ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #46
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh excellent work...a true work of art!

could you make a mold out of the one you made... And make them for us for a good price??? great work!!!
__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #47
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
could you make a mold out of the one you made...
Yes....

And make them for us for a good price???
It would be more expensive than most other bash guards.

great work!!!


Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #48
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer
 
LewisNClark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: North GA and Atlanta
Oddometer: 968
Great Project

Do you have any concerns with lack of ventilation (air holes) in the bash plate? (potentially overheating the engine, exh header pipes)

Is material too hard to cut/drill/etc holes in it now to disburse air through the bottom of the bash plate, or do you think it might be needed?

Also, do you think venting holes might weaken the bash plate?

Is taking the plastic oem bash plate and adding/gluing styofoam to the sides and ends worth even considering for making the mold (at least you'd have the mounting holes in the right place?


Thx

(I see why you suggested a bash place as a last project due to skill level needed !)
__________________
The Trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=Lewis+Clark
Link to 4,000+ pictures of Lewis & Clark Trail:http://lewisandclark.smugmug.com/

LewisNClark screwed with this post 08-03-2010 at 12:23 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #49
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah
 
bradatlarge's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 12,184


This is fantastic, I'll likely never try to fab something out of CF but, I'm fascinated by the fact that you can do this, with what seems to be, ease.
__________________
You have been warned.
bradatlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #50
TowPro
Getting there
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,804
Where do you buy the Kevlar and CF? Is it in a 36" bolt like standard materiel?

I am also in an area where I can't bake stuff in the sun, but we have an old electric kitchen oven we use for Powder coating, I could use that.
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #51
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
Do you have any concerns with lack of ventilation (air holes) in the bash plate? (potentially overheating the engine, exh header pipes)

Is material too hard to cut/drill/etc holes in it now to disburse air through the bottom of the bash plate, or do you think it might be needed?

Also, do you think venting holes might weaken the bash plate?

Is taking the plastic oem bash plate and adding/gluing styofoam to the sides and ends worth even considering for making the mold (at least you'd have the mounting holes in the right place?


Thx

(I see why you suggested a bash place as a last project due to skill level needed !)
...... It really is not that bad.......I think the biggest enemy here....aside from the post cure....is having patience....lot`s of it. During the time I made the foam mold....I could have made two set`s of airbox covers...... It was not difficult.....But at one panel at a time......takes just that....time. Other than that....no other skill level is needed. If you use the stock plate....you will have some issues with the fabric conforming over the grooves....etc. I think you would be better off by starting from scratch. I will drill some cooling holes, and drain holes. You will loose some integrity.....but not anything to be concerned about. As far as the mount holes.....You just hold up the bash plate where you want it.... then tap underneath with a rubber mallet to make a tiny mark...then drill it. Not hard at all.


Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #52
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge


This is fantastic, I'll likely never try to fab something out of CF but, I'm fascinated by the fact that you can do this, with what seems to be, ease.


Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #53
TireIron
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 8
Thumb

Totally Awesome
TireIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #54
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
Where do you buy the Kevlar and CF? Is it in a 36" bolt like standard materiel?

I am also in an area where I can't bake stuff in the sun, but we have an old electric kitchen oven we use for Powder coating, I could use that.
I get it from here......50 or 60 inch with.....your choice.....
http://uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html

It really depends where it available....at a good price. I get the epoxy from here........ They have CF available at a good price as well.....
http://stores.ebay.com/Polymer-Products?_rdc=1

Oven is even better...... Id cook it for 6 hrs at 200 deg. F.no more since the foam will deteriorate above 275..... remember there will be hot spots in any oven.....and last thing you wanna see is your mold start to melt. That way it has enough strength. If you feel lucky.....fire it to 250 for 2 hrs....and your golden......


Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #55
Hedge36
Chasing parts.
 
Hedge36's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Anacortes, WA
Oddometer: 44,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
...fire it to 250 for 2 hrs....and your golden...
So to speak
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #56
TowPro
Getting there
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,804
this sounds like a project I might try this winter. I enjoy this kind of stuff, and it's really no different then working with fiberglass and cloth doing car or boat repairs. In fact it's easier because your working over a ridged mold instead over a hole in a fender.

It looks like a around $100.00 to get started for my first cloth and epoxy purchase, unless I layered Kevlar then I have another materiel purchase.

Why did you use layers of the two materials?
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #57
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
this sounds like a project I might try this winter. I enjoy this kind of stuff, and it's really no different then working with fiberglass and cloth doing car or boat repairs. In fact it's easier because your working over a ridged mold instead over a hole in a fender.

It looks like a around $100.00 to get started for my first cloth and epoxy purchase, unless I layered Kevlar then I have another materiel purchase.

Why did you use layers of the two materials?
That is a question I get a lot...........The two materials offer their own distinct property`s. The Kevlar has great abrasive and impact resistance. The latter one being offered but with displacement in the direction of the impact. Carbon Fiber offer very little abrasive resistance........But has enormous torsional stiffness. That will help to minimize the displacement of the Kevlar. So In short.....the combination in sandwiching the two materials makes for a greater combination than either material could offer alone.


Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #58
TastyPants
Harasshole
 
TastyPants's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
It would be more expensive than most other bash guards.
So how much do you think you actually spent on materials?
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #59
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyPants
So how much do you think you actually spent on materials?
I would imagine that the fabric`s ran around $ 100..... Resin......$ 25......
Brush....roller.....gloves.....$ 5.....say about $ 130.... Remember...there are 7 layers in that piece.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #60
space
a.k.a. Jake
 
space's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, CA
Oddometer: 2,590
Great stuff, Erling!

So how strong do you think the final product will be? If you high center the bike, will the bash plate be able to hold its weight without the epoxy cracking? Should it be able to take rock hits OK?
space is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014