Hmmm... here's something similar, but rather fancy
http://www.prairiewindarch.com/award.html
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #722
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Alot of the proofs of concepts don't prove much of a concept, either. Most of them are built like over-funded (and under-analyzed) architecture student projects, where you might get a few points straight (roof over head...check. walls...check...what else do I need?). But space is totally unlivable 2 seasons out of the year, or it's in pieces after the first storm, etc. That beach hut...have fun replacing glass every *month* from those huge swingin' doors...that is if you survive having it rain down on you from 20' in the air. Most of these should have been done in 1:10 scale. But I guess that's not nearly as dramatic, is it?

There's alot of thought that goes into a house. structural, utilities, airflow and ventilation, insulation. They should put cross-disciplinary constraints on these concept models...if you build a plane and it doesn't fly...it isn't a plane. If you build a house, and in 2 yrs it falls apart...it isn't a house.
Agree with you in that respect - many of these tiny houses don't have year round residents, and to ME, that's the difference between a hotel room for two weeks and living in one the other 50 weeks in the year!

Our place, imperfect as it is, is a liveable house and it's got the clutter to show for it.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #723
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

GF and I share an about 1550 SF 3BR 1.75BA house. It's crowded and tiny. Narrow doorways and not enough closet space. Great floorplan, though, if it were only twice as big! I'm damn glad it's just the two of us trying to live in this little thing!
Maybe that's a floorplan issue and a quantity-of-stuff issue more than a square footage issue?

We live in a 1200 sq foot house, and it is too big for just the two of us, but too small when we have guests. I think ideally I'd have a smaller house but with a separate little guest house. Relatively small details in terms of layout can make all the difference in terms of livability, and even more so being willing to get rid of stuff.

Quote:
Alot of the proofs of concepts don't prove much of a concept, either. Most of them are built like over-funded (and under-analyzed) architecture student projects, where you might get a few points straight (roof over head...check. walls...check...what else do I need?). But space is totally unlivable 2 seasons out of the year, or it's in pieces after the first storm, etc. That beach hut...have fun replacing glass every *month* from those huge swingin' doors...that is if you survive having it rain down on you from 20' in the air. Most of these should have been done in 1:10 scale. But I guess that's not nearly as dramatic, is it?
I agree. I love the photos and blogs and descriptions, but not many of them pass the red-face test of being places a person could really live year-round. And even fewer pass the sustainability test of being houses that would work in a relatively dense neighborhood.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #724
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyr View Post
It was built with plans. ... I don't remember the name of the architect.
from an architect's perspective, that's kinda sad.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #725
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,769
Quote:
Hey, but it still looks quite nice. I swear my place was built on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #726
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
These days, that is probably a good thing. You receive many fewer complaints and hate mail that way.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #727
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
These days, that is probably a good thing. You receive many fewer complaints and hate mail lawsuits that way.
I guess it's always been a good thing in that respect. In a firm with three partners, you get to play who's-gonna-stamp-the-drawings.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #728
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
The other thing I suspect about the "Tiny House Movement" it's another, "TV? I wouldn't know. I don't even own a TV."

"2,500 square feet? Wow. What do you do with all that space? I mean, I'd get lost in there. You see, I live in 250 square feet and that's more than enough."

They'll then proceed to tell you about living in their "Tiny House" in minute detail.

That and that "Tiny House" becomes as much hobby or pastime more so than a simply a dwelling.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #729
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
That and that "Tiny House" becomes as much hobby or pastime more so than a simply a dwelling.

Think of it as the opposite of the desire for McMansions. Some people are overly proud of their gargantuan houses. Others, their minute boxes in the woods.

I'm searching publications for that 2 story cabin, as it looks perfect in size for me. As a second home I can spend long periods of time in. Depending on where it's placed, I couldn't live there as I work with computers for a living...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #730
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Think of it as the opposite of the desire for McMansions. Some people are overly proud of their gargantuan houses. Others, their minute boxes in the woods.

Exactly, two sides of the same coin.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #731
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,352
Quote:
The other thing I suspect about the "Tiny House Movement" it's another, "TV? I wouldn't know. I don't even own a TV."

"2,500 square feet? Wow. What do you do with all that space? I mean, I'd get lost in there. You see, I live in 250 square feet and that's more than enough."

They'll then proceed to tell you about living in their "Tiny House" in minute detail.

here is my mobile tiny house
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #732
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,226
35'?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #733
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly, two sides of the same coin.
and both become a labor of love, as they get to the extreme, hence both can really become a "hobby," keeping up with your lifestyle. I'm sure there'd be some who think that climbing up to haul water up to your cistern so you can take a warm shower in the middle of the winter because you chose to live in a portable "house" that is incapable of keeping utility hookups that don't freeze in the winter is just as fucking annoying as mowing 2 acres of lawn in the spring. Both are a little extreme, and take a bit of work to do. But some love it, and would have it no other way.

Alot of folks like it as a 2nd home...which means it *isn't* about minimalism...at all. It's about luxury. It's about escapism.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #734
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
here is my mobile tiny house
Live-aboard boats...that seriously deserves its own thread!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #735
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
35'?
S2 11.0 meter (36 ').....12 foot beam......<300 sf...2 story

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: