No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
Great read! The game was the World Cup final Spain v. Holland
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #107
Olslopoke
Old but cunning

Oddometer: 9
--Now I am not sure what was in those beers but I swear, if you step back from your computer, the coals look like Freddy Kruger in an army hat. ymmv

Ohhh.. I see it too and I'm kinda creeped out. No more of these okay.
Olslopoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #108
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
Great read! The game was the World Cup final Spain v. Holland
Oh, so close. But no cigar.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #109
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Took a stroll down to the lake to eat; nice view. For some reason the granola tasted pretty good this morning.

We hit the road and I notice that we are now exactly 200 miles to Skagway. Hard to believe that we only have about 200 miles of riding left until we catch the ferry to Bellingham. Whitehorse splits the ride in two, and we stop there, to look around. For some serious Whatever, we hit a Japanese restaurant for some food.

We have heard a lot about how pretty the road is into Skagway, and we are looking forward to it. As we get back on the road we are now 100 miles away, and I start to feel a little, well, melancholy. We still have some days ahead but this marks the end of the 'ride', and for those of you who are parents you know that this trip meant so much on so many levels.

Given that, I refuse to let it go, and stop to take pictures as I have this weird feeling of having to capture every drop. The good new is that this is one hell of a stretch of highway.

Looks better than the day we left.

I wasn't prepared for the beautiful high alpine. Isn't Skagway by the ocean? We have to go way down pretty fast somewhere.

We stopped at the suspension bridge, and as a good tourist we spent about 3x what it was worth to go have a look. But it was still cool.

Downstream and up.

And no, the picture perfect beauty never seems to end.

The final boarder crossing back into AK USA. From here it is tight switchbacks, as it drops down to skagway at about 11%.

I had never heard of Dyea in any of my readings. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. The turnoff is on your right less than a mile before town. 6 miles to Dyea. 6 miles of dirt wow, just like a dessert you wern't expecting.

And it just keeps getting better.

As the road wraps around the bay.

I will have to do a search on this when we get back. I love this place, and we are not even there yet.

And here is our campsite. You can tell by the lions. These are the wonderful camp hosts, and Mr. Ranger Sir.

You might notice that the tent is not in the background. Cus actually this was not our camp ground, but out kitchen. We ate here, and used the fire pit. But with the permission of Mr. Ranger we were able to take our abode out to the empty beach that fronts the river.

All by ourselves, well along with the seal that kept coming up river looking for salmon.

We liked our beach. And would spend two nights here we liked it so much.

The light breeze kept all the bugs away. The white sand kept the light long into the evening. No earplugs needed at all tonight with the hummm of the river and the occasional rumble of the rocks tumbling on the bottom.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 11:14 PM
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #110
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Dyea is going to be an interesting place. This is/was the town where the gold rushers came into port; before Skagway and the White Pass railroad. It is the head of the Chilkoot trail that they used to 'climb' to the interior.

The Canadian government made sure they had 20,000 # of supplies or they could not get on the trail. the trail includes what are referred to as the golden stairs, stairs cut into the ice (safest to travel in winter due to avalanches) to the top of the pass. It is a good 4-5 day hike now with a 30 # pack. I can't imagine back then. This hike is now on my list.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #111
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

No water in the campsite. So I make my way about 1/4 mile up the road to a nice stream coming down the mountain. We boil anyway.

We hang and enjoy 'our' Taiya River.

And the tent is hidden in there...

Chris was amazed by the flakes of gold in the sand in the river. Me too!

After a morning of exploring we head off to Skagway to do some 'urban' exploring. Nice town, but in all reality it is simply there for the boat tourists.

And every town has to have its hmmmm.

Lunch for fish and chips. And nope, still not as good as Big H's in Wells BC. We see the 'campsites" in town. Boy did we make the right call staying in Dyea. Big open swaths of gravel and lotso RV's.

The natural beauty just looking around is the jewel of the area.

We shop in some of the stores, stock up at the market and then head back to Dyea for a swim.

No keepin that boy out of the water, no matter how cold, no matter how fast.

Now it looks pretty tame in the photos, but here you can see, it is a movin.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is one heck of a day. And we enjoy a little of the gold as we chillax

It is around 6 or so and the more we think about it, being this close to the Chilkoot trail and not hiking some of it would be a real waste. So we head out to find the Beaver Pond about 2.5 or 3 miles in.

The trail starts with Saints hill, which is nearly straight up and straight down. We are told that if you get over it without cursing, you may be a saint.

The trail is great, and the views are better. It is really cool to think that we are walking, not in the same area, but in the same footsteps as all of those sourdoughs.

The pic does not grab the steepness

Along the river.

Now as we are walking around, it is clear that we are in bear country. And Grizzly country to boot. And I can not believe I sold the bearspray just the other day. We make a lot of noise.

We get to the pond, and it is very very cool.

The hike back takes on a bit more sketchy with bear scat, and the idea that if we run into a bear, we can make more noise, and likely it will go off into the woods, but since we are heading home, we need to cross where it was, and we can't just go back. We learn some new, and loud, camp songs.

And the photo "bear monitor/counter" just adds to our warm and fuzzy feeling. I would pay twice retail for that spray right now.

But we make it back about 3 hours after we left. Now around 9:30 and even the campground hosts were getting a bit worried. Nice to know they cared.

We make the fire of fires, and make the most of our last night before the ferry home.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #112
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Great report!

Game is Holland - Uruguay?
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #113
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica
Great report!

Game is Holland - Uruguay?
WINNER WINNER

You can pm me your paypal address, or better yet, post it here and others can send you money as well!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #114
YukonTracker
Ride your Way

Oddometer: 249
Darn!!! Just too late... Awesome and very detailed RR. Must be some special wonderful treat of life to be able to experience a trip like this as father and son. Looking forward for my little guy to grow up a little faster now
YukonTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #115
triumphrat
n00b

Oddometer: 2
A great experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
WINNER WINNER

You can pm me your paypal address, or better yet, post it here and others can send you money as well!
Ive been reading your posts, incredible. I first want to say that you are having a wonderful experience with your son, but tell you son that he is having an even more wonderful experience with his father. If more people did this kind of thing with their kids, the world would be better for it. Keep the photos and write ups coming. You have me hooked for sure!!!
triumphrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #116
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
WINNER WINNER

Nah, too easy. I'm from Europe and love football, I could even name the players in the pic......

If it means something to you, I think that USA did very good at the tournament, you have some quality players and in future you'll be a significant force in football (yes football, learn it, memorise it and dump that silly other term).

Great report. Wish I got a chance to do something like that with my dad.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #117
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica
Nah, too easy. I'm from Europe and love football, I could even name the players in the pic......

If it means something to you, I think that USA did very good at the tournament, you have some quality players and in future you'll be a significant force in football (yes football, learn it, memorise it and dump that silly other term).

Great report. Wish I got a chance to do something like that with my dad.
I figured Europe with your "holland" instead of "netherlands" as they would be referred to here.

Naming the players. hmmm, I think you may need to get some help

We were able to watch a few games while away, includeing both semi's in Dawson. After those games we knew we wanted to be in a place with a tv for the final. (Seward.)

And without hijacking my own rr, my thoughts on the USA is that they are a country of almost endless resources, they have a huge talent pool, and when you add in that the country is beginning to love the sport, it could be a dangerous mix for the soccer world. Has the giant been awoken??

gl

Old 08-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #118
triumphrat
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
I figured Europe with your "holland" instead of "netherlands" as they would be referred to here.

We were able to watch a few games while away, includeing both semi's in Dawson. After those games we knew we wanted to be in a place with a tv for the final. (Seward.)

And without hijacking my own rr, my thoughts on the USA is that they are a country of almost endless resources, they have a huge talent pool, and when you add in that the country is beginning to love the sport, it could be a dangerous mix for the soccer world. Has the giant been awoken??

gl
Sorry to jump in again, just realized I posted on the wrong reply!! This is intended for the dad guy riding with the son on their way to Alaska! Sorry for the mix up!
Ive been reading your posts, incredible. I first want to say that you are having a wonderful experience with your son, but tell you son that he is having an even more wonderful experience with his father. If more people did this kind of thing with their kids, the world would be better for it. Keep the photos and write ups coming. You have me hooked for sure!!!

..... and yes I think the giant may have been awoken, could the USA become a world contender??
triumphrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #119
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

gl

Is that a challenge?

Yes, a giant has been awoken. Still sleepy, but the potential is huge.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #120
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Well, the time has come. In memory of the incredible journey we ate smores for breakfast. We aired out the tent and our bags and hung out on our beach. Both sifting through our own thoughts. Sitting for a long time without having to say a word; I think it is a guy thing.

On most all of my trips the ride home is always different. I get very purposeful; I guess I smell the barn, no matter how far away I may be. I start earlier, I end later. The sites along the way seem to lose their intrigue and become nothing more than mileposts that I need to pass by to get home. It is all about clicking off miles to get home. This trip would be different. It would be awesome, right up to the point when we could get on the boat, and it would be awesome.

At the dock a few riders make their way in. Quite quiet tho. But there was no shortage of stories.

Here is our home for next 4 days. We would be camping on deck.

Ah, I am likin' this. Waiter, watier

See ya Skagway.

Interesting, in talking one of the Engineers on board, the low salinity up here, due to the glaciers, messes with their wastewater system. Also, it holds very little air and thus the 'foam' from the sidewash wake barely goes on behind the boat. Quite interesting.

Took on some more riders in Haines.

Including the BOSS

Have you ever watched a football game, when the announcers finally shut up and you can watch. Or even better in Formula 1 when the stop talking and you get the camera behind the wheel and hear nothing but the Whine of the engine for a lap. Well lets do that here. Here is the first 5 hours give or take of the SE AK boat trip, announcer free. Enjoy.

In Juneau. sometimes the decisions are easy.

Night falls. The first real night we have seen in weeks. The boat, and the boat people make for quite an adventure all in itself. I will share more stories about what it is like on the floating Gypsy Barge in the next installment.

Quite an experience, and our new trip has just gotten started.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 07:09 AM