Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #2041
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Is there some type of lighting rehab program that we can get you into ?
Ha! I thought I was in it already - this thread!

A good product, and good support. There have been issues, and no doubt there will be more but the product is evolving. I may put some more lights on my Landcruiser

I do a bit of night riding when I get the chance - I enjoy it a lot. You guys in North America have some heavy duty animals on the road that seem to be bent on suicide - down here we have "bouncy beef" - kangaroos, wallabies and their smaller brethren. And wild pigs, BIG wild pigs. And camels. And brumbies (wild horses). And goats. And a lot of stations (ranches) have no fences on the roads that go through them - a black angus bull is invisible when lying down on a warm tar road at night...

So I like lights up front, and the more the merrier...

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #2042
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 975
It's all true. Nearly hit a dingo and a cow on the same night between Fitzroy Crossing and Hall Creek. Close enough to kick them on the way by! (note - RSPCA lurkers, I didn't do it).

]
Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #2043
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
- a black angus bull is invisible when lying down on a warm tar road at night...

viz

That will make you pucker up eh?

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #2044
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Sanjoh,
Just ordered three 44's, two for the bike, one to replace the POS light in my Hannigan sidecar, and a dimmer. Looking forward to some illumination and conspicuity.

Your order shipped today, don't be surprised if it shows up tomorrow

Extra credit for a picture of your setup once installed, 3x model 44 should be very impressive.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #2045
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,285
Hey guys ....the lights are super
i ride to work at 4.15 am daily ...and now i can see where im going its been a lot safer ride ...I do encounter traffic in the other direction and i aim them low .... i dont get the flash no more so it must have worked ....i dont run a dimmer i have them wired in my headlight switch ....

we all like pic's .....nothing better than kicker a xrr at 4.15 am
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #2046
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Your order shipped today, don't be surprised if it shows up tomorrow

Extra credit for a picture of your setup once installed, 3x model 44 should be very impressive.
Thanks, will do.
I'm assuming the dimmer will work on all three lights, based on what I read here. Initially the hack light will be full power as I will be taking it apart for paint in a month and will run the dimmer wires than. Hack light is behind a smoke lens and low, so it may not be too bad that way.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #2047
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Thanks, will do.
I'm assuming the dimmer will work on all three lights, based on what I read here. Initially the hack light will be full power as I will be taking it apart for paint in a month and will run the dimmer wires than. Hack light is behind a smoke lens and low, so it may not be too bad that way.
The dimmer will handle the 3 lights easily, up to 96 watts.

If you describe the way you want to use them, ie the hack on all the time, except dimmed during normal operation, all lights on full on high beam, or something like that, I can draw a wiring diagram for you if needed.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #2048
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
The dimmer will handle the 3 lights easily, up to 96 watts.

If you describe the way you want to use them, ie the hack on all the time, except dimmed during normal operation, all lights on full on high beam, or something like that, I can draw a wiring diagram for you if needed.
Thanks for the offer, I think I'm set for that. I already have an ignition triggered relay from a set of cheap lights I had mounted under the headlight that were removed for clearance issues when the trail was increased for hack steering. I plan to wire the dimmer into that source than out directly to the 44's mounted the on the fender. Currently the hack light is set to come on with the key on a different lead so I will run it at full power at first. If it's too much I'll run the leads from the dimmer after I pull the body off for paint next month. It's behind a smoked cover and low so it may not be an issue.
I understand about running both leads form the dimmer to the lights and not using a chassis ground..
Pics will follow after the install.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #2049
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,960
I finally tested my 60's last night. They are definitely much much brighter than my old 30's. I used to see my halogen stock head light on the pavement with low beams (30% LEDs) but now I can't see any yellowish halogen light whatsoever, also at 30%. And there is no way at full power. It is almost useless to have stock lights anymore since they dont do any good next to 60's.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #2050
bluzman
BluezMan

Oddometer: 68
I have 4 of these wired up to my Connie. For the sole purpose of clearing traffic for lane splitting...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #2051
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
OK order placed

I'm hoping that model 60 3600 lumen light I just orderd fits the bill for my missing high beem.
I'll mount it up in this frame to finish up mu Touratech Orxy convertion

redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #2052
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,383
Are the 60s the latest/brightest offering?
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #2053
MaynardAir
hangin' on...

Oddometer: 4

Just roughed this in using your crash bar mounts on my R1150GSA. The fixed pins on the crash bar mount don't seem to allow for either a perpendicular or parallel angle. I'm thinking of filing the pins off and sandwiching a rubber fender washer in there to lock the right angle in. Am I going about this right or am I missing something?
MaynardAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #2054
Notabiker
Notabiker.. really!

Oddometer: 24
My wife got me a set of the 60's with dimmer for my birthday! Yes she it's awesome and no you can't have her!! I'm in Alaska so to get more use out of the lights I'm thinking of mounting them on my skidoo summit. My thoughts are that a hot light getting buried in snow might crack the glass or cause other havoc with the temp shock. So I was thinking of mounting them behind the wind screen on the dash.. Would these risk melting the screen is what I am eventually getting at? Also had anyone tried to mount these on with a suction cup type of thing? I wouldn't do it on a bike but a sled...
Notabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #2055
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardAir View Post

Just roughed this in using your crash bar mounts on my R1150GSA. The fixed pins on the crash bar mount don't seem to allow for either a perpendicular or parallel angle. I'm thinking of filing the pins off and sandwiching a rubber fender washer in there to lock the right angle in. Am I going about this right or am I missing something?
You are missing something! The mount is designed to have a flat surface that is parrallel to the ground. You may need to rotate the entire half of the bracket to get it in the correct direction. The way you have them mounted in the pic will not work very well as the light is likely to move around due to the moment created by the distance it is from the crashbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabiker View Post
My wife got me a set of the 60's with dimmer for my birthday! Yes she it's awesome and no you can't have her!! I'm in Alaska so to get more use out of the lights I'm thinking of mounting them on my skidoo summit. My thoughts are that a hot light getting buried in snow might crack the glass or cause other havoc with the temp shock. So I was thinking of mounting them behind the wind screen on the dash.. Would these risk melting the screen is what I am eventually getting at? Also had anyone tried to mount these on with a suction cup type of thing? I wouldn't do it on a bike but a sled...
That's a thoughtful wife, congrats. If mounted behind the windscreen, the glare will likely kill your eyes, I wouldn't recommend it. You may have a point on the lens cracking, but if you want to test it out (off the sled) and they crack, I will send you a new one and a pair of our xpel lens protection for free. Just post up your findings here.