up. The other options are just too damn big.

They sony xperia Z2/Z3 compact will be in the running as well. I had a few sony/ericsson phones that were really nice back six/seven years ago.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
The S5 has a battery to contend with the 3500mah Droid Maxx? I find that hard to believe. Just for straight stats, I have run screen on for almost 10 hours testing the Maxx when I first bought it. Nothing on the market has done that since. Not even the Note line which is the only other phone with comparable battery stats.

The Maxx is going to be a powerhouse. Search Motorola Quark.

Edit: just checked the battery on the S5, 2,800mAh. Good size.
I can go two full days on the S5 and still be at about 25%, the Maxx would usually be below 10% in that time.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,045
I picked up a S5 Active a few weeks ago. I've been using the ultra power saving mode 90% of the time. you only get 6 apps in that mode. I have the phone, messaging, internet, clock and the calculator. It turns everything else off. I get 4 to 5 days out of a charge and I use the net a few times a day. I tend to take it out of the power saving mode to run the last 15% down faster so I can charge it and make sure to take it off the charge when it's full.

I just put Copilot GPS on it and that works GREAT. Has a two hour charge time. can handle up to 128gb SD card. I but a think screen protector on it and a Pelican case on it.

the 16mp camera is excellent and it shoots HD videos. I like it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
I'm a big fan of LG products. I'm a year into a G2 and have totally bought into the rear button setup. The Knock On/Off feature is killer, too. I find myself tapping all kinds of random screens trying to get them to "knock on". The G3 has a removable battery and the card slot you mentioned, which were the only things I felt were lacking from the G2. Plus, right now LG is throwing in a free spare battery and charging cradle with every new G3. And don't forget that quad HD display. It's stunning!

Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #15
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Hello guy's, I have a question about the phones that are mentioned. I like the Samsung, but I have never used one and I am on my first smart phone a 4S that is 2 years old, it was replaced at 5 months due to an unrepairable condition. I have issues as of late with it acting up and doing/not doing what its should/shouldn't. My question is can the Samsung operate as a mobile hotspot? My phone is the only access to service for my laptop. Thanks. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: