Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
Airhead OP
More human than human

Oddometer: 2,099
Cylinder head protectors for R100GS?

Hi All-
First post from a lurker. Here's my question...anybody know of a source for cylinder head protectors for an '89 R100GS? I've owned the bike for 3 years, and have recently begun riding more difficult trails with it...actual singletrack as opposed to fireroads. The bike has all the standard fare...crash bars, skid plate, center stand plate, etc. However, the cylinder heads are totally exposed to damage when the bike tips over in a slow crash. I'd like to find something like the guards Touratech makes for later model GS's...any suggestions appreciated!
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
An alternative idea

I don't have an idea that would satisfy your original request. However, when I picked up my 93 PD last winter the original valve covers were in poor condition. They had been down enought from minor tips overs or crashes and were thin in spots.

After checking on the price of new BMW OEM covers, I found a better answer: San Jose BMW sells really cool aftermarket covers that are much much thicker and beefier for about $175. That was about $30 more than the OEM covers new. I had to wait a few months to get mine as they make them in batches X/times per year and I ordered at a time when they were out of stock. I think these things could take a 50-75mph crash w/o problem.

I can take digi pics and post if you're interested in how they look, or check the San Jose BMW site and look for the "CC Products" link.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:08 AM   #3
Airhead OP
More human than human

Oddometer: 2,099
Great suggestion, Tom...Thanks! I'll take a look at the website...and if it's not too much trouble, pics of them on your bike would be great!
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
BWalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I would like to see photos of these covers, too. I've seen too many GS's of all years with holes in the covers from tipovers.
Pittsburg,Tx
BWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 44,227
They sort of look like mine, but more highly polished:

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
They sort of look like mine, but more highly polished:

Summer:

That's them. However, mine are black. Not painted, but powder coated directly from them. The fins are not coated, but the rest are.

Pics from the SJ BMW site:

I'll do some pics in a few days. The PD's in the barn and it's surrounded by snow right now. However, the pics you posted show how stout they are.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:17 PM   #7
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 44,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_vervaeke
Summer:

That's them. However, mine are black. Not painted, but powder coated directly from them. The fins are not coated, but the rest are.

Pics from the SJ BMW site:

I'll do some pics in a few days. The PD's in the barn and it's surrounded by snow right now. However, the pics you posted show how stout they are.

Tom
Tom,

I thought they might be the same, but just an earlier incarnation.

Snow, hunh? My favorite saying: When Winter rolls around, the only white, powdery stuff I want to see on the ground is sand.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:21 AM   #8
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_vervaeke
After checking on the price of new BMW OEM covers, I found a better answer: San Jose BMW sells really cool aftermarket covers that are much much thicker and beefier for about $175. That was about $30 more than the OEM covers new. I had to wait a few months to get mine as they make them in batches X/times per year and I ordered at a time when they were out of stock. I think these things could take a 50-75mph crash w/o problem.
Tom
There's also www.motobins.co.uk (I think they're probably less than the OEM ones, although shipping to you would cost more) and ... there're some (maybe wuedo.de or gletter.de, one of the German BMW sites) that have ones with oil filler on the left side one.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote