Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #3706
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Model 60 still has the edge in output and distance.

Ok, thank you. I just ordered one. Can't wait to hook it up :-)
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #3707
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,755
Installed the volt meter and temp gauge in the dash of my '92 BMW R100GS. There are existing holes in the dash that the meters fit into (after minor trimming on the meter cases). They work great and look like they are a stock installation.

Dave
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #3708
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
My 60 lights suddenly stopped working so I investigated. It turns out the 12v supply plug came unplugged from the dimmer. I realized after plugging it back in that the connectors just don't hold that great (this is the 3rd time this has happened).

So...I used some heat shrink over the connectors to try to prevent this in the future.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #3709
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Model 60 still has the edge in output and distance.

Just installed the model 60 under my head light. Between it and the two model 30's I already have... it light up my garage.. at 3:00 in the afternoon...lol.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #3710
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

So its me again... as I was adjusting my lights I noticed that my headlight is pretty much worthless. My latest thought is to place the model 60 inside my headlight housing, I have room and making is lo/hi shouldn't be to difficult.

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #3711
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
So its me again... as I was adjusting my lights I noticed that my headlight is pretty much worthless. My latest thought is to place the model 60 inside my headlight housing, I have room and making is lo/hi shouldn't be to difficult.

Thoughts?
This is on your 919?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #3712
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
This is on your 919?

Yep :-)

I can't foresee any real problems other than heat, but the bulb that is in there is rated higher than the factory one and it has never melted anything.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #3713
coonass35
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
combination

So who has used the combination of one Model 30 paired with one Model 44? I was thinking of doing this on my vstrom. I like the spot, but also like the fog pattern. Hoping this would give me the best of both worlds. Also what is the difference btw the two dimmer's with high bypass other than the obvious cost and remote control. Do they both operate the same? I want the lights to function with the oem lights. I don't want to worry about turning the lights on and off separately from the bikes ignition. Is this as simply as tapping into a power wire that is only hot when the ignition is on? Thanks in advance
coonass35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #3714
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Yep :-)

I can't foresee any real problems other than heat, but the bulb that is in there is rated higher than the factory one and it has never melted anything.
What benefit are you considering in retrofiting the LED light stock headlight?

I don't think I would do it if it were my bike as it is a street only machine.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #3715
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonass35 View Post
Also what is the difference btw the two dimmer's with high bypass other than the obvious cost and remote control. Do they both operate the same? I want the lights to function with the oem lights. I don't want to worry about turning the lights on and off separately from the bikes ignition. Is this as simply as tapping into a power wire that is only hot when the ignition is on? Thanks in advance
Both of the dimmers provide the same benefits. No need to switch on or adjust, once you have found the dimmed setting. Connections are highbeam positive and switched (on/off with bike) power.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #3716
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What benefit are you considering in retrofiting the LED light stock headlight?

I don't think I would do it if it were my bike as it is a street only machine.
Well, aside from looks, the stock headlight is about worthless. The reflector design only works with the oem bulb, anything brighter (especially hid) just scatter light.

So here is my thought, mount the 60 series in the oem housing in the same place as the oem bulb. Paint the reflector black ( it would now be useless) and wire it up. Should end up looking like a projector light.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #3717
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Well, aside from looks, the stock headlight is about worthless. The reflector design only works with the oem bulb, anything brighter (especially hid) just scatter light.

So here is my thought, mount the 60 series in the oem housing in the same place as the oem bulb. Paint the reflector black ( it would now be useless) and wire it up. Should end up looking like a projector light.
Or do it right and install a proper bi-xenon HID projector instead, theretrofitsource sells them. That would be a great pairing with the LEDs you have now.

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #3718
ewagman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:

If you are on the road, you would be emitting a lot a glare to opposing traffic with this lamp. It's a great off road or "no opposing traffic" light, I love mine. If your bike need periodic safety inspections, it likely would not be legal with your proposed set up.
ewagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #3719
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewagman View Post
If you are on the road, you would be emitting a lot a glare to opposing traffic with this lamp. It's a great off road or "no opposing traffic" light, I love mine. If your bike need periodic safety inspections, it likely would not be legal with your proposed set up.

Nope, no safety checks in Florida...lol. I do see your point in regards to the glare.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #3720
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
Or do it right and install a proper bi-xenon HID projector instead, theretrofitsource sells them. That would be a great pairing with the LEDs you have now.

I will have to look into those. The only problem with the HID is finding a place for the HID ballast, naked bike = no place to hide it..lol. Definitely a neat idea though, I look into it fo rmy tundra :-)

The funny part is, with the model 30's turned on the headlight doesn't really put off a noticeable amount of light...lol.

I don't know if I'll do it.. just seemed like an option to explore. I might get an extra headlight assembly off E-bay to try it worth just to see.