Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 AM   #3976
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I've finally gotten to the point where I can hook the lights up on my sidecar. I need some help and direction

I have 2 spots and 2 fog lights mounted on the light bar. I'd like the fog lights to come on with the low beam and all 4 lights to come on with the high beam. I have the dimmer which I hope to use to turn the lights off or dim them when I don't need everything on.

is there a simple way to do this? where should I tap into the bike harness? Is the existing headlight relay sufficient or do I need a separate relay (or 2 relays?) for the auxiliary lights? I have replaced the OEM headlight bulb with an LED which draws about half what the original bulb did so I don't think the harness or relay will be overburdened.
I would wire the dimmer as the instructions show to your fog lights, and add a second lead pre-dimmer to the high beam switch to power the spots, probably don't need a relay for that. This should give you no lights with the key off, fogs at a dimmed setting with low beam, fogs on full and spots on with high beam.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #3977
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Does your 350EXC use DC for the headlight?

If it does, I can plug any of our 55mm diameter lights (Model 30, 44, 50 or 60) into a KTM style fairing/mask, with a dimmer you will have low and high beam using your oem switch. And it will be plug n play with your existing headlight connector.
Sounds awesome. The interweb has told my 350 is DC, so that's good. I am assuming the best bet would be a Model 60? I can't imagine a spot would give me enough side coverage. Do you think the M60 will give me enough throw?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #3978
enKcee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
There is a reason to be in the Fayetteville, AR area, if you haven't been to SLAP, check it out. Sweet riding in the Ozarks, a great facility, and better yet the folks are second to none
Well alright! Looks like two great things came from this thread.
enKcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #3979
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Sounds awesome. The interweb has told my 350 is DC, so that's good. I am assuming the best bet would be a Model 60? I can't imagine a spot would give me enough side coverage. Do you think the M60 will give me enough throw?
For bikes with DC headlights

I ran the M60 on a 08 TE450 for a couple of years. Was never able to outrun the light and I giggled when I turned on the high beam Stupid amount of light

Not up on the web site yet. Have these in erng, white and black. Pricing will be under $200 including M60 light, mask, dimmer w pnp wiring. Shot me an email or pm if you are interested.

No dimmer shown

Pick either a wireless or rotary dimmer to have an adjustable low beam/full power high beam and plug n play with your oem wiring.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #3980
tyrsmkkyle
off the ground.

Oddometer: 242
my dual m60s are doing just fine. my plastics however are showing the marks of my riding inability. These lights are holding up well no complaints thus far im glad i sprung for the dimmer, i can turn them down enough to ride in traffic.
tyrsmkkyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #3981
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Wr250r install

Working on install of 2 M30s and a dimmer on my WR250R.

I don't really have a good place to mount the dimmer. For those of you that have been running these, is there any reason to have the dimmer handy? Or is it a set it and forget it kind of thing? I was considering mounting it underneath the seat. Seems like it would be less likely to get bumped and such, and wouldn't have to fabricate any brackets etc... But if I need access to it day in and out, under the seat might wouldn't work.

Opinions?

Also, is the positap meant to connect to the headlight switch wiring?

xaman screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 04:21 PM
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #3982
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Working on install of 2 M30s and a dimmer on my WR250R.

I don't really have a good place to mount the dimmer. For those of you that have been running these, is there any reason to have the dimmer handy? Or is it a set it and forget it kind of thing? I was considering mounting it underneath the seat. Seems like it would be less likely to get bumped and such, and wouldn't have to fabricate any brackets etc... But if I need access to it day in and out, under the seat might wouldn't work.

Opinions?

Also, is the positap meant to connect to the headlight switch wiring?
Use the posi tap to attach the high beam bypass wire to your high beam wire.

I mounted my switch to the back side of my HDB hand guards. If you're using the high beam by pass though, you really won't need access to the switch again. For me however, it took a bit to figure out how to keep the switch from rotating from the vibes on my thumper. After stuffing the underside of the knob with foam that's not been a problem, and I've not touched it. I have mine set as low as it will go without pulsing, and leave it on day or night.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #3983
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Use the posi tap to attach the high beam bypass wire to your high beam wire.

I mounted my switch to the back side of my HDB hand guards. If you're using the high beam by pass though, you really won't need access to the switch again. For me however, it took a bit to figure out how to keep the switch from rotating from the vibes on my thumper. After stuffing the underside of the knob with foam that's not been a problem, and I've not touched it. I have mine set as low as it will go without pulsing, and leave it on day or night.

Thanks, that was helpful. Got it mounted up, we will see how it fairs. Light is definitely better, just need to do some riding at night and make sure I'm not annoying oncoming traffic.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #3984
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
I think it's all in how you aim them. I followed my wife home from the big city at dusk, and her comment to me was that I could turn them up even more. My in laws and I ended up crossing paths on a 2 lane road during daylight, and they said it wasn't a bother at all. Did say however that the appearance was so distinctive, that they knew it was me before they could identify the bike.

Good luck with the lights. They won't stop everyone from pulling out in front of you, but it will get some to not do it. And as far as night goes, they fill in my low beam nicely, and when you hit the high beam switch, well, I'll just say that amount of light is addictive. Makes it hard to go back to low beam lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Thanks, that was helpful. Got it mounted up, we will see how it fairs. Light is definitely better, just need to do some riding at night and make sure I'm not annoying oncoming traffic.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #3985
JTXR1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Mornin -

I've got an '09 HD XR1200, any tips on best location?

Thanks,

JT
JTXR1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #3986
ctowne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Just ordered a pair of the 30s along with a dimmer for my KLR. I'm sure I'll post some pics when I get them :
ctowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #3987
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
thanks John

Thanks again for drop shipping my light to the Hotel ,,,great service
wmfleet2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #3988
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Can anyone give me the measurements of the 60s and 30s ? I cannot find them on the Monster site.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #3989
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Can anyone give me the measurements of the 60s and 30s ? I cannot find them on the Monster site.
M30, 44, 50, 60 use the same housing.

From our website: Length: 70mm , Diameter 55mm
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #3990
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2 View Post
Thanks again for drop shipping my light to the Hotel ,,,great service
Glad we could help.

Hope you have a nice ride!