User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #76
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
You guys did great! Nice bikes!
I think as time and miles go down you'll all realize the super value the DR is. The DR is a bike that won't demand all your time, money and attention in 3rd world exploring with constant break downs, maintenance and repairs.

It's a bike that lets you get on with your trip, enjoying what travel is really all about. (whatever that is for you!) Trips where the bike and its many woes are always center stage, quickly becomes tiresome. The DR never upstages .... just a willing partner, always at the ready.

The more you ride the the DR's ... and then compare (back to back) with other ... more expensive bikes ... you'll discover like so many, that this bike is pretty capable whether droning highway, strafing back roads or blasting down dirt roads ... And it's just so bloody tough!

Be careful out there guys, have a great trip, looking forward to a Ride Report!

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #77
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1
On your 3rd bike? Perhaps you should get a LC bike so you won't have to keep replacing them.
You should learn how to read!
The 91 was traded in on the 97 (@50,000 miles) and the 97 was totaled out within 200 miles of reaching 50,000.
The 09 I have should last 100,000 if I don't get hit by a cager again.
Only needed 3 bikes from 1991 till now (all of them DR's)...Don't know why I'd want to fix what isn't broken by adding liquid cooling and an Achillies Heel.

What was the legitimate point you were trying to make? None of the DR's ever failed.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #78
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
You should learn how to read!
The 91 was traded in on the 97 (@50,000 miles) and the 97 was totaled out within 200 miles of reaching 50,000.
The 09 I have should last 100,000 if I don't get hit by a cager again.
Only needed 3 bikes from 1991 till now (all of them DR's)...Don't know why I'd want to fix what isn't broken by adding liquid cooling and an Achillies Heel.

What was the legitimate point you were trying to make? None of the DR's ever failed.
I'm on my third bike since 2004, so I'd say you're doing pretty good
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #79
kpatrick
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
A WR250R won't cruise down the highway, huh? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595729

I've got mine geared down (13/47) and it pulls 6th gear at 70 mph (actual) all day no problem. By "all day", I mean 17 hours and 1,010 miles
Well, you certainly deserve some sort of award for putting 17 hours and doing 1010 miles on a WR25R in one day! I am sure one can cruise around the world on a TW200 if they really wanted to. The point I was trying to make is that one would be really pushing the WR in the upper RPM range to cruise for thousands of miles (when encountering freeways and other high speed roads) on a round the world trip. I didn't make any remarks on whether the WR could handle high RPM riding for thousands of miles, just the fact that one would be "spinning" at higher rpm's than a DR or XR650L.

I don't know about you, but I would rather be a little more comfortable and have some extra steam on top. I have had XR650L's since the '93 model came out and never had a problem with cracks in the subframe, but I have certainly heard about it and know it is possible if you push the bike too hard in rough terrain or overload it. As far as the seat that someone commented on, I guess it's subjective. For long rides, I like the 650L seat over the WR stock for stock. I am not trying to make any WR owners upset, it's a great bike (except the rear shock) it just wouldn't be my first choice on a ride such as the OP is considering. I do however currently commute on one.

Overall, I think that the OP made a good choice in the end with the DR for the trip he has planned.
kpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #80
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatrick
For long rides, I like the 650L seat over the WR stock for stock.

Overall, I think that the OP made a good choice in the end with the DR for the trip he has planned.
Good comments. I have two 250's, I'd not travel on either one. (KLX250S and WR250F (not street legal) ) I don't like the idea of riding a bike up near it upper rev limit for a year long trip.

No question about the seat ... jeez , WR seat is about six inches wide? The XR-L seat about 10" or 12" wide! Corbin used a make a seat for the XR-L. HUGE difference. Becomes an all day platform.

I'm selling our '09 KLX250S if anyone is interested. 3K miles, mint, girls bike.

I have a Corbin on my DR, very happy.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #81
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,793
The WRR seat is miles ahead of the WRF seat, fyi. Don't get me wrong, my rear end sure did hurt after 3,300 miles in a week, but it is still a lot better than the F seat.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #82
Dancamp

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatrick
Well, you certainly deserve some sort of award for putting 17 hours and doing 1010 miles on a WR25R in one day! I am sure one can cruise around the world on a TW200 if they really wanted to. The point I was trying to make is that one would be really pushing the WR in the upper RPM range to cruise for thousands of miles (when encountering freeways and other high speed roads) on a round the world trip. I didn't make any remarks on whether the WR could handle high RPM riding for thousands of miles, just the fact that one would be "spinning" at higher rpm's than a DR or XR650L.

I don't know about you, but I would rather be a little more comfortable and have some extra steam on top. I have had XR650L's since the '93 model came out and never had a problem with cracks in the subframe, but I have certainly heard about it and know it is possible if you push the bike too hard in rough terrain or overload it. As far as the seat that someone commented on, I guess it's subjective. For long rides, I like the 650L seat over the WR stock for stock. I am not trying to make any WR owners upset, it's a great bike (except the rear shock) it just wouldn't be my first choice on a ride such as the OP is considering. I do however currently commute on one.

I understand your point but there is something else that has to be considered.

In a round the world trip you have to consider what kind of roads you'll be travelling. If the roads are mostly paved or gravel roads the DR is definitely a good choice. If you have to go through a lot a trails or roads with mud or craters all over it, the WR is better. The comfort is something we have to work on on any motorcycle. If the roads are made like war ground by the climate, the caracteristics of the WR would render it pretty comfortable compared to the DR.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #83
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancamp
I understand your point but there is something else that has to be considered.

In a round the world trip you have to consider what kind of roads you'll be travelling. If the roads are mostly paved or gravel roads the DR is definitely a good choice. If you have to go through a lot a trails or roads with mud or craters all over it, the WR is better. The comfort is something we have to work on on any motorcycle. If the roads are made like war ground by the climate, the caracteristics of the WR would render it pretty comfortable compared to the DR.
Exactly. And pretty much anyplace outside of the US, you won't find very many 70 mph interstates that run for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Doing a rtw trip, you'll actually run into very few long, high-speed roads and the little WR is just smooth as silk at 55-60 (smoother and imo even more comfortable than the DR at those speeds) where you'll be spending most of your time.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #84
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
we bought.....

We bought Dr650's. If I had extra cash, I'd buy a wr250r as well.Could a wr250r haul 3 hard bags? Pelican cases side and rear? Shit, for that matter, can the dr650? I'm going to assume that the dr650 will be be capable, and that the wr250r would struggle slightly. For around town, into the random wilderness, and for enduring style trail riding, a wr250r would be my axe. But for chopping down the world, I chose the dr650.
--Alex
bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #85
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

I've seen aluminum side cases on a WR250R, but I don't think I've seen anybody using pelicans.

The DR will definitely haul more gear, so you've got that going for you.

A good friend of mine just did a pretty big trip on a DR - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460743
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #86
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Wrr

I know you like your WRR and I like mine just as much--but--the WRR is just not the right choice for 3rd world travel. Any 3rd world mechanic can work on and most likely fix the DR. A bad fuel pump on the WRR--never find one. Then there is the anti tip switch, the rear subframe, its relative newness (don't expect to find parts) the new fangled digital dash--which I would not give you a nickle for, no place to put a tank bag, very very limited fuel range even stock--much much worse if it is uncorked, yep you can put on a safari--then what have you done to your weight--really neat tail light that self extracts, then there is the radiator, fan, ECU and on and on--but mostly it is a matter of you can't beat cubic inches, simplicity, commonality and availability. Besides, the DR can do everything and I mean everything the WRR can in the dirt--maybe a tad slower but it can cover the terrain. Had all three and ridden them extensively--I would have choosen the DR also.

Quote:
Exactly. And pretty much anyplace outside of the US, you won't find very many 70 mph interstates that run for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Doing a rtw trip, you'll actually run into very few long, high-speed roads and the little WR is just smooth as silk at 55-60 (smoother and imo even more comfortable than the DR at those speeds) where you'll be spending most of your time.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #87
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Waiting on a fuel pump myself . . .
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #88
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101
Pelican cases side and rear? Shit, for that matter, can the dr650?
Yes - plenty of rack options for the DR, some even use Pelicans. I wouldn't recommend a top case if you're going to do anything rougher than pavement. They tend to keep the weight too high, too far back, and tend to strain the mounts on rough surfaces -- or at least they seem take much more agitation than the lower and more forward mounted side cases. I've seen many top cases come off. I think the best option is to keep the soft stuff (tent, sleeping bag, etc.) in a tough water-proof duffel and put that on the tail section, back of the seat, or across the side panniers.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #89
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
The WRR seat is miles ahead of the WRF seat, fyi. Don't get me wrong, my rear end sure did hurt after 3,300 miles in a week, but it is still a lot better than the F seat.
Too True ... but on my F model I rarely sit. Leg cramps are my biggest problem!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #90
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101
We bought Dr650's. If I had extra cash, I'd buy a wr250r as well.Could a wr250r haul 3 hard bags? Pelican cases side and rear? Shit, for that matter, can the dr650? I'm going to assume that the dr650 will be be capable, and that the wr250r would struggle slightly. For around town, into the random wilderness, and for enduring style trail riding, a wr250r would be my axe. But for chopping down the world, I chose the dr650.
--Alex
You made the right choice Alex.
The DR can most certainly handle hard bags over the long haul. But I recommend against it. I've run both hard and soft on my DR. I ran GIVI E41's in Baja, with a big duffle on the back. Off road handling was not good. Rocks and deep sand became more difficult.

Be very careful about over loading. Hard bags make it easy to carry too much stuff. Amateurs mistake, really. We see a lot of this here on ADV.

When I got home from Baja I weighed everything I had. Mounting racks,
hardware, empty GIVI bags. All up weighed about 45 lbs. This with NOTHING in the bags. I've since gone back to soft bags and knocked 35 lbs. off the total weight

The DR can handle the weight sub frame wise, but the handling suffers. If you over load I'd advise a fork brace and suspension up grades.
(I'd do the suspension in any case)

In loaded up mode now (soft bags with duffle) I'm carrying about 65 lbs. all up. Soft Bags, HT rack on one side, Camel Back (on me) clothes, front fender inner tube bag, Big rear duffle, tools, parts, misc.

With the GIVI bags I was well up over 100 lbs.

Keep in mind you'll likely be carrying a spare tire or two along. Tires can be heavy, take up space but well worth it.

Remember Fritz? Neatness Counts!