Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #151
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
ABS is a huge advance in motorcycling safety. There's nothing wrong with not buying a bike because it lacks ABS. I wouldn't buy a car that doesn't have ABS, and while my bike doesn't have it, I can 100% see why some people demand it.
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #152
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If you are truly this concerned you may want to rethink riding all together IMO.

If you are truly this concerned about other people's perfrences you may want to rethink trolling in every thread with the letters 'ABS' in it.

No one is here seeking the mighty Dakez's approval.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #153
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
There is nothing wrong with wanting ABS Brakes but not buying the bike you want simply because they are not offered on the bike is sadly pathetic. Especially a bike as capable as the Versys.

If you are truly this concerned you may want to rethink riding all together IMO.
We've just about had enough of this crap from you.. Every time in any thread in RW that someone says they want ABS.. Enough already. I'm leaving your post in this thread and this is my last final and public request.

p.s. I don't want to turn this thread into an ABS thread, there's a long running one in the Riding forum. I've had ABS on my bikes for the last 12 years.. Never cared for it one way or the other. Last year, riding home from work in the rain, I see a car wanting to turn left across my path to the plaza on my right. I check behind me, no cars, I slowed down just in case. I keep an eye on him, he slows down and comes to a full stop in his lane signaling his turn. I look behind me, no cars. Ok, he sees me. I'm about 30 meters from him, he decides to turn, I apply both brakes hard enough to activate the ABS on the front brake, I see I'm not going to stop in time.. I think to myself, "this bike is toast", then he stops in the left lane in which I'm riding, I gently push on the right bar with the brakes applied and pulsing and steer clear of the hood of his car.. I look back at him... the driver must have been in his 80's.. he stayed stopped for a bit longer than he proceeded.

Without ABS in this case, I would have gone down for sure.

Some folks like ABS and others don't. If you don't like ABS, don't foul every thread with your anti-abs condescension every time someone says ABS. When you do this, thread hijack is on, and the Mods are called in to clean up. We are not here to babysit any one inmate.

GB screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 07:12 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #154
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
GB FTW!

Now post a picture of a Versys or I'm reporting YOU to the mods for
your offtopicness!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #155
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441

I have nuked my poorly written post. PM sent.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #156
SloLife
Masher

Oddometer: 21
Talking New to the scene

Hello new 2nd family, just stopping by to let y'all know I just picked up my 2012 Versys last week!!! Pictures will be here soon. Anybody know where I can find some soft bags?....
SloLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #157
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloLife View Post
Hello new 2nd family, just stopping by to let y'all know I just picked up my 2012 Versys last week!!! Pictures will be here soon. Anybody know where I can find some soft bags?....
Welcome! Can't wait to see!

Are the 2012's available with ABS?

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #158
SloLife
Masher

Oddometer: 21
Not the best picture....

But here it is!!! http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2464/0208021054.jpg I really can't complain about the bike, only have 300 miles on it so far but they've been 300 AWESOME miles!!!
2002 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Versys
SloLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #159
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,663
I had back surgery January 5th. I am still recovering... stopped at a Kawasaki dealer yesterday. They had a nice 2010 Versys with a nice price on it.

It was all I could do to get a leg over it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #160
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloLife View Post
But here it is!!! http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2464/0208021054.jpg I really can't complain about the bike, only have 300 miles on it so far but they've been 300 AWESOME miles!!!
those 2012's look GOOD to me. Of course, I don't think an '09 looks bad, but they really kicked it up a notch.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #161
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,811
The Versys sort of looks like a 3/4 size Triumph Tiger 1050 to me. Have any of you ridden both bikes? I wonder how they compare in handling and also the size/weight specs. I'd like to see them side-by-side.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #162
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
The Versys sort of looks like a 3/4 size Triumph Tiger 1050 to me. Have any of you ridden both bikes? I wonder how they compare in handling and also the size/weight specs. I'd like to see them side-by-side.
According to bikez.com, the 1050 weighs 502 pounds and the Versys 454. I have a Versys and I've ridden the 1050. I would say the weight difference FEELS like a lot more! I wouldn't even CONSIDER taking the 1050 on a dirt road, but I take the Versys on them all the time.

The 1050 also has a TON more horsepower. Strictly a street bike in my opinion. Of course, the Versys is a streetbike too, but I feel the weight allows you to take it on dirt as long as you have some traction. Get in any mud or sand, and even the Versys is a handful.

YMMV.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #163
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,101
The low weight of the V, compared to my old 1150GS, was a major plus. It doesn't have the suspension or 2up power of the GS either, but makes up for it in running costs and overall fun.

I hadn't had a bike with a 17" front in a while, at first I kept turning into corners too early and not getting on the gas fast enough .
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #164
gravelhappens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I had a Versys 650 and a Tiger 1050 together in the same garage for a while. The Versys was my wife's bike. I still have the 1050. I never thought about how similar they looked until thy were parked side by side. The Versys does look like a smaller 1050.
While I love my Tiger 1050 I was surprised at how many times I chose the Versys. The Versys' throttle response was VERY smooth compared to the Tiger. The 650 also was amazingly fun on tight twisty roads. The lighter weight, smooth throttle, and eager engine made it a back roads blaster. Where I could really use almost the full potential of the 650's engine I had to respect the 1050's awsome power.
Both bikes were very comfortable initially but I found that the Versys always scooted me forward even after buying an after market seat. The Versys was also had much more vibration at Interstate speeds. Although the Versys had ample passenger accommodations for a 650 we always took the Tiger when riding two up and any time I was traveling between states or for more than a day.
The lighter weight of the 650 really made itself felt on dirt roads and trails. Yes, I took my Tiger occasionally gets dirty. Neither, in my humble opinion, is a dual purpose bike. There are better choices on the market for dual sport riding but it is not impossible on either the 650 or the 1050. If I was doing a lot of dirt roads I would choose the Versys.
Now that the Versys is gone I do truly miss it. We put both up for sale when our second motogirl in training came along. The Tiger had almost no interest while I got calls on the Versys daily. People were generally intimidated by the size and power of the 1050. In three weeks the Versys was sold along with a Suzuki 800 Intruder and a Triumph 900 Sprint Sport.
I'm interested in eventually buying another Versys to get my wife riding again. I'm curious if there is really that much difference between the newer rubber mounted engines and seat of the newer versions and the first generation Versys. There are a few of the older 650's selling for a great price. Does any one think the newer versions are worth the price difference? Any one ridden both versions of the Versys?

Devon

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
gravelhappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #165
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelhappens View Post
...I'm curious if there is really that much difference between the newer rubber mounted engines and seat of the newer versions and the first generation Versys. There are a few of the older 650's selling for a great price. Does any one think the newer versions are worth the price difference? Any one ridden both versions of the Versys?

Devon
Great perspective on the 1050! Spot on!

Yes, I had both a 2008 and now a 2011 Versys. Although the rubber mounted engine is the biggest change, there are a lot of other small improvements in the 2010+ version, and yes, I find it VERY "worth it". The styling changes alone sold me. When I decided to sell my Bandit 1250 and get another Versys, I originally wanted to find a used one. After I test rode a 2011, though, I wouldn't go back to the first-gen. They're very good and can be had for amazing bargains, but if cost isn't your main concern, I feel the second-gen is worth the extra dosh.