Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
gjcarving OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Anyone Switch from 950/990 to Super Tenere?

Hello. Just curious if there are any owners here who made the switch from a 950/990 series bike. Would love to get some feedback on why?, and the personal differences you feel between the two. Also, what kind of riding you mostly do. Any other relevant input would be appreciated also. Thanks.
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,885
Couple!

Of posts on here about that. I had a new 950 Adv S in 06, that I put 20,000 miles on. Loved the dirt prowess but had a hard time with the wind management. Very fun machine but kinda high maintenance and I was always worried about reliability in the back of my mind but never had any real issues to speak of. It was getting a little clickity clackity in the engine department just before I traded it in on a new 08 BMW GS1200. Really enjoyed the Beamer for 4 years but didn't enjoy the recalls and Dealer experience. Or as a whole the BMW experience. Again always worried about FD failures but never had a problem there. Had an engine knock which we couldn't seem to cure so sold it and bought a new 2012 S10 thinking I was stepping down. Shocker. I like the S10 better and oh, so nice to be on Japanese again. No worries. Just wail on it and grin. 46,000kms now and 0 issues. Valve adjust was a pain but hey, its done now. Don't be shy. Buy one ,you'll love it. Thinking of the new 2014 S10 now after checking it out. Nicer bike overall.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I'd like to hear too.... I'm all over the place again

I have a 990 now - I've owned 3 GS'es before.

I like the 990, but if I could be honest, I don't love it. It is better in the dirt than a GS, but I feel like it gives up too much road performance to get there. I also find myself missing shaft drive on a distance machine.

Truthfully, smaller 4 strokes are just so much more fun in the dirt than the bigger bikes (despite the 990 being very capable) that it has me re-evaluating my choices again. The big twins will be for exploring now, not "testing the limits of where it can go" - type rides. So, the ideal stable now is a plated 4 stroke, a green sticker 2 stroke and a "camping/distance" bike with shaft.

The S10 is on my radar because I hear it is better in the dirt than the GS and better on the road than the KTM plus it's way cheaper to buy and run than either.

My only hesitation is the "excitement factor". I hear the S10 is dull .... now I know about the flash and the clutch mod, but again I worry it's too boring even with a full arrow exhaust.... I dunno

I know the new KTM 1190 is plenty exciting and is the benchmark for the class now, BUT again, shaft drive is very appealing to me. Plus dealers are getting full list + fees for new 1190's BUT leftover '12 Ravens are 11K right now.

Ugh - decisions, decisions......
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
this might sum it up - from another post in another thread:

"I've been thinking of getting rid of my Tenere. I even test rode a couple of bikes recently.

It's not really that there is anything wrong with the Tenere, I like it a lot, I just don't love it. It does everything I want it to do, and it does it all fairly well, but it doesn't do any of it really great.

It's a good commuter bike, but I wouldn't say it's nimble in traffic.

I've gotten on the highway and ridden for 9 hours at 85mph, and felt pretty good at the end of the day. But not great.

I've ridden over a few Colorado dirt passes and a bunch of dirt roads. No problem really, but it was a little scary at times, all that weight. But I do a lot of squats, so I can pick it up myself.

And I've run some winding roads and it was fun, but not awesome.

And to me it's a flat out ugly bike.

I thought maybe I could give up the option to ride dirt roads, so I went and test rode some cruisers. But I don't want to give up the Tenere's riding position or lean angle.

Bottom line there is no other single bike that would do everything an adventure style bike will do. And no other adv bike is as reliable and cost effective as the Tenere. But it feels like what it is, the correct answer to a mathematical equation.

So I guess I'm the closest to an unhappy owner as we've gotten. I want to love this bike, it does everything well. I just don't feel passionate about it.

I wanted to edit this reply to add that yes, I know, firstworldproblems. Lol."
Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Sold my 2006 ZX-14 and 2007 KTM 990 with both bike having more mods than I care to mention. The ZX was a drag bike but till street leg land the KTM was my every day bike. Decide to get one bike that I could hope on and ride all day and not worry about something breaking. Looked at all of the adventure bikes and went with the Tenere.
My has CMJ, BMC air cleaner, Arrow full system, and. PCV with accustom dyno tune map by Ken wheeler. It is faster than the KTM, I can do 600 mile days carries ton of gear, and is a fun bike. Last fall went on a trip with FJR and Blacbird in eastern KY. We all traded bikes nod all agreed the S10 was as fast as the FJR and Blackbid to about 85-90. It would come out of corner faster than the others, and smoother on the road.
The only negative is I purchased a motorcycle lift and it is covered in dust as we speak. The Yamaha just works.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #6
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post

My only hesitation is the "excitement factor". I hear the S10 is dull .... now I know about the flash and the clutch mod, but again I worry it's too boring even with a full arrow exhaust.... I dunno
Yes it's dull. It just starts, drags you all over the countryside, over all kinds of terrain, delivers you after 600km feeling great, doesn't complain, runs on any shit fuel you throw in it, chuggas up hills two up with 500lbs of gear, comes home and has you sitting around in between wondering what to do with your lonely sad life.

So you have a choice I suppose. Spend that extra cash on reflashes, arrow headers, turbocharges, ohlins suspension, Go Pros' video editing software, fuel, hotel rooms, c-words, camping gear and twat suits.
Then spend the money you save on running the thing on SD cards for your multiple c-words and taking the SO out for a nice meal in a far away town.

After that you can try to think of anything to post apart from slide shows of the "boring" time you had flying through some really nice countryside on roads it has no right to be on and moan about the boring time you had.

Just look at the S10 thread and see how hard people try with nothing much to talk about apart from riding.

It's a friggen boring life but it suits some of us.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 04:45 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Boring??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yes it's dull. It just starts, drags you all over the countryside, over all kinds of terrain, delivers you after 600km feeling great, doesn't complain, runs on any shit fuel you throw in it, chuggas up hills two up with 500lbs of gear, comes home and has you sitting around in between wondering what to do with your lonely sad life.

So you have a choice I suppose. Spend that extra cash on reflashes, arrow headers, turbocharges, ohlins suspension, Go Pros' video editing software, fuel, hotel rooms, c-words, camping gear and twat suits.
Then spend the money you save on running the thing on SD cards for your multiple c-words and taking the SO out for a nice meal in a far away town.

After that you can try to think of anything to post apart from slide shows of the "boring" time you had flying through some really nice countryside on roads it has no right to be on and moan about the boring time you had.

Just look at the S10 thread and see how hard people try with nothing much to talk about apart from riding.

It's a friggen boring life but it suits some of us.
I'm contemplating getting a BMW, either a F800gs or the gsa version. And, now of course the S10. Why? The issues of cost, finding dealerships. Now as for boring, I'm okay with that, if it means less cost, and a very reliable machine. Now, If I can get a good price??
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
MrTwisty on this site went from a 950 to a Tenere. Send him a PM if he doesn't see this post today. He can give you all the info you need.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarving View Post
Hello. Just curious if there are any owners here who made the switch from a 950/990 series bike. Would love to get some feedback on why?, and the personal differences you feel between the two. Also, what kind of riding you mostly do. Any other relevant input would be appreciated also. Thanks.
I've owned both the KTM 950 Adventure and currently own the S10, but did not move directly between the bikes. I had a GS and V-strom in between.

My 950 was an early model and it was a total PITA. After every ride of more than 50 miles, something broke and had to be fixed. I was constantly tearing into that bike.

To me, the engine was completely pedestrian and hampered by horrible fueling. The MPG was horrible, never more than mid 30's. I did everything to those carbs, but never got it running more than about 80% of where it should have been.

The suspension, once modified was wonderful, however, factory original tuning was not so much.

The braking was horrendous. I mean, using the exact same brakes from the BMW F650???? Reaallyyy???

Road manners and wind management were average at best, and I do mean, at best.

I could go on and on..... Get the impression I didn't like the bike?

And, the best part is six month after I sold it, the engine completely grenaded on the new owner and the bike became a parts donor bike sold on Craig's List..........
Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
A very timely post,,
I've owned my Super Ten for 2 years. Bought the bike new.
In 14,000 miles the only problem I had was 1 leaking fork seal.
I changed the oil and filter about every 4,000 miles $40-50 bucks using good motorcycle oil and Yammy filters.
New break pads and flushed the fluid a couple weeks ago.
That's it, no more no less,,,, So as GrahamD said it's a pretty dull bike.

I used the bike mostly for commuting but I have also taken some good romps in the desert. The bloody thing is a tractor. The twin is a powerful and torquey motor. My experience has been, it's a great bike with good fuel return until I went off pavement. 45 - 55 mpg on the pavement then it drops below 40mpg off road. The bike is in "sport" mode all the time.

Now to your question about the 990 vs the Tenere. Two totally different riding experiences. I can't say the 990 is "better" than the Tenere but I wouldn't get rid of my KTM 990R for the Yammy no how no way!!! (unless I was using the bike for a daily road rider.) The Yamaha can't compete off road, not even close. But if you want to enjoy long stretches of asphalt with some off-roading thrown into the mix the Tenere is a great bike.

I would look for a good used ST and keep the KTM.

As a side note,, I'll be trading my Super T for a 2014 Triumph Explorer XC tomorrow. The price on the triple was to good to pass up. The Yamaha saw about 90% road 10% dirt so the big triple should fill the bill nicely. The Triumph feels better on the pavement to me than the Yamaha. And I really enjoyed my Tenere. But it's time for a change.

I am not a fanboy for any one machine. They all have good points and shortcomings. It really comes down to,, how is the owner/rider going to use the machine and only you my friend can answer that.

I'm switching from a Super Ten to a Triumph.

WJR
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I put 25k miles on a Super Tenere, before totaling it and going to a 990 Adventure (that I've now put 11,000 miles on). So, I had a back to back comparison, but the opposite direction as you're thinking.

I have a page on my website dedicated to a real-world comparison:
http://www.mikef5000.com/motorcycle-comparison.html

In extremely short:

The Tenere has better brakes and hauling capacity (2 up with camping gear, and it won't break a sweat), and the maintenance and reliability are Yamaha bullet-proof.

The KTM is quicker, and capable of much more aggressive riding, both on road and off. It feels much smaller, and begs to be abused like a little dual-sport. But at the cost of more maintenance.

If you're not an aggressive rider, the S10 will give you better service intervals, and less worry about reliability. But if you're aggressive, the KTM will reward you with a much more exhilarating ride with much higher limits.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote