Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #271
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I've decided to upgrade my horn and I'm going to use a relay setup. That means I need to find a source for some horn power. I'm sure Jim Davis would tell me to simply run a fused line right off the battery but I hate mucking up the battery terminals with extra lines. So I'm thinking about tapping into the under-seat power socket then just running a long wire to the front of the bike. I think I can then ground it anywhere.

Unless one of you's guys has a better suggestion for a power draw closer to the front. Warning--I do not want to remove all the tupperware to do this!
Nobody ever replied to this post, so I guess I will!

Decided to tap power right off the battery. Bought a pair of Hella horns which conveniently come in RED! Mounting was fairly straightforward but I did have to slim them down by dremeling off the ends of the "trumpets." Came out OK though, looks good, sounds good--not loud like a 18-wheeler but loud like a Mercedes, and no contact with the fender under compression.

You can also see in this pic the titanium colored 1200 Sport forks I installed.

DRONE screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 05:31 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #272
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Matching horns, cool
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #273
vacantstare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Well, I sold my KLR, so it's new bike time...I think it's going to be a Norge. Silver. I am wondering if I should make an offer on one of MI's '07s that are already steeply discounted, or just pay the asking price.
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #274
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantstare View Post
Well, I sold my KLR, so it's new bike time...I think it's going to be a Norge. Silver. I am wondering if I should make an offer on one of MI's '07s that are already steeply discounted, or just pay the asking price.
My bet would be you could make and offer, but as the bikes are already so steeply discounted, and they continue to sell well at those prices, you'll end up paying what they are asking. (sounds like you already have the Guzzi owner attitude about spending money - you'll fit right in ).

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #275
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Do it! I'm really liking my 08 Norge
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #276
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
The Norge has got to be the best looking sport-tourer on the market right now, to my eyes anyway. Can't wait until I finish school and get a real job again...

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #277
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I took a quick trip to Chelan, WA. (about 180 miles away) with my friend. He was riding his Ducati ST2 and I was riding the Norge. Today we switched bikes for about 50 miles. I was interested in his opinion of the Norge. He really liked it. HE liked the handling and the weather protection. He also liked the acceleration, but there was a bit more vibration at speed.
The Ducati was a blast to ride but too much air in my face and too bent over riding position. While I was riding the Ducati my camera came out of my pocket and fell along the side of the road. We went back to look, but could not find it.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #278
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Ha! Serves you right! Flirt with the Devil and get slapped! That'll teach you!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #279
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

But I digress. He liked the handling, huh? Do you have the stock suspension? And is he a big guy or a little guy? And is he a poser, or somebody who's opinion holds water?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #280
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good questions. My friend is a serious rider. He is a bit bigger and a few pounds lighter than I. One time while on a trip together going to Long Beach, WA. we came upon a stretch of road just before Long Beach. We stopped and he told me don't try and keep up I will wait for you 10 miles down the road at the end. I tried to go as fast as I was safe and he was out of sight in 30 to 60 seconds. He was riding an Aprillia Mille and I was on an old Suzuki GS 750. But still, I was impressed.
My Norge has all the stock suspension, and stock motor.

here we are on Steven's Pass. This was taken with his camera:
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #281
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
But I digress. He liked the handling, huh? Do you have the stock suspension? And is he a big guy or a little guy? And is he a poser, or somebody who's opinion holds water?
my brother has an ST3.

He came out to visit, and while he usually rides my '96 Triumph Sprint, I talked him in to the Norge for a spin. He loved it compared to the ST3. He said the fuel mapping was much better, and he was surprised a few times when he looked down to see how fast he was going.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #282
vacantstare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Well, I finally got to MI yesterday to take one of their '07 Norges for a test ride.

I found the leg room a bit cramped- I have a 34" in seam, and the pegs felt high to me. I'm sure part of it is the fact that most of the bikes I've ridden in the last 4 years were standards or dual sports with less sporty seating arrangements. I could probably get used to it.

It might have been a matter of adjusting the shift lever, but on the bike I rode, the lever was coming in to contact with the fairing when shifting up. This caused me to miss shifts from 2nd to 3rd more than once. I would probably remove the leg fairings anyway, so really not a big issue.

I LOVED the sound of the bike- enough growl to get a little attention without being obnoxious. It was loud enough to force the woman in the lane next to me to roll up her window so she could continue talking on her cell phone.

All in all it was a good experience. The bike is heavier than I'm used to, but not bad. Good brakes. Handling much sportier than what I'm used to.

Looks like the OTD price would be between 10 and 11.5 depending on exactly which of the '07s I went for.

Thinking real hard about this...trying not to think about saving a buck or two and getting a breva or griso instead.
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #283
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
I found the leg room a bit cramped- I have a 34" in seam, and the pegs felt high to me. I'm sure part of it is the fact that most of the bikes I've ridden in the last 4 years were standards or dual sports with less sporty seating arrangements. I could probably get used to it.
same as me, 34"

Quote:
It might have been a matter of adjusting the shift lever, but on the bike I rode, the lever was coming in to contact with the fairing when shifting up. This caused me to miss shifts from 2nd to 3rd more than once. I would probably remove the leg fairings anyway, so really not a big issue.
I thought to adjust my shift lever up the "usual" way, pop it off, rotate one spline, and back on, but that doesn't work, hits fairing. The way to do it is adjust the toe bit, it's on an eccentric. That seems to work fine.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #284
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

The leg position is DEFINITELY a big change if you're used to riding a dual sport, but you'll settle into it. Also, though the stock seat is pretty plush, you can easily add an inch or two by adding foam and recovering the seat, which I did along with 1" bar risers. I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam.

Also, about that OTD price, we should mention to folks that are not from around here, that the OTD price includes a 10% use tax brought to you by the good folks at the State of Washington. Out-of-state buyers of course would not pay this.

Quote:
Thinking real hard about this...trying not to think about saving a buck or two and getting a breva or griso instead.
The Griso is a very cool bike but definitely not something you'd want to do a multi-day tour with, or even an all-day tour with. But a real head-turner and great fun. The Breva 1200 Sport, on the other hand, outfitted with luggage, is a good solid bike. Not as sexy as the Norge, won't turn many heads, but nice not having all the plastic and you still get that kick-ass 1200 powerplant.

The ergos for those three bikes (in order Norge Breva Griso) for a guy 6'2" with a 34" inseam with stock bars and seat--
  • forward lean -- 7 16 19 (degrees)
  • knee angle -- 73 75 70 (degrees)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #285
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You people are Giants!
I have a 28" or 29" inseam and my feet touch the ground but just barely. The pegs, and shifter and brake work perfectly for me. I guess my body type is more like the average Italian.
My choices were limited, since all of the other Sport Touring bikes have very tall seat heights.