Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #901
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticaMT6 View Post
What about the floating houses that are popular here in the PNW? Course, they definitely aren't cheap. A bunch of them are $1M+ if you're on Lake Union.
Sausalito in Marin County has several colonies of floating homes - most have been converted to concrete based barges with houses on 'em. Most of 'em are fairly small, but only a really decrepit one will be cheap. Nice location though, some of them. And they are supposed to be great communities.

Marin also has two "Boardwalk" communities where the homes are built on a tidal flat - with a foundation that basically floats on the mud - at high tide the water is under the houses similar to a stilt house, but not every high tide every year - and they all like to a group parking lot by a 5 or 6' wide boardwalk. There are some smaller houses out on these places - and several of those are real craftsmans work. But like anything on water, cheap they are not - and boy, talk about inconvenient - I had a friend lived at the Larkspur Boardwalk, next to last house. He was about 1/3rd of a mile from his car - and everything had to be hauled out there by hand or in a cart - you could ride a bike on it. It was a cool place until a Great High Tide came up thru the floor heating vents and soaked the house in 3" of water.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #902
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Sarah Susanka, author of The Not So Big House: A Blueprint For the Way We Really Live and widely credited with being the founder of the tiny house movement.
I have that book - pretty sweet, with some interesting ideas. Not really a whole lot of tiny houses iirc...
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #903
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
I have that book - pretty sweet, with some interesting ideas. Not really a whole lot of tiny houses iirc...
I have her books too and they're interesting. But, she seems to think 1600 sq ft is small - she doesn't give dimensions so its hard to tell just how small. None of them are in the tiny category of the original spirit of this thread.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #904
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,975
Anathema

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks. I guess you are right, I was thinking about the Bedouins. I recall that Khadafi wanted to pitch a tent in New York when he came to speak at the UN and he was a Bedouin.

Just as a point of information I would love to know what type of tent this is:

But as I just wrote in the thread that was set up to discuss my project as a practical matter everyone erects a pole barn:

I have a good book on pole barn construction. Have probably had it for at least 20 years. Alas, it's in my storage in Florida at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Maybe it is just me, but stuff like this seems to run almost 100% opposite of the whole Tiny House concept. Instead of a small, well crafted space with intentional simplified living we have huge chintzy annexes for "stuff".

Less is more. If you’re making the effort to live in a smaller space, you’ve probably realized that tiny house living leads to liberation from unnecessary stuff. Moving to a tiny space means letting go of non-essentials. In return, you’ll be rewarded with more time and money, as a smaller home takes a lot less of both to maintain.-- From The Tiny House Blog-- motto: Living Simply in Small Spaces

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 11:10 PM
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #905
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Sausalito in Marin County has several colonies of floating homes - most have been converted to concrete based barges with houses on 'em. Most of 'em are fairly small, but only a really decrepit one will be cheap. Nice location though, some of them. And they are supposed to be great communities.

Marin also has two "Boardwalk" communities where the homes are built on a tidal flat - with a foundation that basically floats on the mud - at high tide the water is under the houses similar to a stilt house, but not every high tide every year - and they all like to a group parking lot by a 5 or 6' wide boardwalk. There are some smaller houses out on these places - and several of those are real craftsmans work. But like anything on water, cheap they are not - and boy, talk about inconvenient - I had a friend lived at the Larkspur Boardwalk, next to last house. He was about 1/3rd of a mile from his car - and everything had to be hauled out there by hand or in a cart - you could ride a bike on it. It was a cool place until a Great High Tide came up thru the floor heating vents and soaked the house in 3" of water.

How do communities like that handle sewage?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #906
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
dumbleweed houses are just one slice of the small (or by many people's standards micro) house movement.

There is a whole thing out there (you can't really call it a movement it's too small for that) of people who don't want a 3,000 square foot three bedroom, one den and four bath house.

Travel trailers (that's the things designed to be hauled behind a car for traveling) Just are not in the same league as some of the better designed micro houses, doesn't matter if these microhouses are on a movable foundation or not.

Mobile homes are a step "up" from travel trailers but bring with them a whole other world of stigma.

The tiny or microhouse movement isn't about the ability to be able to move the house. It's about living with much less.
The fact that these super small structures are easily moved is seen as a bonus. To some.
Spot on.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #907
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
How do communities like that handle sewage?
I lived for a couple of months in a rental in the houseboat community in Sausalito. IIRC, it was a combination of macerating pumps going into the city sewer lines and typical marina/RV sewage sucking services. (My "next door neighbor" was a converted tug and he just had his grey/black water tanks pumped every so often just like a seafaring boat)

One of the (few) semi unpleasant things about it was that at extremely low tides a lot of the boats were sitting on a mud flat with pipes running everywhere. Kind of stinky. Morning coffee on the poop deck made up for it.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer

dlearl476 screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:30 AM
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #908
lumpyrutherford
Banned

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Sarah Susanka,...widely credited with being the founder of the tiny house movement.

who 'spired her?

lumpyrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #909
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,438
Quote:
1,000 feet is not a palace, but a couple or a single person who want a single family home should not have to buy 2,500 SF if they don't want it.

There's a well known ADVrider who does not come down here who has a tiny house, that is to say a very small place but it's an older place, not hip or trendy, nor mobile, it's in an urban environment. His garage is about the same size as his house, and it's detached. IIRC, his yard is rather large. When I saw it, he was really happy to have a place that was so easy to keep clean, etc.
I know of who you speak, his house is 400 sq feet and he has a 600+ sq ft garage offsite. I've been inspired by his house (he's our neighbor) and this thread for years and finally the hubby and I are making a move. We are in the process of buying a 1000 sq ft 1933 bungalow in our same neighborhood. Not "tiny" but small enough that a few friends and family members think we are crazy.

I can't wait...let the purging begin!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #910
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Riley View Post
I know of who you speak, his house is 400 sq feet and he has a 600+ sq ft garage offsite. I've been inspired by his house (he's our neighbor) and this thread for years and finally the hubby and I are making a move. We are in the process of buying a 1000 sq ft 1933 bungalow in our same neighborhood. Not "tiny" but small enough that a few friends and family members think we are crazy.

I can't wait...let the purging begin!
Spend a year living in a "canned ham" or an RV while you renovate and you'll be convinced its a palace.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #911
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Maybe it is just me, but stuff like this seems to run almost 100% opposite of the whole Tiny House concept. Instead of a small, well crafted space with intentional simplified living we have huge chintzy annexes for "stuff".
That is true. But it does have application for small structures. If you DO "need" to enclose a space semi-permanently, for little material cost, and are willing to accept the drawbacks (poor thermal and acoustic insulation), it is a good solution.

I've toyed with the idea of a long-pole teepee design using modern materials, steel tubes, plastic fabric, and flooring system. I think you could get a liveable conical house with as little as 20' in diameter. And just like the originals it would knock down into a semi-portable kit.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #912
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
The subject of workshops and secure storage (presumably shared) has come up several times. And people say that the lack of those things is what keeps them from being interested in a tiny house.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #913
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Key West used to have a sizeable, informal houseboat community called Houseboat Row. The current Houseboat Row at a marina is just a shadow of what it once was.

The whole subject of liveaboards is tough. A lot of marinas and towns don't encourage them. I kept my sailboat at a marina that had a large number of liveaboards and some houseboats but down the road at the "nicer" marina they would have had a fit if you spent more than a night on your own boat.

Because liveaboards usually don't pay taxes the towns aren't happy. When the hurricanes hit South Florida about 20 years ago Florida City and the other towns took the view that since folks had lost their boats and the docks were gone that they didn't exist and refused any aid whatsoever to the victims of the hurricane. Likewise when a storm hit Key West the authorities used the opportunity to remove all the Houseboat Row homes from the channel and restrict them to a small marina.

I kinda came into the RV thang because I admired the liveaboards but for my own tastes an RV has proven to be more practical.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #914
PirateJohn
Banned

Tiny House Blog posted this on their FB account. Alas, it's only available in parts of the UK -

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #915
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:

I kinda came into the RV thang because I admired the liveaboards but for my own tastes an RV has proven to be more practical.

Me, too. I was working in Portland and one day I took a stroll down on the river. There was a Stevens Motor Cruiser moored with a for sale sign in it for about the same amount I was paying annually in hotel bills.

Three Stephens Cruisers from around 1930: Cielito, Bounty, and Killara
Photo by Michael Slater Copyright 2005 Michael Slater

Read more at http://www.boatingsf.com/photo-galle...lprxzmhylHb.99

I thought to myself "Why the fuck not?"

Well the why the fuck not was that only about 1/3rd of the stops I made on that tour had coastal access. A diesel pusher seemed a nice compromise. I still dream of full-timing it on a boat though. Probably a 50' twin diesel Whitcraft if I can ever find one in my price range.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: