Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #3391
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,148
Has anyone posted a schematic for the Rotary LED Dimmer with High Beam Bypass? Or at least a picture of the whole kit. The website pictures don't show all the wires.

Is this a full wiring harness with a relay? I already have my lights hooked up with a standard wiring harness (tap into 12V power which hits a relay to draw power back from the battery.)

Does this dimmer somehow splice into my existing wiring harness? Or does it replace it?

Also, why does the description say "replaceable battery"? I am hoping that is a typo. Would would a wired switch need a battery?

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #3392
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp9997 View Post
Hey Sanjoh,

I ordered Model 30 when they were on sale with the heavy duty brackets. You were out of stock on the brackets and shipped the lights with regular brackets. Have you got the brackets back in stock... I tried to email you twice, PM you once ...gee even tried to call the number on your website... No replies on any front !!!

Please let me know what is the ETA for the heavy duty brackets... whey would they be in mail??

Regards,

SP
A guys gotta ride!

HD brackets should be in the mail late this week or early next. We will send an email when they ship.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #3393
sp9997
n00b

Oddometer: 5
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
A guys gotta ride!

HD brackets should be in the mail late this week or early next. We will send an email when they ship.
Couldn't agree more ... We are on accelerated riding schedule here in chi-town... Thanks for the reply...
sp9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #3394
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post

Would mounting the 60 LED flood inside an OEM lens, as per the pics, focus the light into a narrower area ?
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #3395
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
Has anyone posted a schematic for the Rotary LED Dimmer with High Beam Bypass? Or at least a picture of the whole kit. The website pictures don't show all the wires.
Here's the pic on the product page All wires shown (with exception of whats in the box).

Quote:
Is this a full wiring harness with a relay? I already have my lights hooked up with a standard wiring harness (tap into 12V power which hits a relay to draw power back from the battery.)
It is not a "full wiring harness with a relay". It is a LED light controller with connectors.

Quote:
Does this dimmer somehow splice into my existing wiring harness? Or does it replace it?
It will splice into your existing harness. The only additional connection is to the positive high beam wire.

Quote:
Also, why does the description say "replaceable battery"? I am hoping that is a typo. Would would a wired switch need a battery?
TYPO
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #3396
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,148
Got it. Thanks!!

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #3397
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Experimenting with the LED 60 on a KTM 500 XCW

I recently received the LED 60, rotary dimmer with HB overide, and plugnplay wiring harness from Sanjoh to fit my 2013 KTM 500 XCW.
The Lexan sheet mounting panel I had to cut myself

I didnt like it.

Actually, I like the output, but one LED mounted in the mask as the sole light for dualsport use has a coupla problems, imo

1. Its a widebeam flood, so when dimmed down enough for oncoming traffic, its just omitting a pale light over a large area, not great to see with.

2. Mounted in the headlight mask, the oem mudguard casts a 2 meter shadow directly in front, effectively a blind spot. That wouldn't be great for offroad, imagine rocky creek crossing at night.

I do note the vendor sells a dualsport fairing with two LED 60's. I guess the higher up LED would cast its light at sufficient angle to minimize any shadows from the mudguard
However, I didn't want the fairing setup.

I've now relocated the LED to under the handlebar, using the handguard mount for now. Looks reasonably out of the way there for offroad use.

The LED is angled slightly towards the center, which is also away from oncoming traffic, but it would still blind them on full power....
Positioning it higher and off to the side (compared to in the mask) eliminates the blind spot directly in front. The shadow from the mudguard is now a lot shorter and off to the side, so no issue.

For the OEM light I have either a 45W halogen bulb or the OEM 30w incandescent bulb

I need to play with the wiring a bit to get the following.

In low beam, I want the OEM light with 45w halogen + the option of LED light dimmed.
In high beam just the LED light at full power.
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #3398
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
1. Its a widebeam flood, so when dimmed down enough for oncoming traffic, its just omitting a pale light over a large area, not great to see with.
Sounds like you need to turn up the output. After several thousand miles, I find the low beam output more than adequate. The wider beam helps see off to the edges of the road.

Quote:
2. Mounted in the headlight mask, the oem mudguard casts a 2 meter shadow directly in front, effectively a blind spot. That wouldn't be great for offroad, imagine rocky creek crossing at night.
This is a problem with the oem mask, any light in that mask will have the same issue. If you are looking that close to the bike, you need to pick up the speed

Quote:
I do note the vendor sells a dualsport fairing with two LED 60's. I guess the higher up LED would cast its light at sufficient angle to minimize any shadows from the mudguard
However, I didn't want the fairing setup.
The upper level light comes on with the high beam.

Quote:

In low beam, I want the OEM light with 45w halogen + the option of LED light dimmed.
Turn the dimmer knob

Quote:
Connect the high beam wire from the dimmer to a switched 12v power source to activate full power. Turn the high beam off with OE switch.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #3399
ShimrMoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
mounting for BMW GTL

I bought a set of 24 watt spots for my BMW RT about a year ago but didn't get around to mounting them. I've since traded it for a 2013 BMW GTL. My question is, does anyone have advice on mounting options on the new bike? I'd like to mount them on the front forks or fender bolts. Any suggestions for mounting bracket and wiring diagram would be most appreciated.

13 BMW GTL, 10 BMW RT, 09 Suz Vstrom 650A,
02 BMW LTc, 92 BMW R100R (wish I still had it)
ShimrMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3400
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimrMoon View Post
I bought a set of 24 watt spots for my BMW RT about a year ago but didn't get around to mounting them. I've since traded it for a 2013 BMW GTL. My question is, does anyone have advice on mounting options on the new bike? I'd like to mount them on the front forks or fender bolts. Any suggestions for mounting bracket and wiring diagram would be most appreciated.
Do you have crashbars on it?

If yes, this might be a mounting option
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #3401
ShimrMoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Do you have crashbars on it?

If yes, this might be a mounting option
Yes, I do. They have Illium hwy pegs on them. What bar mounts are used in that pic and how about the wiring? I was wondering if what it was supplied with is enough. BTW, the pic appears to have the oem (BMW) bars...

13 BMW GTL, 10 BMW RT, 09 Suz Vstrom 650A,
02 BMW LTc, 92 BMW R100R (wish I still had it)
ShimrMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #3402
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimrMoon View Post
Yes, I do. They have Illium hwy pegs on them. What bar mounts are used in that pic and how about the wiring? I was wondering if what it was supplied with is enough. BTW, the pic appears to have the oem (BMW) bars...
I think those are the BMW bars. In addition to the supplied mounts you will need an additional foot (clamps to the stock location). I can include those at no cost, just let me know when you order.

Wiring - does your bike have led headlights?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #3403
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Sanjoh, is there a ADVmonster showroom in the flat lands of FL ?
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #3404
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
I recently received the LED 60, rotary dimmer with HB overide, and plugnplay wiring harness from Sanjoh to fit my 2013 KTM 500 XCW.
The LED is angled slightly towards the center, which is also away from oncoming traffic, but it would still blind them on full power....
Positioning it higher and off to the side (compared to in the mask) eliminates the blind spot directly in front. The shadow from the mudguard is now a lot shorter and off to the side, so no issue.

For the OEM light I have either a 45W halogen bulb or the OEM 30w incandescent bulb

On the highway the headlight alone will be powerfull enough but in the dirt you also need a helmet light so you can see around the corners. Sanjoh has a good one on his website.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #3405
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
Sanjoh, is there a ADVmonster showroom in the flat lands of FL ?
No showroom, we do have a workshop and we welcome anyone that wants to visit or stay the night.

info from the tent space thread

573 Dicks Rd.
Babson Park, FL 33827

At the end of the road less traveled.

Acres of camping, extra bedroom and shower, shop and tools.

Access road can be challenging, sandy and/or muddy depending on rain.

1.5 hrs to Tampa or Orlando

sandjoh@gmail.com or PM