ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #2221
Daboo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
Sanjoh - ...How about 60 spots - and true spots that are focussed some distance from the source, without light scatter to the sides? ...
+1

Chris
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #2222
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large
 
Bobmws's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Same trailer, different park, FL
Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Maybe but there is a reason why traffic lights don't use white light :-) I guess depends what you want to achieve.
You can see better with white light but when you want to be seen amber works better I think.
I disagree. The pics don't show the intensity of these. I run mine on the fender at ~30% dimmed. The white intensity is a serious eye catcher. When I took the S/TEP class everyone commented on them and were totally blown away when I hit the high level.
I considered the yellow/amber color myself for the same reason you state, but I feel there is so much yellow/yellowish lighting out there with DRL's on most newer cars that people are becoming complacent in recognizing the lights.
I have the 40's and feel the white light is much more noticeable form a distance than any pics can show.

The above is my opinion, and I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.........
__________________
Bob Weis 04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Photo's: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w464/Bobmws/
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #2223
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer
 
kelsow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 1,104
Sanjoh.

I sent an email to Dave more than a week ago and one to you as well a few days ago.
Haven't had a response yet.

Shall I resend it?
__________________
"Kelsow's helmet is so tight, it cuts off the circulation to his personality."
Location: Doucheonia
Ride: 2010 BMW F800GS
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #2224
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Caught in the ACT, Australia
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
Lights are bright - seriously bright. If you are on a narrow road with lots of growth on the side you get a lot of reflection back which makes the centre of the road a bit dark - the upside is though you can see the sides a lot more and the suicide 'roos and wombats a lot earlier (in Oz - yes we have deer and buffalo and beef here too, but they seem to have more sense)

What I need is a spot that is longer ranged and more focussed than the 30's that are currently on offer, to fill up that black hole in the centre.
viz
I have now got mine working and tested them briefly in my street which is pretty dark.
Admittedly I only have 3500 lumens but I think the dark well in the centre of the field of vision you talk about happens because there is nothing there to reflect the light back to you like there is on the side of the road.

If something jumps into that central area I'm pretty sure it would be lit up quite brightly.

If you fitted a 20,000 lumen narrow beam spot to focus on that area, you could probably light up things 2k down the road but what for?
And in corners it would be lighting up one side of the road.
__________________
2013 Suzuki DR650SE - Modified
2007 BMW R1200 GS/GSA Hybrid
2003 Fireblade
Billy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #2225
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy
 
viz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney, Oz
Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
I have now got mine working and tested them briefly in my street which is pretty dark.
Admittedly I only have 3500 lumens but I think the dark well in the centre of the field of vision you talk about happens because there is nothing there to reflect the light back to you like there is on the side of the road.

If something jumps into that central area I'm pretty sure it would be lit up quite brightly.

If you fitted a 20,000 lumen narrow beam spot to focus on that area, you could probably light up things 2k down the road but what for?
And in corners it would be lighting up one side of the road.
I have yet to do some real dark matter stuff in the outback on the bike - where not hitting bouncy beef is one's main aim. The wides are brilliant - no hot spots and even, diffused light. But the centre needs filling IMHO, and this is based on experience in 4WDs in the outback where seeing a long way is good... In combo with wides a long range spot would work well in covering sides and distance...

viz
__________________
Pig In The City - 2010 BMW R1200 GSA Adventure
1996 XL1200S Sportster - a temporary insanity
Webmaster BMW Touring Club of NSW
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #2226
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy
 
viz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney, Oz
Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Close Encounters

Really great weekend that was - some 1000 km of dirt roads in three days, all over Barrington Tops/Gloucester Tops from temperatures of 3 to 25C - rain, dirt, mud, flooded causeways, tar, fog - and great food and company. And I did not use the lights once!

viz
__________________
Pig In The City - 2010 BMW R1200 GSA Adventure
1996 XL1200S Sportster - a temporary insanity
Webmaster BMW Touring Club of NSW
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #2227
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large
 
Bobmws's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Same trailer, different park, FL
Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
I have yet to do some real dark matter stuff in the outback on the bike - where not hitting bouncy beef is one's main aim. The wides are brilliant - no hot spots and even, diffused light. But the centre needs filling IMHO, and this is based on experience in 4WDs in the outback where seeing a long way is good... In combo with wides a long range spot would work well in covering sides and distance...

viz
Put an HID in your headlight high beam, problem solved, no more black hole.....
__________________
Bob Weis 04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Photo's: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w464/Bobmws/
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #2228
hoadie72
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Put an HID in your headlight high beam, problem solved, no more black hole.....
That's a bit like using a sledgehammer when all you need is a hammer... and not an option if you want to keep it legal. I'm also in the camp that would like to pair a flood light with a spot light.
hoadie72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #2229
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteelB12's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Prince William County, VA
Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
So Sanjoh, I finally got around to taking the pics since I haven't heard back.

As you can see, I didn't mess around and open the lens at all, so what's up with the condensation in one (and not in the other)?



I have had the same issue a couple of times. I unscrewed the back and let them air out. Guess I will open the front now and see if the o-rings are messed up
__________________
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2009 KLR650
SteelB12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #2230
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,313
a few pages back an answer to this problem was posted. If it were mine, I'd find the O rings on mcmaster and swap them out. That's obviously the point of entry.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #2231
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy
 
viz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney, Oz
Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Put an HID in your headlight high beam, problem solved, no more black hole.....
I wanna stay away from HIDs for a range of reasons. Much less complicated system I have now. And as good.

viz
__________________
Pig In The City - 2010 BMW R1200 GSA Adventure
1996 XL1200S Sportster - a temporary insanity
Webmaster BMW Touring Club of NSW
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #2232
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large
 
Bobmws's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Same trailer, different park, FL
Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
I wanna stay away from HIDs for a range of reasons. Much less complicated system I have now. And as good.

viz
I can understand that, how about an upgraded bulb for the high beam. The European Osrams with the Plus rating are excellent.
I think the problem with an LED spot is that it will require an optical lens to focus the light. That may be fairly expensive and take us away from the price point we have now.
I don't know what the 30's use or how focused the "spot" is, but I'm interested as I'm picking up an Aprillia scooter and would like some more light from it.
Any comments on the focus of the 30's?
__________________
Bob Weis 04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Photo's: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w464/Bobmws/
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #2233
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Any comments on the focus of the 30's?
Model 30 Beam on 6' tall fence, 40' from the light, which is 12" off the ground.


Scooters need light too
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #2234
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large
 
Bobmws's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Same trailer, different park, FL
Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Model 30 Beam on 6' tall fence, 40' from the light, which is 12" off the ground.


Scooters need light too
Thanks for the pics, that's a pretty tight focus compared to the 40's. Just got the Aprilia Beo today, I have yet to start taking it apart to figure out where everything is and how I will mount the 30's. I'll have it figured out soon, gotta hit their forum for some ideas.
__________________
Bob Weis 04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Photo's: http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w464/Bobmws/
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #2235
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy
 
viz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Sydney, Oz
Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Model 30 Beam on 6' tall fence, 40' from the light, which is 12" off the ground.
Now that is good, how about in 60s??

viz
__________________
Pig In The City - 2010 BMW R1200 GSA Adventure
1996 XL1200S Sportster - a temporary insanity
Webmaster BMW Touring Club of NSW
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014