Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #2656
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
At the suggestion of a few inmates, we have added electrical connectors to our website. Thanks for the feedback.

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #2657
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 226
my theory on 4 is that ill have 2 on the fairing facing always forward, and possibly 2 lower so i can have light while i turn, which is (for me) a needed thing, and the 2 lower would be facing a little out toward the sides of the road instead of just straight ahead. im not ever going to have heated gear or other random things aside from the GPS plug

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #2658
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
my theory on 4 is that ill have 2 on the fairing facing always forward, and possibly 2 lower so i can have light while i turn, which is (for me) a needed thing, and the 2 lower would be facing a little out toward the sides of the road instead of just straight ahead. im not ever going to have heated gear or other random things aside from the GPS plug
After riding my Husky with our soon to be introduced drop in light (I have one model 60 in it) I am shocked. Can't imagine what 4 M60s would look like

Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #2659
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
So perhaps this has been answered a millions times - but this thread is looooong!

I have a dr250 I'd like to add some lights tor visibility and better night time riding when I get away from the city and need some light on dark country roads.

I'm new to trying to wire lights up On a bike- is there a tutorial on installing these lights?
What am I going to need besides buying 2 lights, a switch and some mounts?

Thanks
pm me if you need my email
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #2660
m5guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
Yup, I've taken the thing apart when I installed my HID lowbeam set up. Pain in the ass but if I can do it, anyone can. Was just hoping to avoid it in the case of getting the highbeam bypass feature of this dimmer hooked up/
Jazz62, you probably figured this out already, but using the horn wiring to trigger the full bright setting is not going to work. The high beam trigger wire needs a consistent 12V hot current to keep your Advmonster holding in the full bright setting. If you use the horn wire, your Adv lights will only go into the full bright for as long as you hold down the horn button. Not very convenient.
m5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #2661
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
KTM Stock fairing mod

Two 30W quad XM-L

Stock 5W halogen city light

Both 30W modules on

55W Halogen for comparison
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #2662
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5guy View Post
Jazz62, you probably figured this out already, but using the horn wiring to trigger the full bright setting is not going to work. The high beam trigger wire needs a consistent 12V hot current to keep your Advmonster holding in the full bright setting. If you use the horn wire, your Adv lights will only go into the full bright for as long as you hold down the horn button. Not very convenient.
Oh that would special, wouldn't it? Thanks for the response. I did not bother trying it. I found that after removing my windshield and the silver gauge cover I could get just enough pressure from above and below to remove the highbeam rear cap. What I'm struggling with now is how to route the wire itself. It is very thin making it really tough to thread it through a piece of shrink tube of adequate length. It definitely needs some protection though as I'm going from my left handguard following an existing harness to the headstock and then need to route it forward to the back of the higheam housing. I'll figure it out just want to be careful it's not rubbing too much when I turn the bars.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #2663
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
What I'm struggling with now is how to route the wire itself. It is very thin making it really tough to thread it through a piece of shrink tube of adequate length.
Use some thin stiff wire like electric fence wire or baling wire as a pull through. When running new wires through the body of the bike where I am afraid it will rub I use a cable like 2 or 3 core instead, assuming I will use the other core/s for something else later.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #2664
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Use some thin stiff wire like electric fence wire or baling wire as a pull through. When running new wires through the body of the bike where I am afraid it will rub I use a cable like 2 or 3 core instead, assuming I will use the other core/s for something else later.
That is a good idea. I ended up using a shorter length of heatshrink tube where the wire runs along an existing harness. That got me to the point where I had to route the wire around the front of the upper frame, near where the horn is. I needed more flexibility here than the shrink tube would allow but I still wanted to protect the wire from any possible chafing so I wrapped this section in electrical tape, a total of about 6".
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #2665
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashopolis View Post
So perhaps this has been answered a millions times - but this thread is looooong!

I have a dr250 I'd like to add some lights tor visibility and better night time riding when I get away from the city and need some light on dark country roads.

I'm new to trying to wire lights up On a bike- is there a tutorial on installing these lights?
What am I going to need besides buying 2 lights, a switch and some mounts?

Thanks
pm me if you need my email
If you are riding much in the city, I would recomend one of our LED controls with high beam bypass. Let's you set a dimmed setting to be seen, while having full power at a flip of your high beam switch. With a DRZ250 it will also reduce electrical consumption (at the dimmed setting). This important as your bike does not have a lot of watts available. If a LED Controller (high beam bypass models) is purchased with lights, it will come as a plug n play setup at no additional cost.

You'll need connection to the power, preferrably fused.

Mounts are included with the lights. PM your email address or contact me sandjoh@gmail.com if you have any questions
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #2666
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
If I read the new KTM offering correctly, it has a high beam bypass option, right? In the pictures it also looks like you're using your ST dimmer... but on the ST dimmer webpage, I don't see anything about a high beam bypass. Does the ST dimmer have this feature? I only see two input and two output wires on the ST dimmer pictures, so I was assuming it doesn't do the bypass.

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #2667
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
If I read the new KTM offering correctly, it has a high beam bypass option, right? In the pictures it also looks like you're using your ST dimmer... but on the ST dimmer webpage, I don't see anything about a high beam bypass. Does the ST dimmer have this feature? I only see two input and two output wires on the ST dimmer pictures, so I was assuming it doesn't do the bypass.
The ST dimmer does not have a high beam bypass. The new drop in light offerings are using the ST dimmer for low beam with an external relay for high beam. These are buried in the headlight mask so limited access, only to set the low beam output.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #2668
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
The ST dimmer does not have a high beam bypass. The new drop in light offerings are using the ST dimmer for low beam with an external relay for high beam. These are buried in the headlight mask so limited access, only to set the low beam output.
Thanks for clarifying! I'm very happy with the M1 so far, works great for the 6am commute. I'll have to get some nice shots when I have time and write a short review. I'm looking forward to upgrading the halogens on the strom to some LEDs. Any new products in the pipeline, something bigger than the 60 perhaps? Yeh, overkill maybe, but go big or go home, right?

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #2669
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 283
I ordered my Model 30 lights on Friday night and received them today (Monday)!! Now that is FAST! I can't wait to get them installed. Thanks John!

Eric
Old 08-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #2670
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
I got my model 30's a couple weeks ago, and have had them on awhile now. Last night was the first "deep, dark creepy ass - deer filled" evening I had to ride home. I really got the model 30's as I wanted basic daytime running lights, no dimmers, no multiple intensity, just on and off.

I was very pleased as a rode 110 miles home last night in the dank dark wee hours. The model 30's threw a big white ball of light about 45 yards out, give or take. I apparently had them just a bit cross eyed, which you dont really see in the daytime. At night, the "crossed beams" met in the middle and really came through. My pale yellow ass stock headlamp just a flicker in comparison.

Guess I am saying I am pleased with the model 30 units .

I'm bad at long goodbyes too...)