Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #2071
Weekend Warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Nice install.

Are the SW Motech mounts stainless or powder coated steel?

How do you think the lights will fair in a drop?

The mounts are powdercoated black. It does not say if it is stainless or steel but I would assume steel. They appear to be very sturdy.
Weekend Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #2072
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
The mounts are powdercoated black. It does not say if it is stainless or steel but I would assume steel. They appear to be very sturdy.
I was curious as to what you think of the light positioning, usually the light mounting dictates how it will fare in a drop/crash. Usually the higher and closer to the triple clamp the better with respect to light survival.

They look fantastic on your bike and definitely add to the aesthetics IMO.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #2073
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,147
I like these mounts. Solid, easy to take the light on & off and gives a bit more space for the wiring and spedometer.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #2074
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I like these mounts. Solid, easy to take the light on & off and gives a bit more space for the wiring and spedometer.
You might want to include some context in your post. Not sure what this has to do with LED lights!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #2075
Weekend Warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I was curious as to what you think of the light positioning, usually the light mounting dictates how it will fare in a drop/crash. Usually the higher and closer to the triple clamp the better with respect to light survival.

They look fantastic on your bike and definitely add to the aesthetics IMO.
I would say they will hold up very well. As you can see from the pictures the turn signals and tank plastic stick out further from the bike than the LED's. It would probably help to have some crash bars that extend up to the upper plastic such as those from Holan, but since I bought the bike used it already came with the Triumph crash bars.

The triumph aux lights have a nice steel cover around the lights but I could not find anything to buy seperately. These lights blend in with the black on the plastic and do not stick out as much visually.
Weekend Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #2076
Notabiker
Notabiker.. really!

Oddometer: 24
Sanjoh = That's a thoughtful wife, congrats. If mounted behind the windscreen, the glare will likely kill your eyes, I wouldn't recommend it. You may have a point on the lens cracking, but if you want to test it out (off the sled) and they crack, I will send you a new one and a pair of our xpel lens protection for free. Just post up your findings here.

Test consisted of a 16 qt. Coleman cooler which I shoveled snow into off the back deck.. Think there's about three feet deep of the stuff so that didn't make a dent btw. Hooked up my xr650l bike battery in parallel with my TL1000R battery with a tiny battery tender to help out the batteries a little. I used a craftsman professional combo voltmeter/temp sensor sort of thing.

Snow in cooler was at 23F.
With the light on full power and the IR temp sensor pointing directly into the leds I got a reading of 214F, the side of the light got to around 121F. Battery's were down to 12.08 volts. I let the light sit on full power for about 8 minutes.

I then proceeded to pack the lens full of snow which if I mounted the light on the front of the sled and if I hit a big drift or such that snow came up over the hood would have this effect. Nothing happened.. I then let it heat up again and buried it under the snow which could happen if I was practicing some full lean turns and lost traction (got stuck on the side).

I just redid the test with a 14.4 volt dewalt drill battery to better simulate running volts. At five minutes run time @ full power and the IR temp sensor pointing directly into the leds I got a reading of 231F, the side of the light got to around 147F. The snow half melted in the cooler but the temp was still 25F. At the exact moment I stuck the light lens first into the snow/water mix the temp override thing inside the housing tripped and the light output decreased. I thought the snow made the light dim as it was such perfect timing. This would have been the hottest the light could have possibly got for a test. After two minutes completely submerged it went back to full power. I pulled it out and shook off the water and the only thing was a light film of condensation directly in front of the four leds on the inside of the glass. I let it sit on full power for roughly 8 minutes and now the condensation is gone from the inside of the lens.

I brought my summit in to the garage so tomorrow I'll see where I can mount these in a location I'd have a hard time breaking.

On a side note the HD brackets are definitely thicker but where the mounting ears are bent to fit into the "foot" there is a slight split in the metal going from flat to 90degrees, so while they are heavier duty the ears have have headstarts to getting peeled off though I think there would be bigger problems by the time that occurs. Possible fix would to have a bigger radius in the metal before the bend so the metal there can have a more gradual transfer from flat to 90 degree bent ear.

All in all a good robust product! I just need to find some waterproof connectors so I can move from snowmobile to dualsport without a complete rewire spring and fall!
Notabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #2077
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Wow Notabiker, thanks for the thorough test.

We have waterproof connectors in stock.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #2078
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Sorry got cross posted.

I meant these would be good for this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post18041013

Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2079
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
I'm planning on getting one 60 light. Seems like everyone is getting 2. Is one enough for spirited off-road riding?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #2080
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk View Post
I'm planning on getting one 60 light. Seems like everyone is getting 2. Is one enough for spirited off-road riding?
One 60 is more than enough for spirited off road riding. Might want to check your stator output for available watts. The 60 uses 30 watts at full tilt.

If you look back in the thread a few pages, ginger beard is running a single model 30 on his KLX300R. I've seen him ride off road at night without a problem.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #2081
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Weekend warrior,
Nice setup on your tiger. I'm doing the same thing to mine. Where did you mount the dimmer? And how are you wiring it? I was planning on using the oem foglight connector for power and tapping off the highbeam at the large connector behind the steering stem for the purple wire. Is that similar to your setup?

Btw, the Holan crashbars don't cover all the way up the side of the tank, only enough to cover the lower plastic piece, not the upper. And unfortunately, you have to remove them to remove the tank.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #2082
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behubert View Post
Is the above numberplate/headlight (on the Husky) your companies design? I am a huge fan and very interested!!! I personally would prefer a shorter or removable windscreen, but i would love some more information.
The product is in development, a seperate thread is going here. Thanks for your interest.

Quote:
Also, I had a problem earlier with the M60 light not pushing a lot of light and ADV Monster's customer service was second to none. I owe you all a sincere "Thank You"! This was a breath of fresh air.
Thanks for the praise, we strive to do our best.

A few questions with answers in bold

1) When will the fairing/headlight replacement be available? Price? Check other thread.

2) Is it possible to source a different lense for the M60 so I can get a more focused light pattern? It would be great to have one spot and one flood! Can you say awesome Baja set up! A more focused beam will require a new design. Myself and others think it is an awesome baja setup as is! A light similar to our M30 with 2700 lumens is desirable

3) What is the tempurature rating (light rating?) of the M60? i.e. 6000k etc. 5500k

4) How can I know that I am getting all the light possible out of my lights? Are there any simple tests? I have a multi-meter and am pretty savy with it. My system was put together by an electrical engineer, but it never hurts to be sure. No simple test other than does it provide adequate light.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #2083
Drabnor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I have a few questions about the M1 helmet light.

How many amps/watts does it use? And can the battery pack be recharged from a 12v source?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #2084
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Oh that sounds beautiful! When can I expect the little gem?
Not sure at this point, will update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabnor View Post
I have a few questions about the M1 helmet light.

How many amps/watts does it use? And can the battery pack be recharged from a 12v source?
1 amp @ 12v. The battery pack can be charged from a 12v source, however only a 110v charger is included. A small ac/dc converter can work in your auto. We also have leads that you can hook up to fused 12v to power the light directly from the motorcycle.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #2085
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,161
Thumb Trip report (of sorts)

I may be the odd man out as I am strictly a streetrider, but the information may be helpful to others. I now have three 40 mile dark commutes with the three 44's.
The sidecar light is at full power, pointed straight ahead, and is low enough and behind a smoked cover that it does not bother anyone, but nicely lights the side of the road and signs. Next time I have the body work and tank off I'll run some leads from the dimmer in case I change my mind.
The two fork mounts are on the dimmer and I have played with the angle and dimmer to find a place that adds fill to the low beam yet does not blind anyone. They are aimed slightly down, the left one aimed slightly to the right. Standing 100ft in front of the bike they are very noticeable day and night, but not intrusive or blinding. I considered adding the yellow lenses for conspicuity, but I think the white LED's are more noticeable as there are so many yellow lights on everything these days.
High beam and full power are another story entirely. WOW!
Thanks for a great product.
www.earplugco.com

Bobmws screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 02:56 PM
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote