Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #2266
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,655
Which light / how did you mount it? thinking on putting some on my KTM 640 Enduro.

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #2267
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerJay View Post
my 30s just arrived with a dimmer switch so i can run them dimmed with the low beam at night, full blast on hi beam of course. i was wondering, before i begin wiring, if i need to even bother with the dimmer switch?? Are even the 30's bright enough at night that they would be aggravating/blinding on coming drivers if not dimmed (when on low beam)??

also, anyone no where i can get some lense covers that will fit on these housings? maybe some colored ones like they sell on trailtech??
If you do most of your driving in the city on 4 lane + I would say they don't need to be dimmed. I have a pair of 30s on my airhead, mounted on the lower forks, they are aimed about 15' in front of the bike. on/off switch. I can not run them at night without getting flashed. And the poor FF in front of me does not want to be there

With respect to lens "covers" we offer the xpel lens protection but it is a permanent install. Clear, yellow and blue, here is the clear.

I would recommend installing the dimmer, 3000 lumens is 3000 lumens, plug one in to your battery and try it out.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #2268
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 687
Do these lights need to be hooked up via a relay or can I use the high beam lead?

I currently have a hid conversion light in the bike, so the high beam lead isn't actually powering anything.

Thanks
Jason
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #2269
Whistler
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Excellent light!

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to Sanjoh and ADVMonster. I run a pair of fork-mounted Denali D1s full-time on my '08 Bandit, and fork-mounted and wired a single Model 30 (via a relay) to my high beam as a supplement. My daily DC commute starts long before sunrise, and I needed a long-throw light for the various roads I take on my 60-mile one-way commute. The Model 30 works perfectly, and gives me the right amount of light I need exactly where I need it.
For the amount of light it throws, it's a great product at a reasonable price. Thanks, Fellas! - Ed H.
'06 Honda VFR800 (gone)
'08 Bandit 1250S (current)
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #2270
StellerJay
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
I put the 30's with a dimmer on my aprilia scooter and have them aimed a bit into oncoming traffic for conspicuity, so I use the dimmer on low beam. They are plenty noticeable even when dimmed.
This is about 30-40% power.
Thanks Bo, great information and that is exactly how i want to use them, so yeah, i'll probably go ahead and hook up the dimmer, seeing that i already have it.

cheers
StellerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #2271
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,292
R1200GS install

I installed two of the 600s on my XR650R and love them. I have two clearwaters on my GS for conspicuity while lane splitting. I wanted to add a bit more light on the GS without adding to the sides of the bike, to avoid damage when falling over. I saw how Wunderlich attached their Micro-Flooter Zyclop light above the front fender and I made my own bracket out of aluminum, attached to the Wunderlich steering stops.

Light switch added on the right.

Burnszilla screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 09:22 PM
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #2272
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

R1200GS install

I installed two of the 600s on my XR650R and love them. I have two clearwaters on my GS for promiscuity while lane splitting. I wanted to add a bit more light on the GS without adding to the sides of the bike, to avoid damage when falling over. I saw how Wunderlich attached their Micro-Flooter Zyclop light above the front fender and I made my own bracket out of aluminum, attached to the Wunderlich steering stops.

Burnszilla screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 11:21 AM
Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #2273
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
I installed two of the 600s on my XR650R and love them. I have two clearwaters on my GS for promiscuity................
How's that working for you?!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #2274
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Quote:
I think I meant to say conspicuous. Pain meds after surgery taking effect. :)

Burnszilla screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 09:07 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #2275
Y2K_MASTER
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some input if 2 Model 30's can provide enough light by themselves for night riding? I have a track r6 which doesn't have headlights due to the track fairings. I was thinking of mounting 1 or 2 of these under the nose to make it street legal and ride-able at night. That would also allow easy removal for track days.

Any advice would be great.

Ps. All my wiring harnesses are intact still and can be used
Y2K_MASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #2276
youkiddin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
looking for some help with replacement o-rings for these lights,anyone have part/item numbers or size that i need.I saw that my outside ones are starting to crack and i don't think i've seen a size listed in this thread yet,thanks
youkiddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #2277
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #2278
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
I installed two of the 600s on my XR650R and love them. I have two clearwaters on my GS for promiscuity while lane splitting. I wanted to add a bit more light on the GS without adding to the sides of the bike, to avoid damage when falling over. I saw how Wunderlich attached their Micro-Flooter Zyclop light above the front fender and I made my own bracket out of aluminum, attached to the Wunderlich steering stops.

any pics lit up??

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #2279
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_MASTER View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some input if 2 Model 30's can provide enough light by themselves for night riding? I have a track r6 which doesn't have headlights due to the track fairings. I was thinking of mounting 1 or 2 of these under the nose to make it street legal and ride-able at night. That would also allow easy removal for track days.

I don't think street legal is going to happen in the event you're questioned by a LEO, but two of the 30's COULD be what you need to the occasional street ride.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.

beechum1 screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 09:58 AM
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #2280
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
Do these lights need to be hooked up via a relay or can I use the high beam lead?

I currently have a hid conversion light in the bike, so the high beam lead isn't actually powering anything.

Thanks
Jason
No relay is required due to the low amp draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to Sanjoh and ADVMonster. I run a pair of fork-mounted Denali D1s full-time on my '08 Bandit, and fork-mounted and wired a single Model 30 (via a relay) to my high beam as a supplement. My daily DC commute starts long before sunrise, and I needed a long-throw light for the various roads I take on my 60-mile one-way commute. The Model 30 works perfectly, and gives me the right amount of light I need exactly where I need it.
For the amount of light it throws, it's a great product at a reasonable price. Thanks, Fellas! - Ed H.
Thanks for the feedback. Are you saying the single Model 30 has more throw than a pair of Denalis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_MASTER View Post

The lights are not DOT legal. That being said, a single model 30 is adequate for riding at night. I would recommend dimming the light for use in traffic.

Another consideration of the mounting position you suggest. You need to make sure you have adequate clearance when the front fender is all the way up ie forks bottomed out, otherwise the light could be trapped between fender and fairing. Perhaps you can mount them on the mirrors with connectors as the mirrors would be removed for track days as well.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote