ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #61
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 474
Rmar

I wanted to thank everyone we met this weekend for a great time and good riding. This is the second time this summer Cathy and I have been up to Colorado and we look forward to the next time. At the last minute I noticed a cabin cancellation and was lucky enough to reserve it. I just left all the camping gear on the garage floor and drove out of town. I had to work Wednesday and Cathy was antsy to ride so she left Wednesday morning through Springerville, AZ and Grants, NM. She got a couple hundred miles of dirt roads. I left after work around 4 and beat cheeks to Flagstaff. The next day was through the Four Corners area

And then on to Durango. I got there 5 minutes after Cathy on Thursday at noon. We got married in Durango last February at the courthouse while on a ski trip.

Heading into Southfork Cathy had to get some rain gear out. Image that.

We met Doug the next morning and he offered to take us over Cinnamon and Engineer's Passes.

Andrew joined us for the ride

And Cliff on the right rode a Ninja over the two passes. If I hadn't been there, I don't know if I would believe it. Now known as the Ninja Warrior.

We met a friend Ron from New Mexico at the pass. Amazing where you run into people you know.

Great views

Cathy and Doug have pictures of Engineer Pass. We got just about to the top and stopped for pictures when I got a bad case of vertigo. Not a great place to loose you balance. Thanks Doug for helping me get my bike to the summit.

Once we dropped some elevation my right ear cleared and I felt better, but still a little queasy the rest of the day.

Rain gear on, rain gear off.

The 1200 ran flawless

The old mining buildings scattered around the country side were interesting to see

The next day we decided on an easy ride with Scott to offset the previous day. Nice and sunny, just relax.

Here's Sue we met a Chickfest the month before. She always has a smile on her face. Must be a happy camper.

Then the clouds rolled in

Cathy getting ready for the rain gear

It rained so hard I didn't even get my camera back out. Once back at camp we had a couple of cold ones.

I don't know this Adventure Rider's name but want to thank him for heiping my with the GS when it decided it needed a nap.

Gene rode a good part of Saturday with us on the easy ride.

Not much too it, even with street tires huh Gene?

Sunday we got to say goodbye to all our new friends.

Since we were still in the mountains we decided to ride out on more dirt roads so we caught Park Creek Rd. just south of camp to Platoro and on to Hwy 17.

Guess what Cathy's doing? She wouldn't be putting on rain gear would she?

We headed over to 64.

And then found 100 miles of dirt, or should I say sand to Grants, NM

You have to pick your photo shots when you ride with Cathy. She doesn't like to ride slow for some reason. Back on the pavement.

Just before Grants we had nothing better to do so we decided to stop and put our rain gear on.

Monday was our last leg and back to Tucson.
Cathy as always has a smile.

Look clear skis.

A little road construction

New Mexico Rt 191 south of Reserve to Glenwood is a good, big sweepers ride.

The cafe is Glenwood has great food but must be closed on Mondays.

We ended up going over Mule Creek Pass and into Safford then on to Tucson. It sprinkled a few times but we refused to get our rain gear out.

Thanks for the fun everyone and I'd also like to thank our great hosts at the Lonesome Dove. Until next year ride safe and have fun.

Skip
rpage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #62
Becktastic
Bonzai Becky

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage11
I wanted to thank everyone we met this weekend for a great time and good riding...
Looks like you guys had fun! Colorado was great (but yeah it rained like every day).

Awesome you met up with Sue again too!
Becktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #63
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
My photo contribution

Day one. Left AZ and the heat, got into NM and found this..........

........and this

Notice the pot O gold must be in my vario bag...........Oh wait, it took a pot O gold to buy the vario bag and the yellow and black accessories surrounding it.

I'm smiling behind my shield because... ?
1 I'm meeting my husband in Durango for lunch
2 We'll be in COLO for a fun filled weekend of riding
3 I don't yet know about Scott's Sat "easy" big bike ride
4 All of the above

I rattled this lens loose on one of my dirt road excursions along the way north. Luckily it stayed on until I got to camp in South Fork.

We left AZ about 8hrs apart and still managed to meet in Durango the next day within 5 minutes. I got dirty, he got slabbed. Hello Honey, Lunch?

Then............
.....and now

We are only 11 miles from Goodnight's Lonesome Dove campground and the rain begins. (an omen of the wx ahead).

Sure enough 11 miles later we're here...and it's raining. We got lucky, Skip called a few days ago and someone had just cancelled their cabin so we got it. High and dry at least each night as we slept.
And look, I'm already inside. Yes Honey I did say I was from Seattle, but not any more. I was melting up there in that rain and had to move to a dry heat!

The next morning though it was purdy sunny. A good time to fix my tail lens before it breaks.

Fridays little band of riders.
Doug, the leader on a GS12 from Steamboat. Skip and Andrew (from GA) also on GS12's, me on the baby GS (Little F8 I call her) and Cliff who rode out from Ft Worth on this brand new dual sport bike. It's called a Kawasaki 650 Twin. Some call it "Ninja".
We took a nice easy ride up through Cinnamon Pass then up to Engineer Pass. Good thing the rain held off until we were heading down.

Up we climb now into the clouds, towards Engineer Pass.

The top of Engineer Pass

Heading off Engineer, before the rains come.

Raingear stop

Prayer stop, or fix a flat stop as the case may be

Tubeless tire, not any more

The campfire

The next days ride, sunny and dry...so far. A little group of 34 riders is all.

The first climb

Outrigger pics

This little hill climb behind us seemed like the worse of the day was over, but the next few hundred yards ahead on the flats, was as slimy as Sammy the Salamander. Carnage everywhere.

I didn't get any pics 'cause my gloves were full of mud and water. I thought better of turning my camera into the same muddy mess.

Finally in the clear. What a view.

We found these two at the bottom of the dirt road. Gene on the Triumph. I forgot your name there KLR guy.

Gene had had some trouble keeping his shifter lever pointing in the proper direction all day. I think this is the third time we had helped get it to work.

The plan originally had been to all meet in Creede for lunch. I was saoked to the bone since I waited too long to put on my raingear...........we changed the plan and met here instead.

Next stop, the cabin

My little F8 was thirsty, drink up girl, you earned it.

Sunday Skip and I head back south after some great riding and meeting so many great folks. We found a nice gravel road just south of the campsight and enjoyed a bit more of COLO before hitting flat slab.

Look Honey, someone must have throw a dirt clod on your handlebar. Funny practical jokers these Mountain men.

Leaving the dirt roads adn the mountains behind.

So long Colorado and all the nice peeps we met. See you 'round.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #64
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
A couple more pics on the ride home

Just a couple more pics of some of the wx we dodged. These clouds got my attention. They were full of lightening. I don't like lightening.

I'm glad it wasn't raining when we hit this road.

Pretty blue sky with some cute puffy clouds

They're getting thicker, and darker

A bit of lightening in these beasts

They're boiling right before our eyes.

Ok, now this one really got my attention. Mama! Can you say "we're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy"

We stopped for the night just up ahead. I didn't want anymore to do with that weather. The wind was hitting us from a different direction as we rode. No thanks.

The rest of the trip was sunny skies and smooth blacktop. The End.
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #65
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey
Saturday's Tewksberry Trail Ride

Taking the 1200GS Adventure down the last of the nasty hills on the Tewksberry Trail

Click here to access HD version
Good thing you were going down that! Them tahrs aren't quite knobbie enough to getcha up it!

I gotta ride with you mang. Us hippo riders gotta stick together. (ie: I help you pick yours up if you help me pick mine up! )

M
Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #66
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Good thing you were going down that! Them tahrs aren't quite knobbie enough to getcha up it!

I gotta ride with you mang. Us hippo riders gotta stick together. (ie: I help you pick yours up if you help me pick mine up! )

M
Joo got dat right mang! Even with TKC80s, I never would have gotten over the whole trail the other direction...would have turned around. However, I would have made it past that first steep section, but there was one nasty bouldered section after the plateau that would have made me abandon.

I'll ride with any pig who's dumb enough to ride with me

Sadly, my Summer hall passess are running thin and I've got some biz travel getting in the way as well. I've got a few weekend rides in the No. NM area and I'll be at the beemer rally at Sipapu the 2nd weekend of September. I'll probably try to lead a GS day ride during the Sipapu rally. Besides that, all the rest of my rides will probably be local this season.

Any time a GS'er wants to come play down NM way...knock on my door!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #67
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Larry, Moe, Curly and Shemp Ride The Flats

This is some more video from the 1200 GS Adv Beak Cam along a relatively flat section of the Tewksberry ATV Trail. Most of the footage is following behind Grub.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #68
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,142
I never realized my riding style is so similar to Travis Pastrana
Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #69
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub
I never realized my riding style is so similar to Travis Pastrana
My mistake.

CORRECTION: The previously posted video is mostly footage of following behind Travis Pastrana...or was it Jonah Street?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #70
WildTurkey
Beast Master

More 1200 GS Adv Beak Cam action from the Tewksberry Trail with Bridgestone Battlewing tires.
This video has about 3/4 footage on the muddy flats and then it dives down pretty severely through some embedded boulder sections. The video doesn't quite represent the slope all that well. There were a few times when it wasn't much more than a controlled rear wheel slide with engine braking...but Griselda held up like the stout German alewife that she is!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #71
HateRyder
Schtool

Oddometer: 157
This would be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH
What's this inmates handle?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #72
mtmotoman
live 2 ride

Oddometer: 2
Laugh Run what ya brung

No pics, Forgot the camera tryin to get out of Gunnison in the rain friday night.Great bunch. I loved everyones run what ya brung aditude. From Clif aka
Ninja Warior toThe ST with the trailer. You got that right Catfish! Any of you find yourself ridin thruogh Gunny and need a shower or a place to wrench. Look me up I dont check this stuf offten but I do my email find me. Rubber side down!!! Thumbs up to you Big John
mtmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #73
KSH
LurKer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by HateRyder
This would be me.
Thanks for posting up, I'm horrible at remembering names

2012 Super T #27
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #74
KSH
LurKer

Oddometer: 143
Another View of Saturday's Ride

[IMG][/IMG]

2012 Super T #27
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #75
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Unfortunately, the humidity had gotten into the waterproof camera case (also keeps water in) and condensation had developed. Almost all of the really technical stuff was completely fogged. I'll post it up anyway for the masochists out there.

Here's a 9 minute clip. Imagine mostly damp condiditions with tons of embedded boulders and on very steep rocky section where I actually had to kill the motor to use some engine breaking since my GS doesn't have the enduro transmission with a smaller first gear.