Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #436
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
That was me checking it out in the rain. I am not in the market for another bike. If I was.... Hmmm.
I just prefer the upright riding position of the Norge.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #437
RunnerDude
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I just ordered a 2013 Norge. Can't wait to get it, this forum has been helpful.
RunnerDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #438
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Missing my Norge...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd View Post
My 8V norge has also just had its 2nd oil change, your comment about having to tweak a few things has got me curious .
Would you care to share your thoughts on that subject
I did manage about two thousand miles before I left to return to work. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find how well the bike was a fit to me. I thought it was pretty much right where I wanted it to be. I did see a lower seat that I want to try. The stock seat is good but getting down a bit more behind the windshield would be good. And I would add that for a smallish looking windshield, it does a damn good job of keeping the wind and rain off. When I see how much wear I get out of the stock tires, I will probably try another brand just to experiment a bit. All things considered, for buying it cold without having ridden a goose, it was about as close to a perfect fit for me as I am ever likely to see again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
The white one looks good.
this white one looks good as well...
As I said earlier, troublemaker.....
This is supposed to be about the Norge and then you throw a pic of a new Californian into the mix. That is my next bike when I get home. IMHO it's far classier and better looking than the other companies Vtwin cruiser. God willing, there will be one in my garage soon.

Taglioni, you did well. I like the white color and the top box. Looks great man.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #439
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
I did manage about two thousand miles before I left to return to work. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find how well the bike was a fit to me. I thought it was pretty much right where I wanted it to be.
{snip}
When I see how much wear I get out of the stock tires, I will probably try another brand just to experiment a bit. All things considered, for buying it cold without having ridden a goose, it was about as close to a perfect fit for me as I am ever likely to see again.

If the Norge still comes with those miserable Metzler Z6s, you'll be very pleased with how almost anything else handles. My tire of choice has been the Dunlop RoadSmarts since my first tire change. It made one heck of a difference in handling. I've been getting about 9K miles out of a set.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #440
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
If the Norge still comes with those miserable Metzler Z6s, you'll be very pleased with how almost anything else handles. My tire of choice has been the Dunlop RoadSmarts since my first tire change. It made one heck of a difference in handling. I've been getting about 9K miles out of a set.

jdg
Thanks for the opinion here. When I picked it up, I was fresh off the plane back from here to the US by way of Jakarta and more than a little jet lagged. I can pretty much garantee it had two tires on it but no idea of the brand. I made it home in pretty good time and rode some there before coming back. I was satisfied with the way it felt but like I said before, I'll tweak it some. New rubber is a place to start when the originals wear out. Thanks for telling me. I'm still thinking it was about the best fit I've ever found on a bike for me. One happy rider.....that is when I'm there to ride it....
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #441
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
Thanks for the opinion here. When I picked it up, I was fresh off the plane back from here to the US by way of Jakarta and more than a little jet lagged. I can pretty much garantee it had two tires on it but no idea of the brand. I made it home in pretty good time and rode some there before coming back. I was satisfied with the way it felt but like I said before, I'll tweak it some. New rubber is a place to start when the originals wear out. Thanks for telling me. I'm still thinking it was about the best fit I've ever found on a bike for me. One happy rider.....that is when I'm there to ride it....
I know what you mean about the fit - the Norge is the closest I've ever come to a bike being just right straight off the showroom floor. Even now, there is very little I'd change. I would like a different seat for those longer back to back days, but for single 600 mile or so days the stock one works well.

Be safe over there.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #442
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,127
I have loved my Norge from day one as well. I fitted Michelin Pilot Road 2's (since I'm a Michelin kind of guy) and I like them a lot better than the stock Metzlers... but that being said the Metzlers were OK too.

If I was to change anything I think I'd want less "flair out" behind the foot pegs. I like to ride w/ the balls of my feet on the pegs, and it feels like the bike makes me a bit pigeon -toed.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #443
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just did a rear tire change yesterday. I put another Dunlop Road Smart tire on it. The last one gave me over 9,000 miles.
My Friend can get about 12,000 out of his Harley rear tire but it was totally bald. We were on an overnight trip and discovered just how bald the tire was. We found a shop in Wenatchee that got the bike right in and now he is on some good rubber again.
I decided not to tempt fate. My wear bar was flush with the surface of the tire, so I decided to replace it from the comfort of my own garage.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #444
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,577
Woo hoo, it's the Norge thread!

I've had a 2011 Norge (2nd generation) for two years and 18k miles. It took a while to sort the various loose fasteners and oil leaks (I'm having my fourth oil pressure sensor installed), and it is a tremendous bike. Very agile, easy to ride easy or fast, a great long distance bike with a passenger, looks and sounds great. I think it is a very good value for how it is equipped. I'm 6'3" with a 34 inseam, I found the seating a bit cramped and the seat padding too thin, so I had the seat redone and now the ergos are excellent.

Stock tires were Pirelli ST Angel Treads, they are very well suited to the bike and wear very well. I picked up a staple at 12k (half of that was two up) and there was still a couple thousand miles left on the rear. Very good rain tire as well.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done any suspension work on their 2nd gen Norge? The stock suspension is surprisingly good (Sachs shock and Marzocchi forks), and at 18k I'm planning on suspension work in the coming year.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #445
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw View Post
Woo hoo, it's the Norge thread!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has done any suspension work on their 2nd gen Norge? The stock suspension is surprisingly good (Sachs shock and Marzocchi forks), and at 18k I'm planning on suspension work in the coming year.
Since I have a 1st Gen, I have not done any suspension work on the 2nd Gen, but I've heard it is much better out of the crate than the early ones. That being said, I'd talk to Todd over at GuzziTech and see what he has to say.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #446
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Since I have a 1st Gen, I have not done any suspension work on the 2nd Gen, but I've heard it is much better out of the crate than the early ones. That being said, I'd talk to Todd over at GuzziTech and see what he has to say.

jdg
Todd says he doesn't have any stick time with the newer bikes. But he's still willing to sell me suspension bits ;-) which is why I'm asking for people with experience.

Too bad Stig isn't in the retail business anymore, he looked after the suspension on my GS and I was real happy with his work.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #447
boduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post

If I was to change anything I think I'd want less "flair out" behind the foot pegs. I like to ride w/ the balls of my feet on the pegs, and it feels like the bike makes me a bit pigeon -toed.
Pretty much the only reason I don't have one. Went back twice to test ride, really wanted one but it's pigeon toed nature didn't agree with my duc feet.

Would probably still be in the stable had I not climbed on a SMT. Still see a goose in my future thou...
boduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #448
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Time for new front tire

I was running the front tire at about 34PSI instead of 42. This is what it looked like after about 8,000 miles.

HEre is the new tire. I decided I wanted a dual compound non Dunlop tire...

Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #449
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
I was running the front tire at about 34PSI instead of 42. This is what it looked like after about 8,000 miles.
[snippage]
42 sounds awful high for a front tire. OK for the back but I would think 36 would be about right for the front.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #450
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
42 sounds awful high for a front tire. OK for the back but I would think 36 would be about right for the front.
+1

Touring, 34-36 for the front. 40-44 for the back, depending upon load.

42 in the front sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote