Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,454
Ahhhhhhhh....... the Sunday morning espresso...... One more shot....and it`s casting time.......Today's forecast.... Sunny with a chance of skid plates.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,053
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
HayBailEY
Groovy

Oddometer: 32
Great post! I do have a stupid question tho. Do you put the resin on top of the styrofoam, then fiber and more resin (like a sammich) or is there another combination you use?

thanks!
HayBailEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #19
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBailEY
Great post! I do have a stupid question tho. Do you put the resin on top of the styrofoam, then fiber and more resin (like a sammich) or is there another combination you use?

thanks!
No you got it correct, and the question is not silly........You put the resin down first.....then lay one layer of fabric on top..... Use a brush....or with larger pieces....a foam roller. Repeat procedure with each layer.....

Erling
Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finished........ Pic`s coming shortly......

Erling
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,170

You make this all look incredibly easy....I'm sure its not.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

It took about one hour to lay it all up......But if you are new to this...it might take two...... A few things in prepping the operation..... I decided to just use 2 outer layers of 5.7 OZ 2x2 Carbon fiber twill......then 2 layers of 6 oz. common weave Kevlar....then 2 inner layers of 5.7 oz. Carbon fiber twill again. Each two layers of CF yiels`d 1.6mm thickness....give and take a little....so my goal was 5mm..... I think even after the 1 layer less decision...I will still be around 6mm....... More than enough. So in prep...... You start cutting a sheet of kevlar........ People that has done this before....are now gigle`ing..... first timers are now scratching their heads..... Kevlar is extremely hard to cut.....and wears your scissor down very fast...... Thus the choice of material. But....with a little patience.....and a pair of Fiskars finest scissor.....One can manage to cut a few yards before it`s edge is.....hmmm.... toast. Then after cutting the first two pieces of kevlar.......

You then use the kevlar to cut the CF.........

Reason for kevlar as a template....... Its more durable to handle as compared to CF. I encurage you to try each sheet on the mold.....to get a little experience.... massaging the cloth into shape. That is properly the hardest part. Also make sure each piece fits........ overlapping a few inches....no more. One piece of kevlar being massaged into shape.....

Then you lay all six sheets in sequential order..... right side up.....so you don`t have to mock with the.....ehhhh....which way up.... later.

Then as always..... Things might not go as planned... So the goal was to get the bottom of the case flat........ But as always.... when you laminated composites...... things ( fiber sheets) might not always lay flat. So I took a piece of particle board and waxed it....parafilm`ed it..... to lay on top to flatten the sandwich..... in case needed.......

Then out comes the gloves.....hmmmmmm.... and foam roller....... This little thing can be had at lows for around 3 bucks, and is a gift...... You mix the resin, and then pour in a little in the tray, and just pretend you are painting the kiddoes walls...... Works like magic. I mixed a total of 500 grams of high temp epoxy... ( 400g resin+ 100g hardner). That was a little more that I thought needed, but you don`t want to undermix, so you have to rush and mix some more. Turned out that I used about 450 g..... A little more ....again ....that I was hoping..... So it will be interesting to weigh it after all settles. I would sure like to keep it under 1000g. I was shooting for no more than 750g...... But there is about 2 inches of overlay on the edge...... So we shall see. Then this it how it goes.... Roll on the resin..... then one layer of fiber......carefull......

Note how the CF is massaged into the groves......
Then repeat the procedure....roll more resin on top of the first layer of CF....Try to roll from the edge towards the center so you dont pull the fabric out of the grooves. Then after two layers of CF......saturate the cardboard....put it in the groves..... Then lay up the two layers of kevlar...... First....note the grooves.....Almost level....

Second layer of Kevlar.....

Then the last two layers of CF...........

It took all about one hour..... But this is not my first time..... So I would say ....pan on two. It is also easier to have an assistant to help hold the cloth while you massage it down...... It all went very well. It is a little hard to control 6 layers of composites........... But we shall see after the initial 2 hrs in the garage..... then I will move it out door....... Now off to the espresso machine.......Until then....

Erling
Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge

You make this all look incredibly easy....I'm sure its not.
.......Sort of..... But not to be intimidated..... You can make composites as complicated as you wish...... But the stuff I try to promote......is really simple..... You have to have patience...... and not born with 5 thumbs..... But other than that...... I use common tools..... In my own garage..... Most people will not realize this after watching a seminar.....like hands on.... then the light turns on......

Erling
Old 08-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
anxiously waiting final product

Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
You and me both......

Erling
Old 08-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #26
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Moved it to the outside, where it will rise from 93deg. F. to 200deg. F. in the sun....

Erling
Old 08-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #27
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

cured.......

Sat in the hot sun....... Temps varied around 200 deg. F. for 5 hours.......
It is now strong enough to stay rigid......and will get stronger as the radiant heat from the engine heats it up. I used a heat lamp to tempoary elevate the surface temp to 250 deg. F......just to be sure..... I`l break it open in the morning.....

Erling
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #28
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #29
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,786

.....is it wrong of one to have thoughts of their wife's vacuum sealer when looking at your handi work......

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 AM   #30
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965

.....is it wrong of one to have thoughts of their wife's vacuum sealer when looking at your handi work......

Just make sure she knows what you are about to do with it....... and you need a bigger bag....... vacuum bagging is not needed here......but if you`d like........ I`m fraid you need something more powerful.....

Erling