User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #121
osii OP
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,426
You know what's funny about some people who want to justify these crazy costs?

When I get work done on my house, I always demand a full cost breakdown. How much are materials and how many man hours is the job going to take.

It clears out all the overchargers immediately. Some guy wants to charge me $40,000 for a 5 man/5 day job with $10K in materials and I know I got some serious markup on this job.

I defy anyone to spend more than $10k in materials for a 8x20 structure. and most of the FF's around here could do it for less than half that.

And BTW FWIW, if I was designing any of these they would have a one sized pitched roof covered with PV panels and a fold out section that creates a cubby on the south side of the unit for double the roof capacity.

Now something that is completely self sufficient, creates it's own energy, with composting toilets and full on waste and grey water reclamation. That's something I would pay $100k for. And it better have a sat box too!
osii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #122
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by osii

The more I examine this whole thing. The less sense it makes. On Every level. I'm all for slimming down, but there is no reason to go that small for that kind of money.
Exactly.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #123
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J
... therefore, ipso facto, small houses rock, and always will! ... thank you for your support
... interesting stuff, thx for posting.

For that matter, this whole thread is interesting: small houses, sustainability, urban planning, efficiency, less waste ... good stuff, all.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #124
osii OP
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,426
http://www.woodtex.com/

Just for pricing comparisons, I priced out a prefab 2 story garage delivered to 85303 that's 12x20 is around $13 plus options. that's 50% larger and add another $10,000 to do up the inside. you're still under $30k and you still have something way bigger.

I was looking at these to build a gigantic shed/garage out back and make the upstairs a caretaker apt.

EDIT: And that's no loft, it's a full on second floor

osii screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 03:23 PM
osii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 AM   #125
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely
I respect your resourcefulness!

Some things I forgot to mention.... Living 3 weeks with only a bathroom sink. Sleeping on a cot in a room full of sheetrock dust for 90 days. 90 days with the only chair being a filthy plastic lawn chair. I don't think I'd ever do it again, but the price was worth it....
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #126
2speed
Puching adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J

example: a 10' x 10' building = 100 square feet. also = 40 perimeter feet. given a hypothetical wall height of 10', it would mean 400 square feet of sheathing, siding, paint, et al.

now, an 8' x 12' building = 96 square feet. also = 40 perimeter feet, and 400 square feet of blah blah blah. but at a loss of 4 square feet.
Good stuff, although I my still chose the 8 x 12, only because plywood comes in 4x8 sheets. No cutting. Less waste, cheaper to build.

The thing about these tiny houses is, that how many people truly live in them year round?

I could live in 100 sq ft too....if I didn't have all the necessary support equipment for rural living in the same building.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #127
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2speed
I could live in 100 sq ft too....if I didn't have all the necessary support equipment for rural living in the same building.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #128
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
I have not posted in this small house thread, but I want to remember to follow it.

I looked up links from Parade Magazine several weeks ago.

I have known a few people who have lived on sailboats in the 38' range.

None were too modified so they could not sail anymore, but they did not tend to leave the slip when every little thing has to be put away.

Any way, when I think of small house plans, I picture the layout of a yacht, with state rooms, galley and head, and a small saloon.

Anyone interested in small house living should visit an in the water boat show.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #129
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I live in an area where at any moment someone 75 years old may walk up and claim your land with a 200 year old land grant deed. Sooo, I don't want to (and can't afford to in this eco) build a new house. I bought my 10 acres on prime wooded property in a place that is absolutely beautiful for a great price about 5 years ago but it only had a big single wide trailer on it. I have been both so busy and broke from the eco to do anything bigger yet. We have enjoyed living in the trailer as much as possible, as I moved from a really nice 2950sqft house in Albuquerque to this trailer to not only get out of the city, but out of that big house since I was divorced.

I have been thinking of an affordable solution to our living situation for quite some time and have thought thru both the pre fab and larger trailer options both of which would work for us, but I would like something a little nicer. What I might do is build on to the trailer in a way that when I want to move on from it I will be able to. possibly a couple small houses like these micro or mono houses, not quite as tiny as a tiny house, something about 1000swft each, and have a small hallway or corridor connecting them and my trailer. A way to get to anf fro each in weather. That way, they I can modify the trailer and knock out a wall and let the kids have a real big bedroom and play room, and the GF and I can have a house to ourselves essentially for sleeping, reading and a small office for me. I would love to do a tree house but the closest big enough pine is on the bakc of my land about 200 yards away. I might do a stilt house with windows that only show the wilderness portion of my land.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #130
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
....windows that only show the wilderness portion of my land.

the japans build tea houses with "moon viewing windows" which are placed on site for the exclusive purpose of, well, you get the picture!

speaking of pictures, 15 minutes on the web netted none. basically, it's a small low window (below 30" from the floor) that only captures the view of the moon during certain phases.
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #131
Mr. Jetmoto
Banned

Oddometer: 1,903
Do you think I could tow my tiny house with my new chevy volt?
Mr. Jetmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #132
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
i thought

I thought this thread was gonna be about, like, some vibration, a little settlement, maybe some hairline cracks. From just a very little bit of house movement.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #133
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,274
Quote:
I live in an area where at any moment someone 75 years old may walk up and claim your land with a 200 year old land grant deed. Sooo, I don't want to (and can't afford to in this eco) build a new house. I bought my 10 acres on prime wooded property

good thing its 10 wooded acres. gives you plenty of places to bury that 75 yr old after you hit him with a shovel.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #134
Mr. Jetmoto
Banned

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by andruboz
good thing its 10 wooded acres. gives you plenty of places to bury that 75 yr old after you hit him with a shovel.
Mr. Jetmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #135
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
What's the demographics for tiny houses? Do women dig 'em?

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: