Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #241
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Did a 20 mile ride on a Norge today with my wife and we really enjoyed it.

If I could sell a bike or two I'd have one I think. The mechanic at the shop said that checking / adding oil is a PITA - and he showed me why, but other than that had no real bitches.

Is there an aftermarket dipstick/tube to remedy that?
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #242
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Did a 20 mile ride on a Norge today with my wife and we really enjoyed it.

If I could sell a bike or two I'd have one I think. The mechanic at the shop said that checking / adding oil is a PITA - and he showed me why, but other than that had no real bitches.

Is there an aftermarket dipstick/tube to remedy that?
you can get one of these from Holland LINK
but bikes built 2008 and later have an access port on the fairing, and the really new ones have an access door.
I haven't had any issues with mine (2008 with access hole) it's not that hard.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #243
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
The plastic Dipstick on my 2008 broke. I tried gluing it back together. Did not work. So I upgraded to a metal dipstick that comes up through the fairing near the valve cover. Just like the previous post...
It is very good for checking your oil, but it will take a bit longer to change your oil since you have to use that small opening to dump all your oil in.

this is me checking my oil...
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #244
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I finally had to change out my front tire. 11,000 miles and change.
I am ready to remove the brakes and find that it takes a 7mm allen wrench. I have a really nice set of metric allen wrenches 4mm,5mm,6mm,8mm. Where is the 7? I had to purchase a special 7mm wrench. I decided to keep that one in the tool kit under the seat.
All done and now I am waiting for the rain to stop.

Oh right, I am in Seattle. Does it ever really stop?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #245
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Thanks guys. After riding the bike and thinking about it for 24 hours, I really want one and fortunately I think the wife does too

Is there anything not to like about it? I know Guzzis are pretty simple and reliable machines, with a few quirks, but the quirks of the Norge seem pretty minimal. We ran 2 up against the wind, and I dialed it up to 90 and it seemed really capable and comfortable at that clip.

I know they are pretty hard to find used. I've done some searching and only found a handful. It seems they are a bit underrated.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #246
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Thanks guys. After riding the bike and thinking about it for 24 hours, I really want one and fortunately I think the wife does too

Is there anything not to like about it? I know Guzzis are pretty simple and reliable machines, with a few quirks, but the quirks of the Norge seem pretty minimal. We ran 2 up against the wind, and I dialed it up to 90 and it seemed really capable and comfortable at that clip.

I know they are pretty hard to find used. I've done some searching and only found a handful. It seems they are a bit underrated.
I'm not an owner, but BIKE magazine ran a Norge to, well, Norge (Nordkapp), a 6,000-mile round trip from the UK. They reported no problems and said the bike really became more loveable the more you rode it.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #247
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,050
Quote:

90 is a happy speed on the Norge...
of course some people take a dim view of it.

but, I digress.....
sometimes you don't need to find them used. A lot of dealers were blowing out "brand new" 2008's for short money.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #248
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
I know they are pretty hard to find used. I've done some searching and only found a handful.
You've only found a handful because there only is a handful! But MI has like five of them for sale (all '07's) right now and they ship all over the country. I think they are the biggest dealer in the U.S. And though I didn't buy my bike there, I've heard that the published price is negotiable. After all, they're '07's!
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #249
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

What kind of updates happened between 07 and '10 (other than a dipstick access door)?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #250
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The 010 has the 4 valve heads and quite a few things have been upgraded and changed. Suspension, body parts windshield. If you look at the wildguzzi forum there may be some used Norges available. Moto International is the place for a local dealer. Can't say enough good things about them.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #251
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
07-10 Norge differences?

New 4 valve heads for one.

You should pay a visit to Wild Guzzi forum:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

Moto International's Website:
http://www.motointernational.com/
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #252
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
90 is a happy speed on the Norge...
of course some people take a dim view of it.

but, I digress.....
sometimes you don't need to find them used. A lot of dealers were blowing out "brand new" 2008's for short money.
What is that hanging down from the bike? my eyes cant make it out, surely its easy but need help :) nice bike indeed
RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #253
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by RydRy View Post
What is that hanging down from the bike? my eyes cant make it out, surely its easy but need help :) nice bike indeed
Looks like the seat, with a sheepskin cover. Probably had the necessary paperwork stored under there.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #254
fonsecarlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
Hey!

So, I'm a short guy (1,70m) and a bit short-legged. My current bike is a kawasaky Versys wich has a 850mm seat height and I do fine, it scared me at first but I'm used to it by now.

I want to step up to something more powerfull, with luggage capacity, 2-up capabilities and all-day confort. In this moment, my choices are Moto Guzzi Norge and Triumph Explorer 1200.

I've sat on a norge and felt right at home, felt like I was part of the bike, and felt protected against the wind. My question for you guys is... At about the same price, the triumph has cruise control, traction control, 1 more cilinder and 30 more horsepower... and it seems a "do-it-all" kinda bike. I know it would be fairer to compare it to the stelvio, but if I go moto guzzi's way, it will DEFINITLY be the norge!!!

I know it all goes down to test-driving, but I wanted some first hand feedback about wind protection, pillion capabilities and engine power before going on the road to try them out (mainly because I don't have the money for the change )
Go for it. It`s a beautiful bike and a good one.
I just felt like you did, right at home.(1,74 cm).

It has enough power and it is not as heavy as other touring bikes.

Now, how do you rate it after the drive-test?

Boa decis緌.
fonsecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #255
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
What kind of updates happened between 07 and '10 (other than a dipstick access door)?
'06s - never imported into the States
'07s - same as the '06 but was the first year we got them - silver and red only. Late model '07s have a heavier rear spring - still underwhelming if you weight more than the mythical 170lb rider.
'08 - changed the stupid access to the oil dipstick to the ugly plug in the left lower. Champagne, and black added.
'09 - no changes that I'm aware of
'10 - never imported - moved to the 4-valve engine, completely different plastic, suspension, seat, etc.
'11 - same as the '10.

I think that covers the highlights.

Some early '07s had front rotors that warped - covered under warranty. Likewise a few had an oil pump problem. Check with GuzziTech for more information, Neither issue is enough to think twice about purchasing.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote