Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #2731
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
Any plans to offer an 3600 lumen M60 light with a spot beam pattern, for those who want something brighter than the current 1500 lumen M30 spot?

I second that ... That would be nice . The spot at the moment seems way too focused to use only one as a high beam. I am using two at the moment
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #2732
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Whats up guys!? My 1st post on here but I'm very active on Thumpertalk and KTMtalk as well so figured why not join in here for some adventure goodness. I'm 99% off road riding but as long as I'm on a bike, I'm having fun and not complaining.

Just ordered 1 model 30 spot on Friday, should be here any day!! I've read this thread off and on for about a month now trying to decide if I take a chance with one or go with something from B.D. or Rigid. From what I've seen, I don't think there is a better lumen per dollar led option out there. If I get even remotely close to the difference shown below by alleycatdad, I will be a VERY HAPPY night rider. My KTM 450 EXC has the stock rectangular H4 set up but I've added a Trail Tech 100W stator and a good quality +30 H4 bulb. I'm hoping the spot will give me just a touch more distance and the stray light will give me as much fill as a 35W MR16 that I use now with it for an add on. I know these pics show a model 30 and a 44 but I'll try the 30 1st and if it's not enough I'll simply order up another 30 or 44( or 60) to add on or just swap out. Anyway,, I'll post up some pics (and helmet cam to if it's worth looking at ) once I get it put on and take a night ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
KTM 990, 2010.

Blackdog Cycle Works mount, needed a little work to fit: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=19

Stock low beam:

Stock High Beam (underexposed somewhat by point n shoot camera-it's not quite THIS bad...) :

Plus model 24 flood and model 30 spots:

THAT'LL do!

Beam patterns.

Note: Shot with point n shoot, brightness is not relative image to image. Distance: ~80 feet.

Stock High beam only:

Stock High Beam plus Model 30 spot:

Stock High beam, model 24 flood, and model 30 spot combined:

The right way to do this would be to go out with a manual camera on a tripod and use consistent settings image-to-image, but I had the point n shoot and a wall....

Steve
michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #2733
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
Any pics of the 30s taken in bright daylight from a far distance, aimed a few degrees away from the camera? It would be the view of an oncoming driver, basically.
Sorry, I didn't notice this post earlier. I took a few pictures, but none of them really do the lights justice. I kept looking at the picture and thinking this isn't what I'm actually seeing. It may just be a case of shitty iphone pics. I'll try getting a pic with a real camera later.

I was actually just out on a group ride with ten other bikes yesterday. I kept getting compliments all day on the lights. I was taking up the rear of the ride and the group leader said he liked me having the lights on because he could glance back in his mirror and know the entire group was together because he could easily spot my lights. We weren't all bunched up either.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #2734
michigan400
Adventurer

Model 30 plus Trail Tech X2 halogen

Got my M30 in quick! Thanks guys. Not a bad little light but I think I'll add either another 30 for a pair or just get a 60 to run as a single unit. The model is bright but not bright enough, IMO, to run as a stand alone headlight. Decent distance just to narrow and to blue colored to be good by it's lonesome. BUT,, for only 60 clams it's a hell of a light!

Also, since I can't leave well enough alone I did some experimenting last night. I first mounted it to my hand guard for a quick test. I had my Trail Tech X2 halogen mounted up for my main light. The X2 is OK in stock form but gets a lot better when you switch out the bulbs for something with a little more juice. I put a 55W H3 Narva rangepower +50 in the main light and a 50W MR16 spot for the top light (both are 35W as it comes from TT ). Problem with this is the 105W total draw. I only have a 100W stator so running high beam (both lights) is a no-no. I have it set up to run the 2" MR16 as the low beam and the 55W 4" light as the high beam and the Model 30 has it's own switch so I can add it to either.

Went for a quick ride like that ^ and it worked well. Much better than a 50W MR16. Has a pretty tight spot pattern and definitely more distance. Adding it to the 55W high beam gave me not quite as much spill light as the MR16 but helped the distance on the 4" as well. They are about even for distance but obviously the 4" driving light has way more fill from the broader beam.

Then I got to looking at the X2 and thought it would be awesome if I could just replace the crappy 2" light with the model 30 for a cleaner set up.

Looks doable to me.

So after further examination, I got the grinder out and made a few adjustments to the plastic body of the X2 and it slipped right in like it was made to go there. The Model 30 is held in place by the finned heat sink. I'll need to address the air flow issues and possibly get some metal between the 2 pcs so it's not mounted to plastic and maybe figure out a way to adjust it but I think this has real potential for an off road light. A model 60 in there would be awesome. Here is what it looks like mounted up. I'll work on getting some comparison pics posted this weekend.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #2735
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Looks awesome!
You could put a HID 35W in the 4" for an even lower drain on the charging sys!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #2736
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 725
Sanjoh.
Is the free dimmer with hi beam circuit noted on your website? I'm ready to order but did not see this deal on the site.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #2737
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Sanjoh.
Is the free dimmer with hi beam circuit noted on your website? I'm ready to order but did not see this deal on the site.
PM sent. We are offering plug n play wiring when lights are purchased with a dimmer (high beam bypass models) at no extra cost.

The drop in light replacements include an adjustable low beam with a high beam bypass.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #2738
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Wow 500,000+ views YFFs are amazing.

Do you have a spare light laying around? How about making an awesome brake light

Introducing our prismatic red lens cover. Lens cover will fit on any of our LED lights.

Mounted under the top rack

Tail light only

With 24 watt led light

Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #2739
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Wow 500,000+ views YFFs are amazing.

Do you have a spare light laying around? How about making an awesome brake light

Introducing our prismatic red lens cover. Lens cover will fit on any of our LED lights.
Awesome! I might have to buy a Model 30 to move my 24watt the the rear!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #2740
racedawg
Have bike will travel

Oddometer: 242
Michigan,

Sure would like to see how your mounting ended up on the X2. I am thinking along the same lines, however haven't sprung for the goods yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Racedawg.

[QUOTE=michigan400;19629966]Got my M30 in quick! Thanks guys. Not a bad little light but I think I'll add either another 30 for a pair or just get a 60 to run as a single unit. The model is bright but not bright enough, IMO, to run as a stand alone headlight. Decent distance just to narrow and to blue colored to be good by it's lonesome. BUT,, for only 60 clams it's a hell of a light!

Also, since I can't leave well enough alone I did some experimenting last night. I first mounted it to my hand guard for a quick test. I had my Trail Tech X2 halogen mounted up for my main light. The X2 is OK in stock form but gets a lot better when you switch out the bulbs for something with a little more juice. I put a 55W H3 Narva rangepower +50 in the main light and a 50W MR16 spot for the top light (both are 35W as it comes from TT ). Problem with this is the 105W total draw. I only have a 100W stator so running high beam (both lights) is a no-no. I have it set up to run the 2" MR16 as the low beam and the 55W 4" light as the high beam and the Model 30 has it's own switch so I can add it to either.
09 KTM 950 SE
-----------
racedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #2741
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 965
Sanjoh
You probably get tired of reading this but are we any closer to seeing a new light with model 60 power and model 30 "optics"?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #2742
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Sanjoh
You probably get tired of reading this but are we any closer to seeing a new light with model 60 power and model 30 "optics"?
It's at the top of the list
Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #2743
michigan400
Adventurer

All you need to do is take off the MR16 light and flange from the X2, lightly grind the raised plastic portions that the screws go into so they match the light body diameter. The screws will still go back in just fine if your careful. Then just sandwich the plastic shell between the main body and the finned heat sink of the light and your there. I still have to get a little airflow back there and either add a couple big metal washers or just use the supplied mount brackets with the tabs cut off. I'd also add a drop of green loctite to the back once you mounted it to keep the heat sink from unscrewing and your light dropping off the front. I have the model 30 spot but I think that setup would work much better with a 44 or 60 since aiming it is almost impossible. You have to angle the entire headlight shell to do it. I'll try and get some better pics showing that this weekend. I'm hoping it the rain lets up so I can get a couple night shots as well. I have some GoPro vid now but it doesn't show much. I can't get it to take good vid at night.

[QUOTE=racedawg;19649913]Michigan,

Sure would like to see how your mounting ended up on the X2. I am thinking along the same lines, however haven't sprung for the goods yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Racedawg.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #2744
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,310
Sanjoh,
Is there anyway to order a new lens protecter without paying $10 for shipping? I just need 1.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #2745
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetuss10 View Post
Sanjoh,
Is there anyway to order a new lens protecter without paying $10 for shipping? I just need 1.
Yes, select the first class mail option.