Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #76
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider
... I read an article about high-end trailer parks that kind of fit that description ... which, in the whole sustainable discussion, merits mention. Many look to taking said "small home" and surrounding it with said "small ranch" ... so net, net is that attitude moving us in the right direction. Here in Colorado, every Tom, Dick and Yeahoo who moves here wants to "live in the mountains." When that means they carve up their mini ranchette, and for this discussion, add a mini house, and commute to the Front Range, is that really progress? I know where I stand - "more trail, less road."*

Huggie-Bear
It's an interesting question.

It is a very multi-layered problem - since inheritence taxes are levied based on lands market value, families are often forced to part with land to pay taxes when family members die. This is one reason for urban sprawl.

Once we change the tax codes to permit farmland/ranches to be valued as the business value/income rather than the land value, the old "Highest and Best Use" that developers like to talk about, then maybe we can change that discussion.

I have mixed feelings - on one hand, there's a big new subdivision down the road closer to town and on small lots for about the same money - new houses and everything. And it's higher density. Some land use people feel this is better than ranchettes, but if it's got to be built on, I think I would rather see small houses on really big lots with lots of open space.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #77
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
.."tiny houses", unless you build them yourself, are every bit as expensive as some normal small houses...
most construction is higher per square foot for smaller sizes. anything you build yourself (if i understand that you are not taking a wage, but donating your time) is cheaper.

businesses have to pay someone to run down to the supplier to pick up things, overhead, marketing, et al, which the guy who whacks together a shed in his back yard never does, or leastwhile considers an expense related to the job.

"yeah; me an' sally's brutha put the roof on and went through two pizzas and a case of bud. doctor said his leg will heal almost as good as new..."
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #78
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J
most construction is higher per square foot for smaller sizes. anything you build yourself (if i understand that you are not taking a wage, but donating your time) is cheaper.

businesses have to pay someone to run down to the supplier to pick up things, overhead, marketing, et al, which the guy who whacks together a shed in his back yard never does, or leastwhile considers an expense related to the job.

"yeah; me an' sally's brutha put the roof on and went through two pizzas and a case of bud. doctor said his leg will heal almost as good as new..."
Not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the new, designer "tiny house" premium.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #79
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey
Folk around here have embraced the tiny house (trailer trash) movement wholeheartedly. Here's a shot of a tiny condo development just up the street.
Very high class, all porch couches have to be leather, or at least some copy of leather.

The word, "liar," comes to mind. Of course, I wouldn't use that word. Instead I will provide this link, http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/redneck.asp . I realize that this is JM; but, people are trying to have a serious conversation and learn about something that is sparking an interest. Please don't litter the thread with stupid.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #80
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the new, designer "tiny house" premium.

Think in terms of BMW/Mini vs. Chevette. You pay extra for perceived quality and image.

And no, I'm not justifying or rationalizing or anything. It's just the way it is. The Tiny Home guy has used significant "capital" (for lack of a better word) plugging and promoting the concept.

Once upon a time you could have your Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired house built by Wright Himself or any one of any other architect. From what I have heard many or most of the Wright house had serious practical design issues (supposedly many of them leak) but they are worth a ton of money today because they were designed and built by The Man.

Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'd be inclined to have someone other than Wright build a similar house for me if it saved me some $$$ and he'd give me a warranty. Evidently you feel the same way.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #81
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C
The word, "liar," comes to mind. Of course, I wouldn't use that word. Instead I will provide this link, http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/redneck.asp . I realize that this is JM; but, people are trying to have a serious conversation and learn about something that is sparking an interest. Please don't litter the thread with stupid.

Thanks you. I have him in my Ignore List and didn't see that, but as you said ... there are several of us trying to have an adult conversation.

There is another housing thread where one of the participants wanted to take a hiatus because of this kind of nonsense and he sent me a PM apologizing for leaving the discussion.

We have too many good conversations ruined around here by the rude and unwashed IMHO. It's a pity.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #82
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Dudes ...

I don't know the "trailer condo post" author, but I'll repeat, relax!

This isn't an academic forum. The post above was humor, I'm pretty sure. It didn't take my eye off the ball as to what is being discussed. It's not like he hammered the thread?

What next, refereed articles before post submissions. Adult conversations? Holy crap ... Mom, is that you????
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #83
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

What next, refereed articles before post submissions. Adult conversations? Holy crap ... Mom, is that you????

I keep hearing the words "peer reviewed" ...

Then again, it's been a tough day and I found out where Bosswoman hid the tequila ...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #84
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Think in terms of BMW/Mini vs. Chevette. You pay extra for perceived quality and image.

And no, I'm not justifying or rationalizing or anything. It's just the way it is. The Tiny Home guy has used significant "capital" (for lack of a better word) plugging and promoting the concept.

Once upon a time you could have your Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired house built by Wright Himself or any one of any other architect. From what I have heard many or most of the Wright house had serious practical design issues (supposedly many of them leak) but they are worth a ton of money today because they were designed and built by The Man.

Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'd be inclined to have someone other than Wright build a similar house for me if it saved me some $$$ and he'd give me a warranty. Evidently you feel the same way.
I hear what you're saying.

However, this guy ain't Frank Lloyd Wright.

I've lived in FLW's buildings. I went to school at Florida Southern College. It's the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in one place. He designed the entire campus.

Yeah. His buildings leaked, but that was because he liked flat roofs. And... Any engineer will tell you that flat roofs leak.

I'm just saying that while this is getting a little closer...

Quote:
The house is 320 square feet, which does not include the floor area of the upper sleeping lofts, and costs between $60,000 and $150,000.
...is a little expensive for 320 square feet.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #85
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

I'm just saying that while this is getting a little closer...

...is a little expensive for 320 square feet.

No argument from me. Although since it's the same square footage as my 40 ft. x 8 ft. motorhome I sorta want to look to see if there is a steering wheel in the interior.

ADDED: I have to admit to really liking the exterior look. I think that I'll put it into my files.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #86
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Quote:
... that is simple cool, I like
Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #87
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Quote:
I keep hearing the words "peer reviewed"
... I hear ya, but when you put it into action, think Sherriff Andy (smooth & cool operator) not Barney Fife (bug-eyed, over reaction)

Tequila Cheers
Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #88
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Tequila Cheers

I'm over here trying to explain my latest architectural concepts to Bosswoman. She ain't buying it right now.

But I actually like that Tiny House, and can see doing something similar with 20 ft. containers. You'd have to stack two on top of each other to do the vaulted ceiling, but I can see it ...

The siding does wonders for the appearance. Now the question is how to achieve that look and, for my purposes, devise some sort of system so that the siding doesn't blow off when you disassemble the place and move it down the Interstate.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #89
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
No argument from me. Although since it's the same square footage as my 40 ft. x 8 ft. motorhome I sorta want to look to see if there is a steering wheel in the interior.

ADDED: I have to admit to really liking the exterior look. I think that I'll put it into my files.
Don't get me wrong. I think this thing is cool as hell, but I just think it's grossly overpriced. That's all.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #90
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
The wife and I took a more realistic approach to the small house movement.
We picked up an 816 sq ft 50's ranch that needed help and started turning into our ultimate recycling project Been lots of fun so far and trying to figure out where everything will go has been a challenge. We've done 95% of the work ourselves and we're having fun.

Our Blog if anyone gives a shit

www.50patch.blogspot.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: