Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #31
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Laugh Lighter and thinner......Hmmmmmmm....

Some of the funniest.....part is clawing through the foam mold. You spend all this time making it..... Now you gotta rip it. Sort of like building sand castle as a kid...... Anyway took just a few minutes.... Wish I could build`em that easy....

Then I use a band saw with 18 tpi blade to cut the exterior. Every time I cut Kevlar....... It amazed me how tough this stuff is........ With the trimmings....

I was hoping for 500-750 grams with one more layer...... Now you can see how lightweight the fabric is...... I used about 450 grams of resin......then cut the edges off....perhaps 370-400 grams are in the actual piece....... And.......the total weight is.......646 grams...... So around 250 grams in those 6 layers of composites........

Thickness was better than I estimated......It averages at just a little over 3mm......

And...... Just for the heck of it....

Next is the fitting...... And bolt countersinking.......Until then......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #32
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here it is ....after a little sanding........

On the bike......Looks like the fit is good....

Then as always..... You improvise as you go along....And after sanding the inside..... I though... I have a little leftover kevlar...... Perhaps If I give it one more layer on the inside..... The lighter color would yield more reflection of heat from the engine.....rather than absorb it. At least that`s how it works in the sun.......... It will also have a little better finish......although ....nobody are going to see the inside when it is mounted.........So on went another 125 g of resin.........and Kevlar.....

Back out in the sun...... But I really like the way it looks on the bike.....

Erling
Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #33
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Again, thank you!

It looks like wear and tear may fray the edge. What options are available to wrap or otherwise protect the edges? Could you wrap a thin strip of CF over the edge (all the way around)? Would it ruin the look? Or do you think it would be unnecessary anyway?
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #34
Varitech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Laugh

Chevereeeeeeeeeeeeee !

SUZUKI - DL650 K7 - Black Lion.
CAGIVA - CANYON 600 - Blue. (En venta $20,000.00 MX)
HONDA - CB650 - Black.
CARABELA - 125 - Black.
Varitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #35
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
Again, thank you!

It looks like wear and tear may fray the edge. What options are available to wrap or otherwise protect the edges? Could you wrap a thin strip of CF over the edge (all the way around)? Would it ruin the look? Or do you think it would be unnecessary anyway?
Not necessary at all..... This stuff is so strong it`s funny...... You will only realize this after trying to cut it....file it.....or perhaps bite it......... Another great reason for using the high temp epoxy....... It is stronger....stiffer than the low temp type. I had to trim a little piece off..... thought I`d just use a hacksaw....... Ha......right.... Back to the band saw I went......

Erling
Old 08-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #36
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitech
Chevereeeeeeeeeeeeee !

El Gusto es mio........

Erling
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

I thought I`d show you how thermal runaway looks like....... When you mix resin....Polyester or epoxy.... It creates exothermic heat from the chemical reaction..... If you mix it in too hot conditions.....or the resin pools...... Curing too hot..... etc..... You have tremendous heat that will damage your mold. All I did, was after mixing the resin....The leftover was left in the sun....and after 15 minutes.....this is how it looked......It reached 295 deg. F.....

Anyway..... After the the last layer of kevlar.......the weight rose to 769 grams...... Just in line with the expectations....

It grew a little in with....but not much........

So tomorrow..... It`s time to make the mounts.....and that`s that.......

Until then.....
Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #38
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
You are very talented. GREAT work. This is looking amazing.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #39
TastyPants
Harasshole

Oddometer: 224
I echo the praise for sure. A couple questions though. I don't have a Bandsaw or a heat lamp...and temps are not quite that hot around here in SF. Is this still doable or am I just asking for trouble? Something that could be done with a heat gun and some beer? The bandsaw seems like a necessity...

I do have some foam though...haha. Also what are you generally using for shaping your model? I have an exacto/utility knife and sand paper, but I was wondering if you were using anything else.
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #40
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Lovely Job !

What does the original plastic crappy useless bash plate weigh?
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #41
hinchlual
Hinchy

Oddometer: 1
Remus conundrum

Does anyone know of an aftermarket bash plate that will fit over Remus header pipes? I've tried Touratech, Wunderlich, 3DX and the BMW plate, but none of them fit because the Remus header pipes are substantially wider than the stock items or any of the other aftermarket pipes such as Akropovics. If not, then it looks like the only other option is to make my own like this one.
hinchlual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #42
rumblefish
xxx

Oddometer: 66
I was a bit skeptical of this thread when you started, thinking, "what's the point?". But you have won me over. I may not be so into the whole carbon fibre look, but you are very talented and the possibilities of this material are very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a workshop or the tools that you have to try this (and finding the same source materials here in spain is probably tricky), but I really appreciate the time and patience you have put into explaining the process. It's fascinating. Thank you!

Incidentally, the grooves in the bashplate, are they to help the plate fit around the pipes?
rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #43
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyPants
I echo the praise for sure. A couple questions though. I don't have a Bandsaw or a heat lamp...and temps are not quite that hot around here in SF. Is this still doable or am I just asking for trouble? Something that could be done with a heat gun and some beer? The bandsaw seems like a necessity...

I do have some foam though...haha. Also what are you generally using for shaping your model? I have an exacto/utility knife and sand paper, but I was wondering if you were using anything else.
When post curing in the sun I was able to see temps of the composites of 200 deg.F. By leaving it in there for 6 hrs.....instead of the " required 2 @300 deg.F.) I would say that that`s enough to achieve enough strength, and then if it heats up more ( i dont know if it does while mounted)...then it will just get stronger. That was done with an outside temp in the mid to high 90`s. If that scenario is not an option........then next is a heat lamp...... It can be had for about $30 at the hardware store...( go with the red light bulb.... The white is cheaper, but has more hot spots. If that is not an option..... Then I would steer away from the high temp epoxy, and use a regular type, like the max-clr. That type requires no post cure heat elevation, and if you sculpt`s the mold to stay about 1 inch away from the cat, and header you should be ok. As far as cutting with the band saw......Or should I say without one.... The saw blade on a little metal hacksaw is essential the same as the one on the band saw..... But with the hack saw....you do all the work..... whereas on the band saw... you don`t. It`s not that the little one won`t cut it..... You just need a lot of beer....
As far as shaping the mold.... You are on the right path..... Excacto knife.... regular knife..... hack saw.... sand paper...... etc... What ever you got....

Erling
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #44
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
Lovely Job !

What does the original plastic crappy useless bash plate weigh?
520 grams..... Plastic is heavy.....Would be interesting to see what a full size 5mm aluminum bash plate weighs.....

Erling
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #45
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish
I was a bit skeptical of this thread when you started, thinking, "what's the point?". But you have won me over. I may not be so into the whole carbon fibre look, but you are very talented and the possibilities of this material are very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a workshop or the tools that you have to try this (and finding the same source materials here in spain is probably tricky), but I really appreciate the time and patience you have put into explaining the process. It's fascinating. Thank you!

Incidentally, the grooves in the bashplate, are they to help the plate fit around the pipes?
Thanks..........When this is done... I will actually buff the finish to a dull.....more industrial look instead of the high gloss finish. I think it suits the 8gs better......and scratches will not stand out as much. The 3 groves houses the honey comb strips ( cardboard...)... They added tremendous stiffness length wise, so if you run up on a rock while in motion..... the energy released in the collision between skid plate and rock will be temporary stored and then released....And in theory bike will bounce off the rock....... When in theory... An aluminum bash plate.....will stay in its new " bend" state..... this one...after absorbing the impact will bounce back.

Erling