Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #1756
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Or maybe it is time to install the new ones that I bought months months ago...
You are in for a surprise, as great as the original lights are, the Model 44s are a big improvement.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #1757
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
You are in for a surprise, as great as the original lights are, the Model 44s are a big improvement.
I am so happy with the old ones, and of course lazy, to replace them with the new one. If I didnt get them broken, I'd probably never replace them. :)
4 LED one are still sitting in the box.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #1758
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
Just wanted to give some feedback on the LED dimmer. I use the ADV Monster with LED lights from another vendor, and the dimmer works great. I have the LEDs dialed down to like 30% with the lows and use the high beam trigger. So far I am very impressed with the functionality.

My relay is triggered by the lows before it hits the Dimmer, and I also have a switch inline to the relay if I want to turn the lights off completely.

Anyway, thumbs up on the dimmer design - very functional design for the intended use.
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #1759
FJRJO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Just wanted to give some feedback on the LED dimmer. I use the ADV Monster with LED lights from another vendor, and the dimmer works great. I have the LEDs dialed down to like 30% with the lows and use the high beam trigger. So far I am very impressed with the functionality.

My relay is triggered by the lows before it hits the Dimmer, and I also have a switch inline to the relay if I want to turn the lights off completely.

Anyway, thumbs up on the dimmer design - very functional design for the intended use.
Have mine wired in a simular fashion got a green led from the Shack wired in for indicating led pecentage.Two
Thumbs up on one hell of a nice working dimmer.
FJRJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #1760
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

How about some install pics on your dimmers.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #1761
FJRJO
Adventurer

Install pics

Quote:
How about some install pics on your dimmers.
Here is the only shot I have of tapping into the high beam wire for the dimmer. Installed the dimmer under the t-bar under the gas tank on my FJR and dont have a picture of that.Used a tie strap to attach,and drilled a hole in the battery cover for the led. Next time I take the tank up will try to photograph it.Not much to see really.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #1762
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Wow...made it through this whole thread...

A quick question, what's the reasoning for only having spot option for the lower power light...is it just an availability issue?

The 30 seems like it would be a good option for a city driving fog light in flood mode....and an economical option as well.

I guess the 44 flood would serve that function if used with the dimmer...
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #1763
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post

A quick question, what's the reasoning for only having spot option for the lower power light...is it just an availability issue?

The 30 seems like it would be a good option for a city driving fog light in flood mode....and an economical option as well.

From my experience using the older 10W, 24W and the current model "44" they all pretty much show am "Off-Road" beam pattern typical for a flash light so pretty much focused I'd say. Using 4 individual light sources in case of the model 44 and the funnel shaped reflector focuses the light to a point.
I'm happy with this; using them dimmed as Daytime Running Lights and on full blast with absolutely no oncoming traffic...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #1764
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRJO View Post
Here is the only shot I have of tapping into the high beam wire for the dimmer. Installed the dimmer under the t-bar under the gas tank on my FJR and dont have a picture of that.Used a tie strap to attach,and drilled a hole in the battery cover for the led. Next time I take the tank up will try to photograph it.Not much to see really.
Exactly what I had in mind when I came up with the idea. Stick the electronics in an out of the way place, use the remote. Have you tested your max range with the remote?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #1765
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post

Congrats on making it through the whole thing

The beam pattern on the model 30 while not as wide as the model 44 is more than adequate as a fog/driving type light. Aiming of the light is more critical with the model 30 to acheive a wider light pattern.

Perhaps wishin4woods could jump in here as he has a single model 30 on his KLX as an aid to the massive power of his stock 25 or 35w main light
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #1766
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:

Perhaps wishin4woods could jump in here as he has a single model 30 on his KLX as an aid to the massive power of his stock 25 or 35w main light
Hey!! What are you trying to say about my headlight?!

We call the 30 a spot because the majority of the light is centralized but it actually has a fairly broad light pattern.

In the case of our lights, the 44 has an even wider and brighter beam so that is our "flood" light.

I use the 30 on my KLX for a couple of reasons. 1) I have a weak sauce stator so the 30 is perfect with it's low power consumption. 2) The narrower beam allows me to be a bit less blinding to oncoming traffic while still providing plenty of light for night rides. (Even with the 30 I would highly recommend a dimmer for night time use if oncoming traffic is present.)

I did a night ride this weekend and the group that I was with made me lead because of my better lighting. One of my buddies has an upgraded headlight on his KTM and he couldn't believe how much more light my bike was making compared to his.

As for why we do not have a lower output flood, it is all about the design of our lights.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #1767
FJRJO
Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly what I had in mind when I came up with the idea. Stick the electronics in an out of the way place, use the remote. Have you tested your max range with the remote?
Being under the tank the dimmer is well protected but range has not been tested,if I get my lasy ass off the couch today might test it.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #1768
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,989
Hi John,

I sent the payment for a replacement glass and 2 xpels last week. Can you please confirm that you got it. I didnt get response to my emails.
Thanks.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #1769
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Hi John,

I sent the payment for a replacement glass and 2 xpels last week. Can you please confirm that you got it. I didnt get response to my emails.
Thanks.
PM sent.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #1770
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Laugh Sale on Model 30 LED Spot Lights

Just a reminder that we are having a $20.00 off Sale on our Model 30 Spot and Model 30 Spot w/ HD Bracket.