Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #121
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Oddometer: 26,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Going for a one-piece lower trans mount?

PS - Looks great...

i had thought about doing a one piece mount with two pieces of flat bar heading forward off the tube to each side of the trans ears... then i cut some pieces of round stock to see how it looks if i cut that tube and do two mounts similar to the bormi type. i'm undecided. what are your thoughts?

ps. ebay has been quite good to me the past few days

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #122
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
i had thought about doing a one piece mount with two pieces of flat bar heading forward off the tube to each side of the trans ears... then i cut some pieces of round stock to see how it looks if i cut that tube and do two mounts similar to the bormi type. i'm undecided. what are your thoughts?
Well, the stock frame rails do a pretty good job of picking up those lower trans mounts

OK, sod that

Generally if one piece can do the job I like it better than two. A couple of things to think about:

The lower mounts are only carrying a vertical load for the mass of the transmission. They need not serve any location function at all. The new forward mount and the top transmission plates you have fabricated will give you all the location control you need.

Since those lower mounts only carry a vertical load (OK, cantilevered back to the foot peg mounts), the front (where it attaches to the trans) can actually be slotted

It would be neat to combine this with a battery mount if you are putting one down there anyways.

You will lose some room for the exhaust system, depending on what your final design looks like. If there is a 2-1-2 collector down there two pieces (Bormi Type) might be the way to go

So, just as a rattle-brained idea
  • I would make sure I was pretty far along on exhaust system design before I committed.

• I would run a cross tube like you have, but further forward and a bit lower as required for tire clearance (it gets tight back there), but I would run a larger diameter tube (essentially it is a torque tube)

• I would think real hard about making the whole thing out of aluminum, but a combination of box and round section thin wall steel would probably be almost as light.

• I would have blade mounts running forward from the torque tube to the lower trans mounts

• I would make all the pieces as straight as possible (I am not a big fan of bending for bending's sake

• Since all four blade pieces (Two from the tube to the foot peg mounts, two from the lower trans to the tube) would be of reasonable length and thickness, expense and machining should be reasonable

• It would be easy enough to jig up

• I would leave myself a half dozen C-Hairs on either side of the front trans mount for shimming and production variance

Quote:

ps. ebay has been quite good to me the past few days
I was rooting for you

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #123
Loadedagain OP
making chips

say stock frame rail again and i'll thump you with one. i now have two spares you know.

some very good points i hadn't thought too much about. tire clearance in particular. i was more thinking of the swingarm, then keeping things up and back away from where the exhaust will hide. looking at the mount itself i don't think it needs to be there for the trans and engine as much as it does the rear of the frame and swingarm. i'm new to guzzi so i could be wrong. as you said the heavy "battery tray" and vertical mount from the bell housing to the frame (to be made) cover the horizontal and vertical locating and loading in the rear.

for battery i was going to do a "no-no" and mount it up high inside the tail, right behind my bum. my logic is it's out of the way. quite honestly my 200lbs is a far more significant weight penalty than a few ounces of battery.

i'll do some measuring tomorrow. the tentative plan is to try it like the piece of paper below. i made up a couple .400" aluminum spacers to sit on each side of the trans for shiftification later if necessary. nothing is carved in stone since it's a bolt on mount. if i don't like the way it looks on my bike i'll ebay the bastard. it may look great on someone elses.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #124
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
say stock frame rail again and i'll thump you with one. i now have two spares you know.

some very good points i hadn't thought too much about. tire clearance in particular. i was more thinking of the swingarm, then keeping things up and back away from where the exhaust will hide. looking at the mount itself i don't think it needs to be there for the trans and engine as much as it does the rear of the frame and swingarm. i'm new to guzzi so i could be wrong. as you said the heavy "battery tray" and vertical mount from the bell housing to the frame (to be made) cover the horizontal and vertical locating and loading in the rear.

for battery i was going to do a "no-no" and mount it up high inside the tail, right behind my bum. my logic is it's out of the way. quite honestly my 200lbs is a far more significant weight penalty than a few ounces of battery.

i'll do some measuring tomorrow. the tentative plan is to try it like the piece of paper below. i made up a couple .400" aluminum spacers to sit on each side of the trans for shiftification later if necessary. nothing is carved in stone since it's a bolt on mount. if i don't like the way it looks on my bike i'll ebay the bastard. it may look great on someone elses.
Good point about the battery. If I see one more 300 lb Ducati rider with carbon-fiber cam-belt guards I am going to scream like a little girl

If I was looking to use this to stiffen up the swing-arm area, then I would do exactly what you have with one addition:

To your two blades running forward, I would take out the curvature, then I might grab a piece of rectangular tubing, cut it lengthwise at an angle and then weld the open end (where you cut it) to you blades with the width of the rectangular semi parallel to the ground.

Long story short: Two triangular box sections with you current blades forming one side of the box.

Anyways, you have this pretty well scoped out, so don't worry too much about my lobbing some ideas. You will still get it right, and maybe better, if I am hit by a bus tomorrow

Not even close to scale

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori

Jinx screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 02:22 AM
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #125
Loadedagain OP
making chips

always nice to run things by the masses to see if the turd floats... i do value your input very much. you've been over these bikes a time or three. the public nature of the forum has helped me with loads of detail pieces over the years so hopefully these little bits can serve as an example (read: warning) to some poor sod who wants to take a perfectly capable bike and turn it into a clap trap.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #126
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
Are you guys using some new unobtanium feather-weight battery technology or sommat?

A conventional battery big enough to crank a Goose is going to effect your centre of mass considerably, I would think.

My 2 cents... with interest and some wonder from the cheap seats.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #127
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Are you guys using some new unobtanium feather-weight battery technology or sommat?

A conventional battery big enough to crank a Goose is going to effect your centre of mass considerably, I would think.

My 2 cents... with interest and some wonder from the cheap seats.

they're obtainium these days. the little gel cells are almost a third of the size and are actually pretty light (in comparison). take a look at that green bike... he mounted one down low. .... don't get me wrong. i'm not totally sold on the plan of moving it up, but it would make things cleaner.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #128
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
Quote:
they're obtainium these days. the little gel cells are almost a third of the size and are actually pretty light (in comparison). take a look at that green bike... he mounted one down low. .... don't get me wrong. i'm not totally sold on the plan of moving it up, but it would make things cleaner.
Ah, 1/3 weight gel cell. I see.

On the green bike, iz'zat the ally bit between the trans and the zorst?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #129
Loadedagain OP
making chips

you got it. this is the little guy right here:

Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #130
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,663
Quote:
you got it. this is the little guy right here:

I really, really need one of those hydraulic clutch setups.

Great think-piece guys, old Tontis are a canvas waiting for an artist. Your's found a good one.
Nessman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #131
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Oddometer: 343
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh give me the original SP anytime
Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #132
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman
I really, really need one of those hydraulic clutch setups.

Great think-piece guys, old Tontis are a canvas waiting for an artist. Your's found a good one.

apparently that's a stock dirtbike part. i see them around $250 on ebay.
... a quick google says $229.50 - http://www.oncycles.com/browse.asp?d...y=multifitment

Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #133
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,663
Thanks Loaded,

Do you happen to know which one fits or do they all?
Nessman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #134
Loadedagain OP
making chips

ok ... i fabricimated something up today that may fit the bill nicely. as jinxy posted it may need some gusseting. it's hard to see in the pics... the blades are 3/16". pretty thick! measured tire clearance and it is ok with the size i have. i've got more forward room than to the side of the swingarm... holy shit that's close!

the part looks like so -

bolted on the bike -

Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #135
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman
Thanks Loaded,
Do you happen to know which one fits or do they all?
i've been told a kawasaki klx400 is the one to get. i'm probably going to go that route myself. if you haven't figured it out by then i'll let you know... if you figure it out please let me know!