Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Road king before 2009 and after

Hi,

I have testdriven a couple of road king during the Harley tours in Sweden. The first time I drove what is in 2006 I believe. That one had a soft Suspension and poor Brakes which is not all that bad. Soft Suspension works probably better on bad roads but the downside is the handeling of the bike. The last time I drove a road king was in 2009 with updated frame. It was noticeable better brakes and handeling. But I also felt that I was more or less riding a japanese bike. I felt that Harley lost some of it's Soul with the update. The old one with the softer suspensioner gave Harley a character that other bikes did not have.

Do you agree or disagree that Harley lost Little bit of it's soul with the updated frame? I personally like the older frame and only five gears.

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I'm not sure about losing it's soul however, I nearly lost a couple of fillings when pulling up to a red light. Damn that thing shook and rattled like a paint mixer. Big heavy pig around town, but nice and stable on the open road though.
robcig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did a similiar experience when I testdrove my first road king in 2006. Let me first say that I only had driving license for motorcycle for a year when I drove the road king. My first bike was a yamaha 250 sr Special in 2005 and in 2006 I upgraded to a Honda cm 400 t. I thought that the brakes was probably designed for the weight of a Harley. I was driving strait forward at 120 km/h at a street limited to 70 km/h and for a Harley I applied my brakes Little bit to late and I almost dropped something in my pants. I was mad as hell but the guy from Harley was 200 cm Long and heavy and I am 175 cm otherweise I had said one or two things to that dude.

However I Kind of liked it when I think back to testdrive. The ones I drove before 2009 did not vibrate that badly as 2009 model did. I don't know if it was something wrong on the bike or if they that year had some issues with excess vibrations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcig View Post
I'm not sure about losing it's soul however, I nearly lost a couple of fillings when pulling up to a red light. Damn that thing shook and rattled like a paint mixer. Big heavy pig around town, but nice and stable on the open road though.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Any year road king is a great bike. I own a 2014 and love it. If you prefer the older ones, get one.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcig View Post
I know what you mean, below 1/2 mph or so you feel every one of the 700+ pounds... anything above that though the big pigs handle amazingly well.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Any year road king is a great bike. I own a 2014 and love it. If you prefer the older ones, get one.
+1

I rented a 2008 for one day that summer, on a business trip. I liked it. Two things that jump out in comparison to my new 2014. The 2014 103 is a huge step up in power over the 2008 96, and the 2014 handles far better. As far as the engine jumping around at a standstill - I don't recall much difference.

I can't speak to the soul part. I don't think any motorycles have soul. I think they elicit different responses in us, some much better than others, if you want to call that soul.

Mine is a superb bike on the road. The best I've ever ridden, and (to me) far superior to the 2009 GS I just sold. Probably not the best option for just zipping around town though.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
I have had my '04 RK classic for just over 2 years. While it is not a sport-bike it has been a much better bike than I expected. With a few farkles it has come to fit me like a glove and suit my riding style. I don't really understand how the merger of old and new technologies work so well, when according to the numbers they shouldn't. Yet, the truth is undeniable. I ride nearly everyday and am quite grumpy when I can't. We have been in four states together and I have plans for more.

I haven't ridden the newer ones, I did ride an '06, but I assume they are quite amazing as well. Funny thing is most dealers don't have too many RKs in stock....there is a point in there somewhere.

They say the newer ones are outstanding! If they are better than mine, I don't want to ride one......can't afford it. I think that any year would be great. The versatility of the RK cannot be matched.

Beginning to sound like I have drank the koolaid! Wanna see my t-shirt collection??
Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One day I will buy a harley but right now I can't afford one and it will a bike older then 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #9
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,091
As my first HD, I bought a '13 RK last year, about 2 months ago, traded it for a '14 RK, this is the bike they should of been building all along, IMHO a vast improvement over my '13.

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #10
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
I've got 95k on my 2000 Road King I bought Thanksgiving of 1999. I love riding it.
I agree with the poster who said there are no bad years/decisions. There are low mileage bikes out there to fit any budget.
Dean does have me thinking about a test ride on a 2014, though...
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Dean, can you provide some detail aboout the improvements you experience on the '14 vs the '13. Thanks..

Paul
Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #12
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 935
I have a 2001 road glide screamin eagle. worst bike I have ever ridden. I guess the "lifestyle" is'nt for me. Im not into plastering hardley bar and shields on everything and one I own. and the bike is not even adequate at best.

I am in the process of moving the harley out of the stable for something more up to date. a KLR. just think about that for a min. ha ha.
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,104
If that means you'll spend more time in the KLR threads, it's all good.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Geez. I didn't know when I bought the Road King I had to change my lifestyle. I guess I didn't get the memo back in the 80's either, when I had my first Harley, because I didn't change my lifestyle then either. No bar and shield labels on things. No loud pipes. No get back whip. No black leather assless chaps. No poker runs to bars. Still wearing a full face helmet. Let's keep that to ourselves, huh? If HD finds out they may come take the bike back, and I'm rather enjoying riding it.

Come to think of it, I've never fit the "lifestyle" for BMW either. I never go to Starbucks. No GPS or other electronic gizmos mounted on my handlebars. No Aerostich or BMW twat suit. Never bought anything from Touratech. No stickers plastered on my saddlebags to impress others.

Maybe I should have gotten a Goldwing. I am nearly 60. I like Dairy Queen.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
If that means you'll spend more time in the KLR threads, it's all good.

996DL
nah, dont worry I will still be around, buell does not count as they took the crapy harley mill and made some hp out of it, in a cool bike!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote