Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #136
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 845
A typical day on the boat goes as follows. Relax, talk with some interesting folks, many new found friends, relax, enjoy the view, enjoy the view, talk with friends and relax. If I were any more relaxed I would be limp on the deck.

There was a great father and son team, called the Georgia Boys Gone Wild, who flew to Fairbanks and were bicycling to San Diego. They had some great stories, and their journey was just beginning. There was also this brilliant young woman biologist who was up in AK working with bears. She is on her motorcycle heading to WI for her masters via CA to visit family.

The two gals riding from down under riding their bikes all over Alaska were a hoot. I could sit up in the Solarium and talk to them for hours.

The dad and son team from AZ are already planning a return trip to the Aleutian islands. Chris and I have been talking about the world cup in Brazil in 4 years. take the bikes....hmmmm

The talk on the boat turns to routing to the planned destinations. Planes to AZ, cars to Michigan, motorcycles to all points of the lower 48. We pass on our local knowledge of WA and help folks get east and west the best way possible.

We are entering Canadian waters. The day is marvi, we play some cards, and Chris catches a movie.

There was an interesting pair of ladies traveling from ID. They left their HD's in Bham, took the ferry to Ketchikan, fished, zip lined and did everything else possible and caught the ferry back to Bham on its return south.

The stories of people were remarkable, like the HD rider, who was I guess 65 years young. He had a great story of summitting Kilimanjaro on his 62nd birthday.

And who let this guy on ??

Colors of the Gypsy float.

I couldn't decide if this meant you like the mother in law or not.

The Dempster Hwy is good, the Denali Hwy was good too, but we can not forget the Alaska Marine Hwy when coming up north.

Our last and final night comes to a close. The evenings are quiet quiet quiet. One could get lost out here. But make no mistake, were are approaching civilization.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-26-2010 at 08:58 PM
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #137
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoads
Awesome report! What a wonderful experience to share with your son!

We are having a lot of fun now with our kids (daughter 11 years old, and son 8 years) on dirt bikes, and just returned from a trip through the northwest where we transported the bikes and rode in 6 different dirt biking areas (in Oregon, Washington and Idaho). We are already thinking ahead to when both kids are over the age of 16 and we can take them on some of our international biking adventures.

We are heading to Alaska next summer for two months--in one of those "pesky" RVs, not on bikes. (Glad to hear that you found some nice RV-ers during your trip.) Anyway, I look forward to your continued report about the ferry, as we were planning to take that route when heading north.
Glad you are enjoying our trip. Thanks for the kind words. I know I enjoy reading RR's.

Ok I was a little hard on the RV folks. My bad. Two months, damn that is going to be one heck of a trip.

Coming up, driving to Prince Rupert and ferrying to AK would be my advice.
GL and enjoy.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #138
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktwventure
Man, you were camping in my backyard. Wish I would have kept up with your RR, I'd of bought you breakfast in Skagway. Oh well, next year maybe. LOL the picture of the guitar strummin hippies. Is one of them picking bugs out of the other's hair?
I hope we left your backyard in order! Nice part of the world. You are a lucky man

Now the bugs may have been a side effort, but the main focus from what I could gather was to help him with his dreads.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #139
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

The boat docks in B'ham at 8 am local time. But my body still knows it is 7 am AK time and we get up at 'our' 6 am to pack up and eat. At the last deck-call last night we loaded up everything but the essentials to make today easier. They also provide a good breakfast the last day. I am not sure if they had a bunch of left overs or they wanted us to be set up well for the day.

As we all wait for the call go down to the deck we all 'camp-out' along the railings and say our goodbyes and good lucks.

When they announce the deck is open we all shuffle down and try pack up and unstrap our bikes as quickly as possbile. The quarters are tight. Here is the merry band.

For those making the trip in the future, likely you will be on the top deck with the rest of the bikes. That means that you have about an hour to do this as they unload the lower section first.

Chris and I lead a group of folks to the freeway. We carry a couple folks to the turnoff to SR 20 east, one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the country. We then push the bikes up to the WA 'oki-doki' of 10 over and head home.

Getting home was a unique experience for Chris. He has never been away from home this long, and when we left it was just trying to scratch a spring out of a never ending winter. Now it was summer in full bloom. A local park was fine when we left, it was now completely gutted for the placement of several turf fields.

We both walked around the house and the back yard over and over, like a dog when you bring them home from a trip. Chris says "it smells like home, I never knew it smelt like that".

As I sat on the front step filling out our daily journal he came out, looked at the bikes at the foot of the driveway and suggested I get one last shot of the Lions. There is that feeling that I always get when I get home. One that is glad to be home, and the other is wishing I was still on the road. I thought it kind of fitting that the bikes shared that same ying yang as they made their final stop.

The ride of rides. It is really hard to put into words how great it was. Thanks for reading, it was fun re-living it all again.

The final entry in the journal read like this.

... "11 am right now. 70 degrees, quiet and warm. Feels good. Friday 7-23-10. Time for a shower and then we will be officially home..."

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 08:52 AM
Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #140
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
The final entry in the journal read like this.

... "11 am right now. 70 degrees, quiet and warm. Feels good. Friday 7-23-10. Time for a shower and then we will be officially home..."
Hey Ken, fantastic report . Way more detailed and soul than my own reports. Thanks for taking me along. It was great to see so many of the same things where I had been to. Yet, from a different angle with a different story.

I still have to do the Alaska Marine Hwy. Definitely a great reason to go back a fourth time...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #141
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
Hey Ken, fantastic report . Way more detailed and soul than my own reports. Thanks for taking me along. It was great to see so many of the same things where I had been to. Yet, from a different angle with a different story.

I still have to do the Alaska Marine Hwy. Definitely a great reason to go back a fourth time...
Thanks Thomas. I wish we had more time to chat in Hyder than we did. I think I will need to hit D2D one day to meet a bunch more inmates like yourself. You did D2d this year. Any plans for you to go back?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #142
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Quote:
Thanks Thomas. I wish we had more time to chat in Hyder than we did. I think I will need to hit D2D one day to meet a bunch more inmates like yourself. You did D2d this year. Any plans for you to go back?
Yes, D2D was a blast . Really great folks to meet up in Dawson City. Not sure if I can make it work in 2012. I have sketchy bits & pieces coming together for a RTW trip in 2012. I'm planing on going from Atlanta west, across the US and over to Russia, Mongolia, possibly Kazakhstan and eventually into Germany.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #143
Fire44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Thank you for the detailed, interesting ride report and for taking us all along on your trip. I wish it wasn't so far from our home.

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #144
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire44
Thank you for the detailed, interesting ride report and for taking us all along on your trip. I wish it wasn't so far from our home.
Glad you enjoyed, thanks.

Hey it will never be closer than it is today... and you will never be younger than you are today either

Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #145
heffe
#$%^&U*&^%$#@

Oddometer: 5,054
Great stuff, thank you for sharing.
heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #146
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,466
I woke up today with a Tropical Storm Watch and an eventual Hurricane Warning Statement, but I had to read your last leg report! The whole report has been outstanding and beautifully stated, and the pictures, wao!!! It has been a great father and son story, and again, thanks for sharing!

And now about TS Earl....let me go to the patio and start getting everything straped and secured....

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #147
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
Yes, D2D was a blast . Really great folks to meet up in Dawson City. Not sure if I can make it work in 2012. I have sketchy bits & pieces coming together for a RTW trip in 2012. I'm planing on going from Atlanta west, across the US and over to Russia, Mongolia, possibly Kazakhstan and eventually into Germany.
Now that is a trip. I would have to be retired to take that one. Keep me/us posted. I would be interested in even your thoughts or early research in a thread of some kind. The planning is some of the best part!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #148
HBr
Flirting w/Martini's law

Oddometer: 286
Great ride report! Reading it was a nice way to spend a rainy cold morning. Thanks.
HBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #149
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Quote:
Keep me/us posted. I would be interested in even your thoughts or early research in a thread of some kind. The planning is some of the best part!
I feel the same way, planing is almost 50% of the whole experience. There are a couple of very good ride reports on ADVrider (below), which I've been using as reference. Also Horizon Unlimited has excellent information.

What goes around, comes around ...Dublin to New York

Siberian Extreme 2010 - Back for More

Things are still a bit sketchy. But, by the end of this year I'll have a time-line in place to get serious about planing .
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #150
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidea
Great ride report! Reading it was a nice way to spend a rainy cold morning. Thanks.
We have one of those days here as well. Glad we could help and thanks for following along.