Oddometer: 182
BMBEN’s Adventure Rides 1/8/2010 Grenfell loop

BMBEN’s Adventure Ride
By: Franz G (BMBEN) 0427 830 712

Sunday 1st August 2010

Destination:

Canowindra, Cowra, Grenfell and Forbes

Well that was the plan.

I had been watching the weather reports throughout the week, which said Thursday, Friday, and Saturday rain with a top temp of 10°C. It did rain, on and off and on Friday night there was 50mm dumped, so that put an end to Saturdays ride as it as still raining and foggy.

Sunday morning. What a surprise. Clear blue sky as far as you can see. The walk to get the newspaper was cold as the temp is still 10°C with a freezing cold wind coming from the west.

It’s 10.00am and I have decided to go. Made some lunch, packed up and I am ready to go at 10.30am. Put the key in, turned it on, pressed the button and nothing happened. Dam should have put the trickle charger on. I get undressed, unlock the house, unlock the car and get a jump start. It’s now 11.00am and I am finally on my way. Out along Casuarina Drive and around the back roads to Canowindra. Buy the time I have arrived at Canowindra there were clouds on the horizon but they did not look much. I then took the Canowindra Road to Cowra and then the Mid Western Highway to Grenfell where I filled with fuel and put on my wet weather gear as it had started to rain 5km back along the road.

I had planned to have some lunch there but seeing how is raining I decided to keep going. I got about 2km out of town and the rain is dumping down now, so I turned around and went back to find a sheltered spot in Grenfell where I ended up having some lunch while waiting for the storm to pass over. It’s still blowing a gale and cold. While I waited I look at the map and decide not to go out to Forbes but make a direct line for home

Sheltered under the awning of the closed Shell Service Station, look back in the direction of Cowra while the wind and rain howl around the place.

I turned left and followed the sign to Forbes. About 10km along the Mid Western Highway I realised that this is the wrong way, so I turned around again and back to Grenfell where I turned left and took the Gooloogong Road. I turned off and took the New Forbes/Grenfell Rd for 20km then turned right on to a road, which lead me back to the Lachlan Valley Way at Bandon then the road back home.

It rained on and off with a huge amount of wind all the way home. I arrived back at 3.10pm and travelled 216km

Regards Franz

The good thing is, I am sitting in the warmth at home now writhing this and there is gale forced winds and driving rain outside. It’s now 5.00pm, the sun is out and not a cloud to be seen in the western sky.

Interesting things beside the road. They used this as the name board for the property.

Map Links
Started with this
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Forbes,+New+South+Wales&daddr=Eugowra,+New+South+Wales+to:Eugowra+Gooloogo ng+Rd+to:Nangar+Rd+to:Canowindra,+New+South+Wales+ to:Cowra,+New+South+Wales+to:Grenfell,+New+South+W ales+to:Forbes,+New+South+Wales&geocode=FYGUAv4d4WvSCClHkgIr_IwaazH5rQD3QkBDPg%3BF V3xAf4dwvjXCCmxT7AOrJ0aazFCGwLxD220cQ%3BFYBV__0dYO bYCA%3BFdQoAP4dZvDaCA%3BFZHh__0dTnLcCCnFXCNnKWQQaz H0mSN6oJ83Lw%3BFUi5-_0d-NjcCCn1Q890_ZEQazF7IFTLynpRvg%3BFbfN-v0dgsLUCCkB_Pwphg0aazG_PAH0B5KFTA%3BFYGUAv4d4WvSCC lHkgIr_IwaazH5rQD3QkBDPg&hl=en&mra=ls&via=2,3&sll=-33.988918,148.716431&sspn=2.350101,4.938354&ie=UTF8&z=10
and ended doing this
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Eugowra,+New+South+Wales&daddr=Eugowra+Gooloogong+Rd+to:Nangar+Rd+to:Canowi ndra,+New+South+Wales+to:Cowra,+New+South+Wales+to :Grenfell,+New+South+Wales+to:New+Grenfell+Rd+to:e ugowra&geocode=FV3xAf4dwvjXCCmxT7AOrJ0aazFCGwLxD220cQ%3BF YBV__0dYObYCA%3BFdQoAP4dZvDaCA%3BFZHh__0dTnLcCCnFX CNnKWQQazH0mSN6oJ83Lw%3BFUi5-_0d-NjcCCn1Q890_ZEQazF7IFTLynpRvg%3BFbfN-v0dgsLUCCkB_Pwphg0aazG_PAH0B5KFTA%3BFe1E__0dNyXVCA %3BFV3xAf4dwvjXCCmxT7AOrJ0aazFCGwLxD220cQ&hl=en&mra=ls&via=1,2,6&sll=-33.622053,148.239212&sspn=0.147518,0.308647&ie=UTF8&z=10
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,376