Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #3451
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
I like the location of the fender bolt, but I worry that's a spot that'll hit the ground when my Vee gets sleepy. The Twisted Throttle bracket is probably the most protected, but I don't like that the lights are so close to the headlights.

My lights got delivered this morning according to the tracking (woohoo - wicked fast service!) so I'll play around with the crash bar mounting and see if I can come up with something tonight.
In general, the closer to the centerline of the bike, the more protection lights will have. I don't think the fender mounted lights are in jeopardy.

The twisted throttle mount is reasonably priced steel. It mounts to the fairing subframe so it has some rigidity.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #3452
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
For now I used the ADVMonster crash bar mounts. I tried to get 'em tucked in close, but I think they're still vulnerable. If I get a chance this weekend I'll tip my bike over and test 'em.

Ignore the messy garage. I share it with my neighbor/landlord...the side with all the stuff piled in it is his. The lights also highlight how tweaked my crash bars are!

I put the switch on my dash:

They look awesome. WICKED bright, even on the lowest setting on the dial. Can't wait to try them at night. Easy install.

A couple of gripes... I wish the crash bar mounts had come with hardware to attach the lights to the crash bar mounts. I didn't feel like going to the hardware store, so for now I used what I had laying around, but bolts were a little long, so I'll have to buy some hardware and re-do it. I also wish the leads on the lights were around 6" longer so I could run the wires in a different way. I wish the switch had some sort of double-stick stuff on the back (I had some tape, but would be nice), and I wish the high beam signal wire had a spot in it where you could unplug it like all the other leads have, in case you need to move the switch (where I positapped into the high beam is kind of hard to reach).

All that being said, I'm very happy with the lights and don't regret ordering from ADVMonster. If I'd have wanted something that was all set up to just bolt on, plug in and go, I could have spent $400 or $500 or $650 for a v-strom specific kit and still not had as much light.

If you look close, you'll notice I flipped the mount on the light that they don't stick out as far forward from the crash bar. I like how everything was pretty plug-and-play... I expected to have to wire the lights to the switch, but they were all ready set up with plugs. The only wiring I had to do was the + and - switched line (which was wicked easy all ready due to a fuse box with built-in relay from Eastern Beaver). I also like how after I got everything set up and I turned the lights on and stepped back to take a look, they left me seeing spots even at around 20%, and in full daylight

Sanjoh got 'em shipped out lickety split.. I think I saw the tracking notification email within an hour or two of ordering, and they were on my doorstep in 48 hours. I'm an instant-gratification type guy, so that made me pretty happy!
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #3453
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Nice installation zeeede! Thanks for the feedback.

How do you like the MRA scree? Just rode 11 hrs with the givi that came on the bike, feel like I just crawled out of a clothes dryer
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #3454
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Nice installation zeeede! Thanks for the feedback.

How do you like the MRA scree? Just rode 11 hrs with the givi that came on the bike, feel like I just crawled out of a clothes dryer
The MRA screen is better than stock...that's about all I can say about it. I got it for free from a riding buddy. I'm pretty tall, so I still can't get the turbulance to go up over the top of my head with it. The best I can do is get it to hit me just above the visor on my helmet, so at least I don't get smattered with bugs at night. Still a lot of turbulance though.

Do you have a madstad bracket with the Givi screen? A lot of the guys over at the stromtrooper forum think that's the ideal setup. Also, I found that mirror wideners helped a bit with the buffeting too. I think a lot of the turbulance actually comes off those giant square mirrors.

All that being said, I still wear ear plugs!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #3455
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
The MRA screen is better than stock...that's about all I can say about it. I got it for free from a riding buddy. I'm pretty tall, so I still can't get the turbulance to go up over the top of my head with it. The best I can do is get it to hit me just above the visor on my helmet, so at least I don't get smattered with bugs at night. Still a lot of turbulance though.

Do you have a madstad bracket with the Givi screen? A lot of the guys over at the stromtrooper forum think that's the ideal setup. Also, I found that mirror wideners helped a bit with the buffeting too. I think a lot of the turbulance actually comes off those giant square mirrors.

All that being said, I still wear ear plugs!
Ear plugs are a must!

Yes, madstad bracket with the givi screen. Probably need to raise the screen but I'm not a fan of looking through, I'd rather look over the screen.

The MRA worked great on my 02 Tiger.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #3456
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Suggestion for 05 450EXC headlamp/fairing replacement

Good evening. I shot you an email about fairing/headlamp for that KTM 450EXC I ended up buying. Sometimes I still wish I'd gone with your slightly lighter TE450, but the 70lb difference in my old TE610 and this EXC has been enough for me to complete the Dual Sports, and the wide ratio transmission has let me commute (ok only twice since April).
Summation is I need to replace the factory headlamp/fairing assy, but didn't want one as tall as your photos showed. Also, will a single 30 give me sufficient light to "limp home" if I need to navigate woods after dark? 2005 KTM 450EXC.

Clint
aka Stolenfant
clemon3@sotank.com
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #3457
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
All righty then, let's see if I've got this right.

2 black 44's 2x80 = $160
1 Rotary LED dimmer = $59.95
2 crash bar mounts 2x15 = $30
total of $249.95

And that should let me mount them to my Canyon Cage crash bars on the FJR, run the lights at a dimmer setting, but have them go to full power when I hit high beam. All, of course, assuming I wire them up right! Am I missing anything here?
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #3458
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenFant View Post
Good evening. I shot you an email about fairing/headlamp for that KTM 450EXC I ended up buying. Sometimes I still wish I'd gone with your slightly lighter TE450, but the 70lb difference in my old TE610 and this EXC has been enough for me to complete the Dual Sports, and the wide ratio transmission has let me commute (ok only twice since April).
Summation is I need to replace the factory headlamp/fairing assy, but didn't want one as tall as your photos showed. Also, will a single 30 give me sufficient light to "limp home" if I need to navigate woods after dark? 2005 KTM 450EXC.

Clint
aka Stolenfant
clemon3@sotank.com
email sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post

2 black 44's 2x80 = $160
total of $249.95

And that should let me mount them to my Canyon Cage crash bars on the FJR, run the lights at a dimmer setting, but have them go to full power when I hit high beam. All, of course, assuming I wire them up right! Am I missing anything here?
Promotion code "inmate" during checkout saves you $25. Shipping will be around $10.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #3459
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

I relocated my lights last night... I think they'll be more protected from a tip-over down a little lower on the bars. Sorry for the crummy pics... I didn't get home from work until late and it was dusk by the time I had everything buttoned up.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #3460
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

2 black 44's 2x80 = $160
total of $249.95

That's what I have on my Vstrom. I also paid the extra $10 per light for the "heavy duty" mounts... The rotary dimmer comes with a positap for the high-beam signal and pre-wired connectors for the headlights, but just bare ends for the + and -, so you'll need your own taps/connectors/whatever to get those to the power supply of your choice.

I spliced on some extra wire and ran it to a switched circuit off my after-market fuse box.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #3461
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
That's what I have on my Vstrom. I also paid the extra $10 per light for the "heavy duty" mounts... The rotary dimmer comes with a positap for the high-beam signal and pre-wired connectors for the headlights, but just bare ends for the + and -, so you'll need your own taps/connectors/whatever to get those to the power supply of your choice.

I spliced on some extra wire and ran it to a switched circuit off my after-market fuse box.
Yeah, I plan on running the power from my fuse box as well. Thanks! Guess I'll just go and pull the trigger.....
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #3462
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I plan on running the power from my fuse box as well. Thanks! Guess I'll just go and pull the trigger.....
Yup, do it. Also, I forgot to mention you'll also need hardware to connect the lights to the crash bar brackets... Sanjoh might be able to tell you the right size... dunno. I used stuff I had laying around the garage.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #3463
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Yup, do it. Also, I forgot to mention you'll also need hardware to connect the lights to the crash bar brackets... Sanjoh might be able to tell you the right size... dunno. I used stuff I had laying around the garage.
6mm bolt will do the trick.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #3464
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
6mm bolt will do the trick.
Got me some of those!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #3465