Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #2521
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRed View Post
I like the pics! But what bikes are these? You mentioned a Skyline, never heard of that, and isn't a BRP a Honda XR650R? I didn't see one. Anyhoo, I got my CR500 rockin now, shouldhave pics tonight of the light working.
Blue ridge pkwy
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #2522
TRed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Oh, I was think Big Red Pig, thanks.
TRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #2523
TRed
Adventurer

I am confused on my wiring. I have a yellow from the lighting coil/stator then I have a yellow from the rectifyer, I know I connect these together, but also another wire. Should I connect a switch wire here, then connect a light wire to the other switch wire, and then does the other light wire get grounded?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #2524
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 232
review time

ok, so ive been wanting to do an honest review from a different kind of rider, a street rider. an asphalt test, if you will.

so i have an 09 sportster "hotrod" that i race and ride everyday. its my ONLY vehicle, so it needs to function well. and it would need to serve as my only source of forward lighting...yeah

before, i had dual 55w halogen lights that did nothing but light up my front tire, so one day while dicking about on here i posted up a thread asking about a bright but small light. i soon was directed to advmonster, and while i was in a bit of initial sticker shock and talking to sanjoh about them, i placed an order for a model 60, bar mount, light protector and strobe switch. to be honest, i know i was a pain in the ass asking so much stuff.

but i got them quick and packaged well, and i was totally surprised about how small they were in person. now i had to muck about figuring a place to mount them and the switch, since my bike doesnt have any switches anymore for anything.

well, i talked to a fabricator friend of mine who made a mount that would work in the original headlight visor and while its not my favorite looking mount, it works (for now).

I just got back from the initial test ride at 5am and man, i have to say im impressed!!!

not only do signs light up a light blue (as does ANYTHING reflective, think bike helmets, idiot dots, stripes etc) all in front of me, but i get easy adjustment from low to high and 6 other settings in between to tweak the setup as conditions need.

now, i know im going to get in trouble with that switch...you see i am a very aggressive driver because i figure everyones out to get me, so i try to be proactive more than reactive. on my bike, i have more throttle than brakes...so yeah.
anyway, first thing that happens is some jackanape pulls right into my lane and creeps along, so i hit the strobe to get his attention and HE PULLED OFF THE ROAD. i did that 3 more times on the trip (being careful not to endanger anyone, or get the wrong attention...) and similar reactions: get out of the way!!!

now, for the breakdown. there are some cons to my pros, so lets get to that list:

Pros:
Small, Low Power Draw, Easy to Hide, Easy to Install, Super Bright

Cons:
1: The strobe switch could use a different brightness pattern, going from low to high instead of high to low. personally id like to see a function where if you hold the dimmer down it goes right to bright, press again to go back to where you were.
2: The HD mounting bracket has ridges (i assume for, well, rigidity) but they can interfere with getting the back on tight enough.
3: The Wide Beam isnt too wide, in the beginning. once its out past the bike about 20 feet its wider, but right in front of the bike its still pretty narrow. im not getting a lot of light directly in front of the front wheel, with it aimed correctly.

now, all those things are REALLY minor. yes, id like a slightly different switch. yes, id like a little wider pattern in front of the bike. but are they deal breakers? HELL NO. not only that, i feel that i got a steal.

I did forget that we on ADV got a discount, so even with paying full price i find these to be a great buy.

onto the pics.

before:

after:

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #2525
TRed
Adventurer

Here is the wires I have, I just need to know what order to attach them in. I have a switch also not shown.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #2526
Rev
Asshole

here ya go

Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #2527
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
here ya go

Cool video of the ST Dimmer

"Police strobe" be careful with that, don't want to make anyone sick
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #2528
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Question

Hi John,

Is one ST dimmer needed for each light...or will one control a pair?

Sorry if this is s dumb question or has been covered before.
trapperj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #2529
Rev
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Cool video of the ST Dimmer

"Police strobe" be careful with that, don't want to make anyone sick

my friend that stood in front of the bike to try to get video said that the "police mode" on the fastest setting was making them want to puke and disoriented them, so yeah....

also, what i find particularly cool is the modulating strobe. you can put that on the day for the "pulsing" headlight you see on a lot of upgraded bikes for safety, and since i goes right to full bright youll def be seen by oncoming. wouldnt use at night tho...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #2530
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Any pics of this mounted on handlebars? Is the battery included in the light assembly?

thanks

The kit includes a battery, the charger and a bag to velcro the battery on. It is on the main tube in the pic. We also offer an accessory wire so you can wire it direct to 12v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Is one ST dimmer needed for each light...or will one control a pair?
One ST dimmer will power up to 140 watts. So it will handle 15 model 30s or 7 model 44s or 4 model 60s.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #2531
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
here ya go
Nice, I like it!
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #2532
TRed
Adventurer

Is there anyone here that will help me get this light working please? I can't understand why I am the only person with questions on how to make this thing work. I have a dirt bike, I need light, I purchased the model 60 light and need some help wireing it up, I'm not an electrical guru I ride dirt bikes.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #2533
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Is there anyone here that will help me get this light working please? I can't understand why I am the only person with questions on how to make this thing work. I have a dirt bike, I need light, I purchased the model 60 light and need some help wireing it up, I'm not an electrical guru I ride dirt bikes.
Sent you a pm, you should expect support from whomever sold you the lighting coil and rectifier. If no support, try the thumper forum.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #2534
Rev
Asshole

well bad news. the ST dimmer shit the bed less than 24 hours after installing it. when the bike had power, it would light up full bright (not my setting) and flicker, the "mode" button would get too hot to touch and at one point i thought i saw smoke (i do work at a cigar shop, so it could have been that...) no buttons responded, so i yanked it off and hardwired the light so it was full blast. im going to have to ride like this till i figure something out.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #2535
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Tred

You called me the other day on your wiring issues. Something you said didn't seem right after thinking about it. As I understood you, there is only one wire coming from the stator up to the rectifier. There should be two because that is AC. If this is not true, contact the place where you bought the stator.

Let me know if I can help.

Jim

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote