Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #151
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
FYI...

I just found that Vinegar works well as epoxy on the skin remover.

Also the working time of the MAS epoxy in 34c feels like 40c is kind of short and hot

Needless to say I ended up with a drip on my arm and it cleaned it up nicely.

Now I'll have to wait to see if there are "alterations" needed after the curing.
Ouch........ Most polymers will engage in exothermic runaway when they are mixed over 28 deg.C...... You need to be careful about this specially if you are not using a method of holding the composites in place in the mold during curing. Take a look at it..... If you don`t see any uneven thickness....bubbles formed on the surface ...you most likely got lucky. Not al polymers are even......and some are more tolerant than others..... But generally speaking you should cool the epoxy to 30 deg.C. or below prior to mixing..... Hopefully you got lucky......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #152
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 518
The finish is fine, it just didn't fully laminate the last layer in a couple of spots. Just checked....

Thankfully!
Toronto to Maine and back
Toronto to Boston -The Long way
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #153
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

It is so ironic that the first real bad bash is on the street.......... Hopping of a big curb...... about a foot tall... I did not manual out far enough.....and the front of the plate smacked right in the apex of the curb. I felt the bike jar a bit...and then roll over,...or should I say ...scrape over.... and thought what a %$#@&*%% idiot stunt that was..... Never the less.....after inspection the armor held up just fine..... Just my pride hurt.....

Erling
Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #154
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
nice test earling !!!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #155
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
nice test earling !!!
Ha-ha..... Yeppers.... I have tried in the dirt plenty of times.... and then I get the Darwin award on the street.....

Erling
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #156
2trally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I've been fantasizing about fabricating a subframe gas tank out of CF for about a year now. I did some research and came out with the impression I would need to build my own autoclave. As that is way beyond my means at the moment I put that idea off but now... damn I could start tomorrow.

Thank you

Although it would be a good idea to start off with something smaller and less liable to kill me if it fails.
2trally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #157
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trally View Post
I've been fantasizing about fabricating a subframe gas tank out of CF for about a year now. I did some research and came out with the impression I would need to build my own autoclave. As that is way beyond my means at the moment I put that idea off but now... damn I could start tomorrow.

Thank you

Although it would be a good idea to start off with something smaller and less liable to kill me if it fails.
You don't need an autoclave for that....... Have a look here......

http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-D...37413126297979

Erling
Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #158
2trally
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You don't need an autoclave for that....... Have a look here......

http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-D...37413126297979
Yep, I typed in "carbon fiber production methods" when I was trying to find how to make things from carbon fibre. Of course all the responses google gave me were professional, commercial methods that dealt mostly with pre-preg and autoclaves. I also read about McLaren in the 80's and Eric Buell recently, building their own autoclaves. So I came to the premature conclusion that you had to have an autoclave.

Now that I look back its obvious I was looking in the wrong direction. I should have typed "DIY carbon fiber fabrication" or something similar.

Edit: Just for fun, I googled "DIY carbon fiber fabrication" and immediately came up with this- http://www.eastbaycomposites.com and this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufaS...ayer_embedded#!

Erling, would you mind checking the eastbay kit? It seems alright. It doesnt look like you could make that much from it but it might be a good place to start.

2trally screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 02:55 PM
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #159
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, I typed in "carbon fiber production methods" when I was trying to find how to make things from carbon fibre. Of course all the responses google gave me were professional, commercial methods that dealt mostly with pre-preg and autoclaves. I also read about McLaren in the 80's and Eric Buell recently, building their own autoclaves. So I came to the premature conclusion that you had to have an autoclave.

Now that I look back its obvious I was looking in the wrong direction. I should have typed "DIY carbon fiber fabrication" or something similar.

Edit: Just for fun, I googled "DIY carbon fiber fabrication" and immediately came up with this- http://www.eastbaycomposites.com and this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufaS...ayer_embedded#!

Erling, would you mind checking the eastbay kit? It seems alright. It doesnt look like you could make that much from it but it might be a good place to start.
Yeppers...... Autoclaves are a must with prepreg material.... well..... almost all the time, as gases captured in the matrix cannot be rolled....rubbed... or other why by other means be expelled, thus a pressure oven with vacuum hookups.... I tend to steer people clear of the " all in a box" solution, as they rarely does a good job. You are better off looking at the threads I posted. The Facebook page is a great source of knowledge, and you don;t have to be a FB user, with the exception you cannot post up. Where in AZ R U????? I will spend the next 7 days in Phoenix.... Mesa to be exact...... Back on the topic. All you need to know is in the FB page......

Erling
Old 09-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #160
2trally
Adventurer

I'm in Phoenix actually. You wouldnt happen to be bringing the GS or the DRZ would you? I would love to see them.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #161
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm in Phoenix actually. You wouldnt happen to be bringing the GS or the DRZ would you? I would love to see them.
I wish I was...... but I am taking the airplane in for an A check at Willie ( Williams Gateway as it used to be called.... Now Mesa Gateway) I will be hanging around there. I'd gladly share other epoxy garage gangsta secrets over a cup of espresso, or other fermented beverages somewhere...... if your time permits. Just pm me......

Erling
Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #162
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

A long term update......
Had to remove the plate today, to switch to 20-50 oil, and found the left bracket fell off......

Turned out the bond did not hold up, but sometimes you loose. I used HTE and the right side is OK. So it was rebonded... this time with 1618, and it bonds a little better. Another thing making your own composites..... is that you can improve as you go along, and it evolves. I am not sure if you recall, but I covered the inside with K-39 ( ballistic Kevlar), thinking that it would reflect less heat back from the engine. I can tell you that a light yellow surface is not a good choice under the engine..... I know I am not looking in there, but it sure looked like crap. So I scuffed up the whole surface, and it is getting one layer of Carbon fiber..... Gotta look good from both sides.....

Erling
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #163
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Thanks for the lesson learned!
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #164
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Thanks for the lesson learned!
Yeppers..... The HTE works phenomenally in a wet layup. I have yet to see anything stronger. On bonding two cured pieces.... The 1618 or the CLR-HP does a better job... imho. I think it has to do with the hardness. As the HTE becomes rock hard, the void between the two pieces if now filled with the HTE, and the vibrations will destroy it... Like glass... Whereas the 1618 or HP flexes a bit more, withstanding the vibrations. In a wet layup.... That does not apply. So don't get nervous....

Erling
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #165
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,032
If it matters, we always use structural epoxy to bond two cured pieces. Unless we're horribly negligent with bond line control or voids, failure is always at the part (not the bond) and almost always a delam.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote