Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,797
Seeing a race live is pretty damn cool. It's a spectacle, like Vegas or a titty bar. Loud noises, flying metal, beer. What's not to like?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #17
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog
Please explain garage pass.

Hot pit pass. You can wander around where the crews are and watch them work on cars and do the pit stops.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #18
heffe
#$%^&U*&^%$#@

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
I heard NASCAR described in another thread as "about as interesting as watching a bag of Skittles being dumped into a flushing toilet."

As a fan of SCORE racing, and a proud member of the ADV/Desert Assassins Pit Bitch crew, I've always maintained that NASCRAP would be a lot better if theY suddenly released a herd of cows onto the track, or dumped an old refrigerator on the track behind a blind corner.

Oh wait, there are no blind corners. Never mind!

heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #19
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,987
Short track live is where it's at for me. Front row finish line seats on a Saturday night under the lights. The aroma of the burnt race fuel teases the nostrils, the thunder of the pack rumbles in your gut, the waft of air of 30 cars roaring by in tight formation at 120 MPH slaps you in the face, the sounds of crunching grinding metal accomapnied by showers of sparks, sexy southern girls walking by in their Daisy Dukes. It awakens all the senses.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Something to stare at while you listen to music and have a few beers on Sunday afternoon after the yardwork is done or the ride is over . More interesting than golf and baseball
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #21
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
I raced short track for 8 years (1/4 mile oval), it is way harder than you think. While it looks easy from the stands, once you are belted into the car it is a different world. I learned more on how to make a car handle, how to fix them quickly, how alignment affects driving in my first season than I did all my 35 years before then (drag, road rally, autocross).

From my experience, road racers are more gentlemanly (word?) about racing...run your line and wait until someone makes a mistake, then you take the advantage and pass them. Oval track is more brutal, you take what you get and try to make that car dance in a line it doesn't want to dance.

I had many people come up to me after a race "hey, why don't you stay lower, pass them higher, etc", my response was always polite but usually ended with "why don't you purchase a car and give it a whirl?".

Since I am rambling I will share my first race experience. At Stateline Speedway they line you up for the heats/mains slowest in front, fastest in back. Of course being my first time I was on the outside pole (woo hoo, not the slowest). The flag drops and I jumped on it. I held my own into the first corner and thought, I am so close to the pole sitter, no one is coming through...WRONG! You would have though it was a freeway and I was standing in the slow lane...I was freightrained by nearly the whole field before the end of the second straight. I learned what close was that night and not too long later, I was part of the train! It took a few years but I also learned to lead the train my share of times.

Passing a rookie was usually pretty easy if they held a decent line, a little tougher if they used the whole track (after a few laps of that you give them a little boost to the high side of the turn). Now passing an experienced racer could take multiple laps, inches at a time, a trying example of patience, and usually done on a line that isn't optimum. The blue/yellow flag does not mean "let them pass" it means "hold your line", you still need to have some skill to pass someone.

You also learn how to be knocked around and knock people around without getting rattled. Done right it is almost invisible from the stands. There are times too when it is time to teach someone a lesson even if it means you will be repairing damage to your own car that week (the infamous drive thru move). I was never on the end of a tough lesson from another racer, but I gave a few.

Man I could go on forever...I loved that sport! Family and money finally overpowered the fun factor and I sold the car and extras. A sad day indeed...I still have pictures from that day .

Kenny
mudgepondexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
Jungle Jim
buckle up buttercup

Oddometer: 9,720
call this guy - maybe he can explain it

Here

Jungle Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #23
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress
I raced short track for 8 years (1/4 mile oval), it is way harder than you think. While it looks easy from the stands, once you are belted into the car it is a different world. I learned more on how to make a car handle, how to fix them quickly, how alignment affects driving in my first season than I did all my 35 years before then (drag, road rally, autocross).
That above paragraph...Being part of it. I think that is what makes NASCAR fun. Sitting in the stands of a mile or larger track leaves me feeling completely detached from the race and I do not consider that a good time.

I had the good fortune to spend a day in the hot pits at Phoenix last year and had the time of my life. Unfortunately, that is not something all the fans get to do. Getting to watch the car being worked on, getting right up to the cars and drivers, getting yelled at by a crew chief for taking pictures of the contents in the rear of the car.... , it was excellent. You really get to see what goes in to making a race team work, and even in NASCAR, it's tons of work and energy. Also, the cars are badass. When you are up close and one goes by you in the pits and they blip the throttle, you really feel it.

Yup, good times.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 10,474
I think of NASCAR like I think of baseball. It's fun if, by the time I'm in the bleachers, I'm already completely shitfaced.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #25
Holden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Great post! I would love to try short track racing some day.

(I did road racing for 15 years and believe short track/dirt/oval is just as challenging if not more.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress

From my experience, road racers are more gentlemanly (word?) about racing...run your line and wait until someone makes a mistake, then you take the advantage and pass them. Oval track is more brutal, you take what you get and try to make that car dance in a line it doesn't want to dance.

I had many people come up to me after a race "hey, why don't you stay lower, pass them higher, etc", my response was always polite but usually ended with "why don't you purchase a car and give it a whirl?".

Since I am rambling I will share my first race experience. At Stateline Speedway they line you up for the heats/mains slowest in front, fastest in back. Of course being my first time I was on the outside pole (woo hoo, not the slowest). The flag drops and I jumped on it. I held my own into the first corner and thought, I am so close to the pole sitter, no one is coming through...WRONG! You would have though it was a freeway and I was standing in the slow lane...I was freightrained by nearly the whole field before the end of the second straight. I learned what close was that night and not too long later, I was part of the train! It took a few years but I also learned to lead the train my share of times.

Passing a rookie was usually pretty easy if they held a decent line, a little tougher if they used the whole track (after a few laps of that you give them a little boost to the high side of the turn). Now passing an experienced racer could take multiple laps, inches at a time, a trying example of patience, and usually done on a line that isn't optimum. The blue/yellow flag does not mean "let them pass" it means "hold your line", you still need to have some skill to pass someone.

You also learn how to be knocked around and knock people around without getting rattled. Done right it is almost invisible from the stands. There are times too when it is time to teach someone a lesson even if it means you will be repairing damage to your own car that week (the infamous drive thru move). I was never on the end of a tough lesson from another racer, but I gave a few.

Man I could go on forever...I loved that sport! Family and money finally overpowered the fun factor and I sold the car and extras. A sad day indeed...I still have pictures from that day .

Kenny
"Now I listen to my sweetheart and I listen to my thirst. I don't spend time listening to other peoples words. Sometimes they're right most times the reverse. They say the best is for the best when the best's for the worse" - Josh Ritter
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #26
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 20,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog
Please explain garage pass.
That's what happens to the driver's girlfriend while he's on the track.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #27
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
There really isn't an answer to the OP's question that has any shred of plausibility to it.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #28
dan-c
Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhasken
There really isn't an answer to the OP's question that has any shred of plausibility to it.

True but we do so like to go on...And on...And on...ad infinitum
Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
I have seen a great documentary about NASCAR. It's called "Days of Thunder" you should check it out.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #30
dan-c
Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhasken
I have seen a great documentary about NASCAR. It's called "Days of Thunder" you should check it out.
Is it as accurate as Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: