Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #121
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,000
Are you really camping on the deck? I didn't even know that was allowed . I've been on a boat similar to that down in Chile, definitely an experience in itself.

I'm a youngster (24) just contemplating kids, but I'm hoping my wife will warm to the idea of a trip like this somewhere down the road. I'd love to take my son (or daughter) on a trip like this, definitely a solid choice in a travel companion. I wish my dad had been more into motorcycles, seems like a great chance to do something unforgettable together.

Anyway, been following for weeks, you've inspired me to start shopping for a GSA (though I'll probably get an 1150, can't afford the big dog) and get planning for AK next summer or sometime in 2012. I'll be cheating a bit as my buddy with a Landcruiser wants to join, but I might bug you for some routes via PM in the future.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #122
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Fuel range comparison: 1200GS Adv vs. F650GS

Hi;
I'm curious about your fuel range riding together. Who typically had to stop first for fuel, and how far can you go together. I've got an 1200GS that does a consistent 50 mpg, or 200 miles between fillups of the smaller tank. This range hasn't been a problem on my "civilized" trips as fuel is everywhere and I can usually use the butt-relief of the stop.
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #123
RockyRoads
RockyRoads

Oddometer: 250
Awesome report! What a wonderful experience to share with your son!

We are having a lot of fun now with our kids (daughter 11 years old, and son 8 years) on dirt bikes, and just returned from a trip through the northwest where we transported the bikes and rode in 6 different dirt biking areas (in Oregon, Washington and Idaho). We are already thinking ahead to when both kids are over the age of 16 and we can take them on some of our international biking adventures.

We are heading to Alaska next summer for two months--in one of those "pesky" RVs, not on bikes. (Glad to hear that you found some nice RV-ers during your trip.) Anyway, I look forward to your continued report about the ferry, as we were planning to take that route when heading north.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #124
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanwannabe
Hi;
I'm curious about your fuel range riding together. Who typically had to stop first for fuel, and how far can you go together. I've got an 1200GS that does a consistent 50 mpg, or 200 miles between fillups of the smaller tank. This range hasn't been a problem on my "civilized" trips as fuel is everywhere and I can usually use the butt-relief of the stop.
Wow 50 mpg, I seldom get over 43 on the ADV. At the speed limit the Adv gets at least 360 per tank. The 650 gets 250-260. Having a range of less than 250 miles up in AK would be a PITA in my opinion. So no matter what bike I had, I would carry extra fuel for a range of 250 miles and not worry about it all the time.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #125
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,290
We were scheduled to go to AK this summer, but work and other issues got in the way. There were other reasons, but we overcame them. But I finally gave in. Now we are starting planning for next summer, not easy on the pocket for me given where I come from!

I really liked this report, great father and son story that inspires one to do the same. My daughters are not really inclined into motorcycling, but the ride with me from time to time. Your story is starting the flame again!!!!

I bought a pair of Pelican Top loaders, that you may consider. Mine will be mounted into Happy Trails racks. This is my ride, with what I call city panniers.

Great pics! (BTW which camera are you using?) Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
Kick that "could" make it a "will" and you will be on your way. You will both never forget it, And his 'never' is one hell of a long time

We were challenged in our planning. Many things, heavily disguised as reason, will try to get in your way. But obstacles are things that get in the way only when we lose sight of the goal. It will take some arrangment, some sacrifice, some money and some effort to pull it off. But nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

I hope to be reading your RR soon. GL
"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian

"Avoiding danger is no safer than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure, or nothing" - Helen Keller

Longaniza Ride
Ruta del Café

locorider screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 04:48 PM
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #126
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
great ride report! what tent did you take?

jimmy
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #127
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

The ferry is not just a ferry. It not a cruise ship either. It is a floating home/rv/campsite/park bench/highway. Well now that I have seen it, it is the Alaska Marine Highway. And as the vehicles on the road are all different, so are the people on the Boat.

The boat has several levels and fortunately, many legends on the walls to help you remember where you are, and/or where you are going. There is a front lounge on each floor. a theater, a heated outdoor (covered) solarium, a rear deck on each floor, two restaurants and a bar. And these things called washing machines and showers. I will have to look up what those are when I get back.

You an camp on either back deck. We chose the lower one below the solarium as there are less people wondering around and potentially less wind.

Here we are on the lower back deck. You can see that we are no longer alone.

And the solarium, quite calm at the moment. From the outside looking in.

And he inside looking out.

You are not allowed to be on the car deck during travel. So, no RV or car to sleep in. They only have a few cabins (avoid these the rest of the boat is toooo fun) and everyone else pitches a tent or mostly grabs a lounge chair throws their bag on it, staking their claim for the duration.

My favorite bed.

In fact every horizontal surface and chair becomes someones home and/or bed. And not just for the night. You are with these folks for days. And because car access is limited, everyone brings everything up that they may need. It gets crazy to watch. A floating thriving community.

Oh yea, did I mention study hall too.

There are single folks, families large and small, bike riders, truckers, RVr's, bicycle riders, circus performers (yes, really with juggling tools etc), old, young, a true potpourri, no make that a jambalaya.

When we got on board in Skagway there was only one other tent. We hurried to get up there, and could not believe that they beat us. We never saw who 'lived' there until after Haines. Turns out a Dad and son from AZ took the boat up from Bellingham, got off in Haines for the day to go look for bears and left their tent up so it would be there when the boat came back to Haines later that day. Sure enough it was there, and they sailed all the way back to Bellingham.

The ferry goes places that Cruise ships can never make. Here we are winding out way to Sitka.

And the waters were amazingly calm the whole way.

We had a 3 hour lay over in Sitka. Just enough time to take a quick tour. One great town. I believe it was here that the first settlement occurred in 1799. Given that those Russians were apparently not to kind to the natives, the natives killed them all and buned down the fort. So if you can believe the guy driving the bus that is the story. However, those who know the whole story know that this was just the beginning for the Russians as Sitka became the headquarters for Russian Alaska.

A beautiful russian orthodox ST Michael's Cathedral.

Also a cool site is Castle Hill where Alaska was sold to the US back in 1867

We sail to Petersburg

Those of us tenting on the back deck, really have it all to ourselves. Seldom does someone else come by. It is a visual feast as I run from side to side looking at what mother nature has in-store for that moment. Beautiful mountains, calm water, whales, eagles, and, it appears, the Edmonds Fitzgerald

The Boats around Petersburg

This is a beautiful town. And I wish we had more time to explore.

Quite a day; our 30th away from home. The boat trip is a trip all in itself. I can now see the attraction of the dad and son from AZ to make the trip.
Darkness falls upon us as we head into Wrangle Narrows.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #128
aktwventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Man, you were camping in my backyard. Wish I would have kept up with your RR, I'd of bought you breakfast in Skagway. Oh well, next year maybe. LOL the picture of the guitar strummin hippies. Is one of them picking bugs out of the other's hair?

'89 PC800, aka Cream Puff
'07 TW200
aktwventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #129
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctr
great ride report! what tent did you take?

jimmy
The tent you see is the Big Agnes Emerald SL3, with the optional huge vestibule.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #130
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorider
Great pics! (BTW which camera are you using?) Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
It is a Costco special, point and shoot Lumix. I had never heard of them before but was surprised to see several of the same cameras on the trip.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #131
BOOGIEMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
What Camera Did You Use On This Trip?

The Pictures Are Outstanding. What Camera Did You Use?
BOOGIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #132
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIEMAN
The Pictures Are Outstanding. What Camera Did You Use?
One post up buddy. Also, Lumix is made by Panasonic.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #133
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Today we dock in Ketchikan at around 8 am and we have a whole day here. Now in Seattle we get about 35 inches of rain a year. In Sitka they get over 90, and here they get twice what they get in Sitka. Damn! That is 5x Seattle rain; that's wet. I have been checking the Baro pressure on my pathfinder watch. It is dropping fast.

It rained last night, and upstairs in the solarium early in the morning some folks are not too pleased. Those just outside the roof are drenched and many inside are getting hit with a leaky roof. Every inch of real estate is accounted for.

If you look across the water from the boat dock you can see the airport. Apparently this is the most expensive (cost per mile) place that Alaska air serves. Well that is what a monopoly will do I guess.

An uber short ferry serves the small airport and a few nice homes. Hey they should build a bridge to here and get rid of the ferry; naw, that would kind of be like a bridge to nowhere...

We head off the boat and catch a bus to downtown, or the old part of town called Creek Street. In the day all of these places were brothels.

Now there are shops and stores. But very very well done.

For what ever reason, we find lots of cool stuff to buy here to take home. We have found very little thus far, but this place does it for us. While shopping Chris starts to laugh, and he comes over and says "dad check this out" . They made a Calendar. It is a 2011 Sara Palin Calendar. Now when I travel I like to find local things I can't find anywhere else. This is a keeper; ring me up, this is going in my office.

The people in the shops are local and great.

We want to go see the Totem Poles in Saxmon. So we head for the Bus. It looks as tho it will never come so we hitch. No luck, but we end up scoring a ride with a local delivery guy who just happens to be from Ketchikan, and who just happens to be delivering a sandwich to City Hall in Saxman. He is proud of his city, and he should be. He has some good info and stories.

Here is the carving house.

The door is open as we have just left. When closed there is no handle to open it on the outside to open the door and enter. It apparently is only opened from the inside and visitors enter by invitation only. Somehow, we just drifted in as if it were meant to be.

We asked the craftsman if it were ok to take a picture.

People look in through the windows as have a nice chat about the red cedar he uses, about steaming a canoe, and about his grand daughter that is this week returning from a trip to Seattle at Camp Orkila, a wonderful camp on Orcas Island. A very nice man indeed.

On the ground looking up.

The man with the top hat is a Clan Leader.

An important home I assume.

An eagle of course

And just a block away while looking around the area, we find the inspiration.

How did this day go by so quickly After a trip to the store we head back to the Boat for a 6 sailing.

We take on a few more folks and we are officially full ...

As the boat sails we have tonight, all day tomorrow, and tomorrow night left before we hit Bellingham early in the morning. This is our last port. The boat trip is remarkable; the sky is every changing, and the evening views are stunning.

It just dawned on me, that we started in SE Alaska, and we have been sailing for days, and you know what? We are STILL in Alaska! One big place.

What a day, and what a night.

I just found out that you can rent pillows for a buck. Count us in. It seems like forever since we have had a real pillow. Ok not real tough guy ride report stuff, but damn it feels good.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 11:27 PM
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #134
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 618
Wow. Really really like your pics of SE AK. its a long way from here (or anywhere) to SE AK but worth the journey. My last bike ride to "the 48" in 2000 included an Alaska Marine Highway System ride from Prince Rupert to Haines for the northbound homeward leg and really enjoyed it. Your pics suggest its time to do that again. thanks for the pillow renting tip, didn't know that.
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #135
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder
but I might bug you for some routes via PM in the future.
Hey bug away, but your best served by hitting the AK forum. Those boys and girls know it all. I am merely a visitor to the great land of Alaska.