ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #31
foul plug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
it sounds like there are some serious GPS users on this thread. SO have any of you used any of the garmin topo maps that are available like the 24K for a specific region? How does it compare to delorme topo?

Gettin ready to pull the trigger on a PN60 or a garmin and only experience I have is with a zumo which is a differnt beast altogether but still the same crappy customer service and weak software.

tnx for any info on the garmin topo maps you guys might have.
foul plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #32
TAPnTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I think there are more options for the Garmin units. Garmin recently released new 24k Topos of the entire united states. You can buy them in regions.

I prefer the Garmins 62/78 76/60 for their screen size and readability.

The PN-60 is very visible, just a smaller screen and not quite as visible in direct sun light.

I currently use a 76cx, and have been using a 76cs since 2004. The screen is always visible in any light conditions and the units gets awesome battery life. I can usually do 3 full days of riding on standard Duracells. That is no back lighting of course, but it is not needed in the daylight hours.

Here are some real world examples when I was testing them against each other.

The PN-60 and the 76cx were mounted on the same platform, so there screens were both on the exact same plane. I tried to get shots that made both screens look good.
Although the Garmin screens were not near as critical to this as the Delorme screen.

Todd

09 Kawasaki Versys

TAPnTX screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 08:13 AM
TAPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #33
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPnTX

I prefer the Garmins 62/78 76/60 for their screen size and readability.

The PN-60 is very visible, just a smaller screen and not quite as visible in direct sun light.

Todd
Do you have a screen protector on the PN60 or did you leave the one that ships with it on it?
I peeled mine off, the photos look kinda like there is one still on it?

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #34
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,069
Nope, there's no protector. I know because that unit was the one I returned and he picked up a few days later. I didn't bother to put the protecter back on it when I took it back.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #35
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 296
revive?

OK. Narrowed it down to the PN-60 and the 60Cx.
Major use: hiking and road riding. Not freeways. Rare dirt road. No back country. I ride an older road bike.
Some say the DeLorme is fine for following a route; some say it's lousy and slow. Which is it?
The maps: Garmin will make me lose an arm and a leg, and then I can't ride. that may be the clincher: deLorme's maps.
So: road riding, route following, little bit of POI (gas stations and camp grounds) --what's the recommendation?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #36
_vortex_ OP
snow snow snow :(

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Major use: hiking and road riding. Not freeways. Rare dirt road. No back country. I ride an older road bike.
Some say the DeLorme is fine for following a route; some say it's lousy and slow. Which is it?
The maps: Garmin will make me lose an arm and a leg, and then I can't ride. that may be the clincher: deLorme's maps.
So: road riding, route following, little bit of POI (gas stations and camp grounds) --what's the recommendation?

Still happy with my PN-60. But it didn't get as much use this summer as I would have liked... mostly hiking, and toying with it in the car and on the bike. No real route following.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #37
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
Delorme will follow a route just fine if you created the route on the PC program, It does not make it's own routes as good, unless you like dirt roads as it would route you on some roads you might not want, You can make ton's of routes on the PC and load them all to the unit or SD card and open them any time you want. so for that the PN60 works fine, but on it's own it is lacking for it's Routing Prowess.
Hiking it would be good.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #38
zanardi
zanardi

Oddometer: 15
Pn60

I thought I'd weigh in... I've used my Delorme PN 60 on a 3 day offroad excursion through the rocky mountains and over the continental divide, no issues at all. very easy to see and use.

I've also used it sea kayaking on the Canadian west coast, and the maps/charts available are right on the money.

Because it has all the features like barometer and altimeter, IMO its perfect for guys like myself do do lots of outdoor pursuits other than adventure motorcycling, ie hiking, back country skiing, mountain biking etc.

I'll be using it to ride across Canada this coming summer as well..

In summary, there's lots of good ones out there, but if you're thinking of this one, trust me, its worth every penny.

safe riding !

zanardi

2009 F800GS
zanardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #39
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
Lots of good info here. Would appreciate some advice/opinions as to what best suits my needs.

This summer I'm doing the CDR and want to download tracks (maybe routes) used and posted by others. Might be nice to have a couple showing at once as everyone seems to do it a little different. I don't need it to tell me "turn in 5 minutes". I think in most cases the trail or road is pretty obvious. However, if I do get off track, lost. or just exploring, I'd like to stop and use the GPS to find a way back to where I should be.

Or, if I'm just tooling around an area like Big Bend or Durango or Mojave something to show me the available trails. AND to get me back to civilization if needed.

On road while I have an old 2730 I really use it very little. If I'm going from San Antonio to Helena MT I prefer usind MapQuest to determine best route then using maps. I might enter next town in just to get ETA.

It would be nice to be able to find a specific address and sometimes a list of nearby restaurants and motels is handy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks -Hap
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #40
DirtNap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I bought a PN-60w to use on the western TAT ride this summer. Last September my riding buddy and I rode the eastern TAT using garmin nuvi gps'es. They worked very well, with a couple of caveats.

1. not waterproof. If you've ever ridden with me, you'd know that I can end a drought by just planning a motorcycle trip.

2. garmin gps don't really understand tracks. They want to convert them to routes, which is OK most of the time. But, you will need to use a number of via points to be sure the calculated route matches the track you wanted to ride.

Having said that, the nuvi worked OK on the eastern TAT.

I bought the PN-60w + spot for the western TAT for several reasons.

1. sending text messages through the spot is a really nice upgrade from the "I'm OK" message my v1 spot sends.

2. garmin wanted me to buy the maps that were on my nuvi so that I could plan a trip on my pc and then upload the routes to the same nuvi. bullsh*t. I already paid for them once and I won't pay for them again. This lock code and that unlock string stuff is crap and I won't buy another garmin product - ever.

3. Delorme understands tracks. It also understands routes, if that's what you need. There was just a firmware update that added some real enhancements to the find function.

4. Delorme maps are very nice, and for $29 a year you can purchase USGS quads and aerial photo maps for your trips.

5. Topo 9 is complicated, more so that mapsource. But, it is many times more capable. I was quite familiar with mapsource and I still struggle with topo9 sometimes. Patience is a virtue that I don't always exhibit.

6. You will learn about layers. Trust me.

7. It's waterproof, which was a big drawback for the nuvi. Well, only when it was raining. Or submerged. You will learn about Tubby Bottom. Trust me.

That's my reasoning, for what it's worth.

"when the going gets tough, just downshift"

2006 Goldwing | 2007 BMW F650
DirtNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #41
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtNap View Post
I bought a PN-60w to use on the western TAT ride this summer.

2. garmin gps don't really understand tracks. They want to convert them to routes, which is OK most of the time.

That's my reasoning, for what it's worth.
To be clear, only most Garmin street GPS units "don't really understand tracks", with the Zumo having some limited track features.

The hand held Garmins and Garmin Mapsource are what 90% of all dirt riders use for their track needs.

True the PN-60 and the new Garmin 78 do hold much more "Saved" tracks but the universal standard 60/76 will easly hold 2,000 miles of tracks for a long trip.

Bottom line your comparison should have been between a PN60 and a similar Garmin unit, not a unit intended for street use.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #42
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
Actually I think the Delorme is an itch I have to scratch. I ordered the PN60 SEw with the SPOT. The 30 day return policy is nice.

Because I mostly will fololw tracks podted by others (CDR TAT) instead of inventing them I'm hoping this will be just what I need.

Will report in 30 days. Have Big Bend trip at end of this month.

-Hap
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #43
klrmtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Pn-60

I'm a PN-60 follower. For my use in creating a route on the computer and uploading on the 60 and then following it is perfect. That is exactly what I want it to do. The 60 does much better routing on the unit than the older 20 and 40, but still not great. It's best strength is the Topo 9 and loading routes. I also use it mountain biking, great there too. Hope it works for you, can be a little trying to learn Topo 9, but it's not that bad and there is great forum support to get your questions answered.
klrmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #44
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,070
World Base Maps available.....

I am in the process of downloading a base map for A-Stan just to see how it looks... I will post up when I get it...
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #45
WHKED RIDER
WHKED RIDER

Oddometer: 7
Concerned & Confused

Hello All. Ok I have read through the posts on the thread and agree that most of what I have seen other riders in the dirt using are the Garmin products. I have only owned one handheld dinosaur model Garmin GPS12 that doesn't even have a map. It works great for going exploring to the point of getting lost and backtracking but not much more. I am pretty sure I am going to stay with a Garmin but I have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me with.

1. The old Garmin 60CSX is the tried and true standard but is being phased out as the 62 series comes into play. Should I save half the dough and buy this model that is already battle tested although it has no on board memory and moderate speed redraw?

2. The new Garmin GPSMAP 62s model looks like a real winner except that there is no waterproof power cord plug in. The photos I have seen of this unit show that the power is via mirco usb and exposes not only the usb area but also the external antenna port. Not sure if the usb would even stay plugged in if the water resistance wasn't an issue. This unit has been describe as extremely fast on redraw, good in sunlight and spot on for accuracy with minimal wandering on the track. I have not found a hardwire plug available either so that battery operation isn't a requirement for long distance rides. Given the water resistance and lack of power options is this really the best deal for a Dual Sport arena?

3. The new Garmin GPSMAP 78s model on it's face also looks like great deal. It isn't until you read the reviews that you find the altimeter basicly doesn't function and the barometer is limited. Those may not be major issues for most riders and it does offer the old standard round NMEA plug for water resistance on an available plug, but what I did find as major problem was that this model has a patch antenna and pretty much needs to be kept flat for accurate tracking. The biggest concern I have about this unit is that REI removed it from their website and very few if any reviews are avaialbe for this model at all. I looked all over the place and only found a handful of reviews. Some of those are posted on paid gps review sites which really do no more good than repost what is on the gps box.

So now that I have spilled it on my concern and confusion can anyway help with some clarification or suggestions of which way to go and why?
WHKED RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote