Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #151
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
I woke up today with a Tropical Storm Watch and an eventual Hurricane Warning Statement, but I had to read your last leg report! The whole report has been outstanding and beautifully stated, and the pictures, wao!!! It has been a great father and son story, and again, thanks for sharing!

And now about TS Earl....let me go to the patio and start getting everything straped and secured....
Damn. Makes my weenie Seattle complaints seem pretty bad. Gl with the winds. A price to pay for paradise I guess.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #152
afweinie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Thumb Awesome ride report

Alaska is going to be my retirement trip (if I manage to wait that long). I have seen many RRs up that way where the timetable seemed to take some of the fun out their trip. I think you guys did it right... and you got to share that with your son!

2011 Husky TXC511 (wannabe dualsport)
afweinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #153
ADVWannabee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
There is that feeling that I always get when I get home. One that is glad to be home, and the other is wishing I was still on the road.
I have only been on a couple short trips and get that way, I can only imagine how it would feel to end a trip like yours. Heck, I get sad when other people's ride reports come to an end and I don't get to read them anymore.
ADVWannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #154
L8APX
Slightly Oversquare

Oddometer: 38
Thanks!!

Thoroughly enjoyed your ride report!
L8APX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #155
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8APX
Thoroughly enjoyed your ride report!
Hey noob welcome to the asylum. Notice you have a HD. I have been told that is the most popular combination of bikes a bmw and an HD.

too bad I had to sell my RK so long ago now when I moved to BMW's. I loved runnin up the road on that.

Glad you enjoyed our ride, and thanks for reading. Be careful, rr's are addicting and soon you will be having to do your own.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #156
L8APX
Slightly Oversquare

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Hey noob welcome to the asylum. Notice you have a HD. I have been told that is the most popular combination of bikes a bmw and an HD.

too bad I had to sell my RK so long ago now when I moved to BMW's. I loved runnin up the road on that.

Glad you enjoyed our ride, and thanks for reading. Be careful, rr's are addicting and soon you will be having to do your own.
Both the Beemer and HD are air-cooled twins! I have to be careful not to ride one more than the other or they get jealous.

My wife and I are planning to do Alaska next year. She rides an 09 F650GS twin.

I have been a lurker for a long time, but in order to post to your most excellent RR, I joined the asylum! Thanks for the welcome.
L8APX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #157
Kletzenklueffer
n00b- that's about right

Oddometer: 37
GR8ADV- If I recall right, your son was going into his senior year in highschool. I couldn't help to think during the RR, about him returning after summer and kis friends talking about what they did for the summer. Disney, California, camped a couple nights, and Chris telling about his month in Alaska on motorcycles with his dad.

Very cool. I bet he's hooked for good on adventure.
Kletzenklueffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #158
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
What a summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kletzenklueffer
GR8ADV- If I recall right, your son was going into his senior year in highschool. I couldn't help to think during the RR, about him returning after summer and kis friends talking about what they did for the summer. Disney, California, camped a couple nights, and Chris telling about his month in Alaska on motorcycles with his dad.

Very cool. I bet he's hooked for good on adventure.
I was thinking the same thing the other day when reading this RR. He is going to be the talk of the school when it gets out what he did for summer. It would be kind of cool if Chris put together a short blurp of his version of this trip with dad.

What a memory and solid bond to a father/son relationship. Great job!!!
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #159
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Epilog

Once back I would dream of being on the trip. I would wake up having no idea where I was. This would go on for just over a week.

After a few weeks Chris and I had loosely planned a two night trip up to the mountains for a weekend away. I, for some reason, needed to get away and back into the tent. In the end Chris could not go. I went anyway. Up on Colockum Pass, an old rocky stagecoach crossing into Eastern Washington, I set up camp. So very quiet that it hurt trying to strain to hear something.

All was well until I looked over and stared at the bike; a lone lion this time. Actually it was quite a sad moment not having him there and this put an exclamation mark on it. That feeling was quickly washed away with the sense of how lucky I was to have had that month. I could take the whole report and cram it into one post and it would not add up to that feeling.

There have been many posts here in this RR about folks thinking of doing this trip with their kids. Make no mistake, it will better than you could ever imagine. An odd sense of closure happened that night; the trip was finally over. I came home a day early, happy to have been out, happy to be back.

So, now about that trip to Honduras in January...

Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #160
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
So, now about that trip to Honduras in January...

Looking forward to that trip too . You have a loyal following after the Alaska write up...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #161
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Yes this trip will be much different than the AK trip for a variety of reasons. As I am sure that your trip with Pia was different than your other trips as well.

There will be 4 of us, traveling to support the charity Water For People. We will not have time on our side and I expect it to have much more 'edge' to it from beginning to end.

We hope to take lots of video to document the ride for presentation. We will see how that goes.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #162
RockyRoads
RockyRoads

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Coming up, driving to Prince Rupert and ferrying to AK would be my advice.
Thanks for the advice about the Marine Highway Ferry.

I can totally relate to the simultaneous feelings of "glad I'm home" and "wish I were still traveling". I have felt that many times at the end of a journey. You and your son shared such a special time together--one that you will no doubt still be talking and laughing about for years to come.

One of the reasons that we are heading to Alaska for two months next summer is for the quality time that we get to spend with our children when we are on the road. They grow up so fast, and we won't get this time with them back. We traveled around the U.S. with them for 2 months in 2009, and we cherish those memories. So we got out our map and asked, "Where can we go with them next?" Alaska was calling to us. And as their dirt biking improves, I can foresee many 2-wheeled adventures in our future.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #163
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoads
One of the reasons that we are heading to Alaska for two months next summer is for the quality time that we get to spend with our children when we are on the road. They grow up so fast, and we won't get this time with them back. We traveled around the U.S. with them for 2 months in 2009, and we cherish those memories. So we got out our map and asked, "Where can we go with them next?" Alaska was calling to us. And as their dirt biking improves, I can foresee many 2-wheeled adventures in our future.
Lucky family indeed. You are living your children's memories.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #164
stfla
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great RR!

Wow! This might be the best report I've read yet and this site is full of them! As I look across the room at my son, who is only home from college until the next semester, I thoroughly enjoyed the father/son aspect of the ride. As someone who use to make his living with a camera, I thought your photography was excellent. Engaging, descriptive writing. It also looks like you've raised a good young man there too. Very nice work, all around! Thanks
Steve
stfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #165
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfla
Wow! This might be the best report I've read yet and this site is full of them! As I look across the room at my son, who is only home from college until the next semester, I thoroughly enjoyed the father/son aspect of the ride. As someone who use to make his living with a camera, I thought your photography was excellent. Engaging, descriptive writing. It also looks like you've raised a good young man there too. Very nice work, all around! Thanks
Steve
Kind words Steve. Yes what a trip. I am glad you enjoyed the read, and thanks for your thoughts.

I have cut my book buying back by 25% as now I can read a new book or two every night by clicking on the RR's.