ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #61
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
I didn't have a suitable computer for loading Topo 9 until recently. I installed the software in the new Windows 7 machine, plugged the GPS in with the supplied USB cable, and it updated the firmware in the GPS and pulled down my tracks from last summer's trip through the Coeur d'Alene National Forest. It displayed a very nice map of my path. I did the whole thing in about an hour. I can see how the interface could be challenging, but what it does automatically was impressive to me.
My experience w/ my PN-60W mirrors yours. The interfaces for the GPS and the Topo 9 software aren't exactly intuitive but everything seems to inter-operate as it should. I'm also looking forward to acquiring and using the DeLorme inReach unit with the PN-60W. I ride solo most of the time, and being able to call for help in the absence of cell phone service seems like a better alternative than cutting off an arm with a Swiss Army knife while pinned under my porcine XR650L.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #62
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,908
Too bad you can't connect the PN-60 into a larger display. Seems a cheap 5" or larger display would make it so much easier. Or is that possible using the USB connection?

GlennR screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 04:08 PM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote