Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #46
StroupDog
Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer: 196
Great report, those memories will last a lifetime! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more.

Mini-GiantLoop-09 RR

Jims BigAss road trip

"Living life one day at a time".
StroupDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #47
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 795
Damn this is a great trip. If you are thinking about coming up here, ya gotta do it. Text your wife/husband/partner/roommate/boss, right now and let them know that you will be gone next june/july for 3-4 weeks. This is amazing, each and every day. Seriously, text them right now.

Woke to partly sunny skys and much warmer temps today. We say goodbye to our worldly bicycle friend and head north on the Cassiar. Today we are going to Liard Hot Springs! Woo hoo. A little vacation on the vacation

The Cassiar is awesome and not to be missed. I don't think we saw 5 cars all day. And none going north. We pulled right up along side this guy and we watched each other for a while. I was so amazed that I forgot to take a picture. Actually I was afraid to take my hand off the throttle just in case

When we intersect the Alcan we head south and east for about 140 miles to the Springs. We stop at Watson lake for fuel and food. A couple riders coming north said that Liard was full, and folks were camping in the overflow lot (lots of RV's). Not what we wanted to hear.

Lunch at Bee Jays truck stop. good eats

A little Buffalo and a little greens

The watch dog was up all night.

The road is big and wide, and is like the interstate when compared to the Cassiar. We roll at 80 mph for good measure. We can feel the magnetic pull of the Liard drawing us in. There is a lot of wildlife here. Much more than the Cassiar even. Grizzly and black bear, bison, all over the place.

We arrive at Liard and they have only two spots open. We only need one and we have the lions guard that one closely.

Ok for those of you who think that motorcycle trips to AK should be rides of endurance, hell rides with no sleep, bugs, long days and other notable punishment, then you should skip over this next part.

The hot springs are DA-BOMB. We will spend a couple nights here just soaking it up.

The snow day is long behind us now...

Yea baby

The Alpha pool was HOT. It was over 120 at the far end!!

The night comes and it is time for smores. Oh yea, about the smores. My wife and I perfected the art of smore making back on a camping trip before kids, Mystic Beach actually, on Vancouver Island. Trapped in a rainstorm for an entire day, we snuggled by the fire and developed our smores; now a family tradition that the rest of the world does not understand. The smores include varying degrees of marshmallow roasting, pre heating the chocolate to the melting point on the fire, and yes, the toasting of the graham crackers. BTW when the stick comes out of the marshmallow it should be completely clean. Haha, Damn we are one sick family.

From a while back,

After 6 or 8 of these we are ready for a midnight dip. It is cold as we head to bed, but the warmth of the springs has us heated to the core.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-03-2010 at 10:34 PM
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #48
suwee
Alledged Rookie

Oddometer: 348
suwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #49
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK
Digging your report, what a great experience to have with your son.

What day were you on the Cassier? I was on it July 3rd, pretty sure I met that bicyclist as I was coming down the steep loose round gravel covered switchbacks, he was really working to pedal up that hill.
I think we me him on the 28th. If he was still on the highway on the 3rd he is doing some good sightseeing.

He took my email to update us on his travels, but I have heard nothing. Maybe he got it wrong. If anyone knows of his trip I would love to hear about it. thanks.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #50
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
Thanks, it sure looked like the guy in your photo. Hope hes doing ok, what an experience he must be having.
RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #51
Herr_Raus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
really enjoying your RR.. To be honest, your son is lucky with you as a Dad.. some great bonding going on there, I'm sure..
Herr_Raus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #52
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Good morning. Chris's love affair with the squirrels continues. I think he packed this one in from the last camp. Everybody, now, "i'm all right, nobody worry 'bout me..."

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey anybody can shoot a video of a bike on a dirt road.

With the crappy weather I set up some tarpage in the trees to keep us dry then we headed across the street to the little restaurant, hotel, gas station place. There was a rider couple in there and we began to talk. Now they looked like they had been dragged under a truck. They were two of a 1000 HD riders on a race from Key West to Homer. I guess the winner would get 500,000, they had a difficult specific route to follow (crossed Fl 3 times before leaving) and you had to follow it exactly. No speeding tickets, and no motels. They were beat, and did not look too please when I informed them that the TOW highway that was apparently on their course was dirt. 3 had already been killed and a couple other severly injured and harleys were falling like flies.

Other riders came in. Many were badly unprepared. It was cold this morning and raining hard. One guy came in wearing a leather jacket and jeans, soaked! He plodded in. Starred at the candy rack for a good 10 minutes, then walked out. Crazy.

We ate and thought that there could be no other place we would like to spend our first real crappy wet day, then hanging in a hot springs. So we spent the good part of the day doing just that. In between naps

Those pools worked just well in the rain.

And wildlife as well.

This guy was 8 inches long.

Here is a common item in most campsites up north. Water water everywhere.

We found the local hangout for campers, and the woodstove gave us a chance to dry out a bit, including the towels and suits.

Here are a couple shots of the area as you walk up to the hotsprings. This was just after 10 pm. Serious moose country here. There were large patches on the ground that were completely flattened from moose bedding down for the night last night. We would hang until after midnight.

Many locals up here tonight. The folks coming down from the north did not have good things to say about the weather up there, and the TOW was a muddy mess according to those on 4 wheels, and they actually laughed when we said we were on motorcycles. Maybe I should have told them thet we were riding BMWs. HA!! We were born to face adversity!!

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 09:50 PM
Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #53
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Raus
really enjoying your RR.. To be honest, your son is lucky with you as a Dad.. some great bonding going on there, I'm sure..
Thank you. In all honesty from my end, I am blessed in many many ways, and my son is just one of those. And yes this was both quality and quatity time spent together.

Again, thank you for the kind comments.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #54
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Awesome RR!

What great pictures and writing! My son (10) and I chase each other around the yard on dirtbikes and can hardly wait until we can move to an adventure like this. I just hope he wants to spend this much time with the old man when the time comes. You guys are an inspiration! Glad you are home safe with all those great memories. Keep the photo's coming!
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #55
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Rained hard again last night. Got me thinking about the conditions of the roads ahead. Not so much the pave, but he Dempster and TOW. After I figured out they were 5-6 hundred miles away I quite thinking about it.

Sorry not many pics today as we were on the AK highway making time. Nice road, pretty, low traffic, but not overly photo incredible, at least in these parts. I must be careful, we are getting spoiled, this is one beautiful ride. Hours of beautiful country, very very nice roadway, and almost no traffic.

Cloudy am but they skies improved by the minute. Why should I think anything else. The big guy up there knows we are riding today; break out the sun!

Well there is the Sunshine State, of FL, and yup it is pretty sunny there, and there is of course, Friendly Manitoba and they are mighty friendly folks. But I am not sure if there is any one of these more appropriate than this.

Let's see, Chris gets oh, 250 to 260 miles to the tank. We were 140 from Watson lake to here, so no way we can make it back. But there are several stations along the way, one that would put us about 200 I think. Good to go. Well we all know where this logic is heading...With an 80 mph trip down and a strong strong headwind back, we were screwed.

Off to the shoulder he goes.

I say, " I can't believe we passed gas stations with your gas light on,"
He shrugs, "well, I thought you knew where you were going"
Ah yes, one of those great father son moments.

We have a siphon just for that purpose. Just wasn't thinking we would use it on the middle of the Alcan. We situate the bikes just wrong on the shoulder. I am on the wrong side as the siphon is 6 inches too short. We Laurel and Hardy the bikes around and get to work. Yes the Adventure gas tank is big. But the gas is damn hard to find when you are down to your last few gallons. It hides down those narrow side slabs. We get it figured out finally, and he clicks the key on to see that the idiot light is out. it is. OK good to go.

I can't believe this. We were having so much fun I gave him most of my gas and can now go about 15 miles before I run out! No way I can siphon back to the beast from his bike. We nurse it to the station. "Hey dad, I only needed like half a gallon!".

If you see your sign, give us a shout out.

One could take 50 pics here and not get them all.

Very cool. I was looking for the first one. I thought of all the signs, one pointing me to the beginning would have been fun.

After a couple days off we were good to motor 400 plus miles to Whitehorse; the driest city in the country I was told. Great, warm dry, mostly sunny weather all the way up until about 2 miles from town and it started to sprinkle.

Well we needed to do some laundry, needed a shower, needed call Ms. ADV as we had not done that yet, and Chris was on life support and needed a TV fix. So we got our first hotel. We talk about whether we want to go north or west from here. The weather reports call for 60 percent chance of rain all around us north and west. Could be iffy for the Dempster and TOW, we could go west and catch them later. North it will be.

The light thing (or the lack of darkness thing) is becoming an issue. It just doesn't get dark and we don't get tired. We stay up til whenever, 1:30 tonight getting stuff out of the dryer, and then we get up, like, 15 minutes later. Well not really, but we need some sleep. Gotta figure this out. We sleep ok, with eye covers and earplugs, we just don't go to bed. This is something that all my Ride Report reading did not pick up on.

Saw this guy and his family on the way up, I hope he did not recognize me from the restaurant.

So many black bears, they are becoming, yawn, passe.

We go to eat at the hotel restaurant, which is not open. I should have checked this when we got it. Well apparently is was open, "but sir it is midnight and they have closed." That is the other thing about the light, back home the world kinda revolves somewhat around light and dark. Here it has nothing to do with it as they keep regular business hours and light does not play a part. Seems simple, but it is damn strange when you are up here.

Ms Adv is glad to hear from us. Everyone back home was getting worried cus we had not moved (SPOT) for two days until she informed them that we were near some hot springs. All was well. Busy day tomorrow with a tire change and some basic shopping to stock the shelves before we head up to Dawson. There we go getting all excited again.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 09:29 AM
Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #56
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Well we are finally in Whitehorse I laugh because we are roughly 1500 miles the quick way from home and have been gone 10 days I think. That being said I would not trade a single moment.

2500 miles or so thus far, and 10 days or so. Here is a quick equipment update for the past 10 days.

The bikes have worked flawlessly, not a hickup.

All clothing is as it should be. A couple new pieces for this trip were the Merrill goretex shoes, Merrill wickable lightweight long sleeve shirt, Merrill windproof fleece, and REI waterproof pants. All of these have been stellar and worth their weight, or lack thereof, in gold.

The Caribou bags have been a pain. Side loading, enough said there. If they are very lightly loaded they seem to close ok, but with anything other than that they are a PITA. The lids flex at the hinges if you have to 'squish' a bit so they can be weird to close, and almost every strap or piece of anything, including the lid tension strap seems to get in the way of closing. I hear about these every morning.

The emerald mountain big agnes tent with the huge vestibule is a godsend. Not sure how we would do this without all that room. And it packs down to nothing. The ground cloth extends past the fly in several places so this sucks big time in the rain and one must be aware of that. Who designed that?? When you combine this with the fact that neither the ground cloth or bottom of the tent is actually WATERPROOF!?!, the end result is wet tent floor.

Couple sets of gloves are great, I have a heated pair, summer rain gloves for most days, and airflow for the heat. So far I have needed them all and happy we brought them.

The 650 small alternator does not allow full heat and the PIAA lights, so one must be careful for prolonged periods of use.

Wool gloves and hats are a much needed plus around camp. Something I never brought on my motelling trips.

The spare tires have become my storage place of choice for just about everything from water bottles, rags, rope, bug and bear spray, you name it. I may have to bring a spare tire where ever I go.

Ok, big pile of laundry on the floor is in need of attention. At 1:30 last night we were in the 'dumping mode' not the 'packing mode'. Back at you. BTW, partly cloudy and very beautiful today and Whitehorse is a nice town.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #57
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Sounds like a great trip u will remember for ever.

[quote=GR8ADV]
The Caribou bags have been a pain. Side loading, enough said there. If they are very lightly loaded they seem to close ok, but with anything other than that they are a PITA. The lids flex at the hinges if you have to 'squish' a bit so they can be weird to close, and almost every strap or piece of anything, including the lid tension strap seems to get in the way of closing. I hear about these every morning. quote]

Good to see someone else feels the same about the side opener Pelican bags as I do..at night in the rain they are a royal pain. .

If you don't have them I'd recommend $3.00 mosquito nets (from WallyWorld) will be order in a few hundred miles...I found mosquitoes the hardest part of the entire trip. My sign at Watson Lake is below the "Caution" sign.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 02:23 PM
LewisNClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #58
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

It's more than a state of sight and sound, it is a state of mind; this is the Whitehorse Zone. What a day this will be.

I pop out to Starbucks this morning. Beautiful partly cloudy day. Same weatherman works here as back home. Being from Seattle, we are required to drink Starbucks on a regular basis; we have been shirking our civic duty. We fix that.

We divide the clothes from the pile accordingly and I pack as Chris melts into a TV comatose. He'll pack his own stuff and he can check us out. I am loaded up and will head over to the Honda shop where we have planned to get the rear TKC's swapped out. 2500 miles, they have about 1500 left in them. He can meet me there.

It is now around 10, and this is where today's twilight zone begins. Their tire guy is not working today. Crap I really don't feel like doing this myself today. They call Yamaha, no go. There is a HD dealer but they only work on HD's. They send me to Yukon Tire. I ask that when my son comes by they send him there too. No problem.

Yukon Tire is closed. I go back, to get the HD location, heck I'll try, I use to own one! Oh, and please send my son to HD if/when he shows up.

Get to HD, and they have a tire guy But their machine is down.

They say try Canadian tire. As I am burning through a set of tires just trying to find a place to change them, I ask if they can call instead of my driving all over town. They are nice enough to call. No go at CDN Tire. They try Kawasaki, no go. Kawi guys tells her that they get there tires done at the place at the bottom of 2 mile hill. She shares this with me, and she must have noticed the blank look in my face as I had no idea if the 2 mile hill was in the YT or Alberta. It didn't help that neither her or the Kawi guy actually new the name of the place either. Finally after asking around the other customers we deduced the place is Integra Tires. She calls and they can hook us up.

As I left I asked her to send my son, who would be coming here because he was being sent here by the Honda place to go to Integra, and to give him the same instructions she was giving me. And if he said, "wait, what?" that was ok, just say it again, slower.

I get to Integra tires, who are right beside the closed Yukon Tire btw, and these guys are AWESOME. Ready, willing, able and AWESOME! But first I use their cell phone to call Honda and see if Chris has shown up there yet. They say no, so I ask that they send him here instead of HD. He arrives shortly.

Tires and a brake change and we are out of there faster than it took to find someone to do it.

Bottom line is, these guys deserve YOUR business. Tire swap two bikes, great guys, eager to help $55 out the door. Integra Tires in Whitehorse (ding ding, official plug)

We need supplies so off to the superstore, we also grab sandwiches from the deli as it is now well afternoon. We sit and eat in their camping display and make ourselves at home. Everyone that came by got a kick out of that.

Hmmmm, no sign of the Milepost. Back to the hotel to see if the maids found it. Luckily yes. Off to get some more Mountain House boil-bag food. Now some gas and we should be good. We will get out of here yet. It is nearly 3. At the gas station a big tanker was filling their tanks. The line from the truck to the tanks was leaking, so the trucker wraps a rag around the line, and puts a bucket under the rag; it drips in nicely, but I don't think it is OSHA approved. The place reeks of fuel.

Checking, I need some oil too. No worries, except back home the guys at the dealer pulled a Hulk Hogan on my TT 7mm secret squirrel oil cap. When I tried to get it off the special tool brakes, leaving the device, well, not operable. I may be able to get it with my vice grips, but they are too small. The station does not have any tools other than the toilet paper dispenser. I go to the guy in the fuel truck, knock on his door; he has tools. He pops out, smoking a cigarette. No real worries, until he realizes that that may not be such a good thing so he throws it on the ground, and before he steps on it, it blows and bounces towards the bucket now half full of gas surrounded by a soaking rag. It all would have been quite funny if we weren't about to be blown the rest of the way to the Arctic Circle. I glance over and Chris's eyes are the size of pie plates. His wrench works after partial tear down of my bike to get them to fit. Hot and sweaty, as it is now nearly 70 degrees. Ok we are good to go. Look down. 4 pm, 6 freaking hours after we began. OMG in most places that would be the end of the day, but not up here, this is the good side of endless daylight, time is irrelevant. We head out.

Never ending beautiful landscape. I like it a lot as we turn off the Alcan and head due north towards Dawson. Every turn of the wheel continues this very cool adventure. We stop at Carmacks. We are really starting to settle in to what is an amazing journey. Chris befriends yet two more dogs; He should be a vet, animals are just attracted to him.

I sit down out front and talk with a guy who turns out to be the owner. We talk for quite a while about everything from the weather to economic diversity to the sounds that Ravens make. Turns out that the chairs we are sitting on came off the White Pass train that brought the gold rushers out of Skagway. We both agree, he can't ever throw them out.

I wish we had taken a picture of that moment. These are the moments that make up a true journey; not the tall mountains, not the glass smooth lakes or the sunsets. Very interesting guy. It was great to just sit back and enjoy 45 minutes of just 'being'.

We stop at Pelli crossing campground for the night. Pelli crosses the Yukon River I believe. It looks like an abandoned campground, but I think in retrospect that is maybe how they look up here. We poach a place down by the river.

After setting up camp, we walk across the street to a Gramma kitchen. Damn fine food.

It is owened and operated by a native family. We enjoy talking with the daughter of Gramma about life up there and how it is they fish the river with nets. They have had some rains the past few days, and that is the sign that it is ok for the fish to come now. They are excited. We also talked about their 'rights' for fish and game etc. When she found out we had never had moose before, she promised, and delivered, two huge frozen moose steaks to our camp later that night. What a great family they have.

Yup the mighty Yukon is cold.

Very very nice place to lay our heads. Chris scavenges for wood, builds a ring and a fire. And yes, in case you were wondering, we have smores.

Some tracks around in the sand. Some big, some small and we are not sure what they all are. We hang the food and hit the bags and bring this strange but wonderful day to a close.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 08:20 AM
Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #59
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Chris gets up first this morning and opens the tent door to a surprise. Look who greets him eye to eye right outside the tent.

This guys hangs around much of the morning.

ADV Doolitle at work. His connection to animals is cool.

We head north and land in Klondike I believe, at a restaurant and gas station at the beginning of the Dempster. It is around 1 or so, and we stop to eat before heading up to Dawson. Inside we meet Paul from MN, who was staying in Dawson the past couple of nights. Very wet, however the weather looks good for the next few days, and he is heading up the Demptster now. So who are we to doubt a stranger about the weather. He can't be any worse than the weatherman. Or can he? While fueling a truck pulls in, just off the Dempster. The driver says it starts good but turns to mud after 30 miles. We head out. This is cool!

We are not sure if we will make eagle or not. We will just ride til we don't want to any more. It is 370 k to Eagle. We will see. Whatever/Whenever back in the mix.

Below are a few pics along the way. The dempster is quite an interesting road. When it is dry, it is a 60 mph road. When it gets wet in the flats, it drops to 40. When they add gravel it drops lower. When they add gravel and it is raining one may be paddling or stopping.

We roll at 60 mph and slow to 40 in the wet sections. Just after the first picture above, Chris chirps on the radio that he has a strange sound coming from his bike. What kind of sound I ask as I stop and look in my mirrors. He is off the bike, and looking at the real wheel. He pulls off his helmet. SH$T.

I turn around. I have checked my bags for tight bolts the last few days but not his. The bolt from the cross member on the rear that supports the Caribou bags has rattled out. The brace has fallen on one side and is bouncing up and down on the rear wheel. Very lucky it had not yet been twisted up or worse yet been driven down into the wheel itself.

Here is where the caribou luggage loses it for me. The brace is made of two square bars. The bolt goes through one, and threads INTO the other. So unless you have the SAME bolt, you can not even easily strap it together. Chris has the idea to remove/swap another bolt from another area that is more easily field reparable. Good idea. We are down for about an hour or so but we get it tight. Our bad for not checking it, their bad for having a system that is really crappy to fix in the field.

A bit later the bolt holding my clutch and mirror assembly rattles nearly off. Stop and tighten. Damn this road is shaking everything lose. There is a tip here.

Today is Moose Day in the Yukon.

Here is another shot. The views are grand; a true visual feast this road is. Here you can see the beauty, and also the road itself. Note how hard, flat and smooth it is. Passing showers have kept it damp so no dust and we have seemed to miss the showers. But you can imagine how glass smooth becomes damn slippery when wet.

We make it to eagle. Interesting place, really nothing more than a working stop midway between Dawson and Inuvik. A few rooms, restaurant, gas, a shop and heli pds. A campsite off to the side. Several helicopters around, apparently for geologist and mining operations.

It is around 9 and as we go inside to check it out, we meet Paul the weatherman again. He has been there for about an hour. He has clutch problems and can not engage the clutch. He can shift while moving but he can't start from a stop without a push.

We have dinner together. Soup and sandwiches is all they have this late. BUT we have moose steaks and they let us use the BBQ. Here are the steaks cooking at around 10-10:30 at night. Told you it was moose day!

We over cook them as we drink beer. Oh well, good flavor and a nice treat from Gramma to us back in Pelli. We chat with Paul, he is not sure if he should go to Inuvik or head back to Dawson. I say, hell you only have to stop twice for ferries, why not head north. He is not sure, and the beer may have skewed my logic.

Here is one of the Heli's at around 1:30 am on the way back to camp.

Talk with some folks at the campsite. Apparently it rained like hell at the head end of the Dempster both this morning and later around 5 pm. Our 2:30 departure turned out to be damn lucky. But that is the nature of things up here I believe. Another inmate told me that regarding the Dempster, "look to the sky then decide if you want to ride or not" How true that is.

Here is our campsite for the night. Nestled in the trees. This pic was taken at 12:02 in the morning. Even the lions aren't tired.

What a road, what a ride.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 07:15 PM
Old 08-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #60
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,627
VERY COOL Keep it coming...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote