Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #31
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebake
Anyone know if you could put these on a dimmer?Buy the bigger ones and dim them in traffic and turn up when you can.Thanks Ed
They will work with a dimmer.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #32
honda_silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
They will work with a dimmer.
I would be very interested in a pair of 24W, if I could get a digital dimmer to avoid any loss of power and allowing full range of dimming. Would a dimmer cause the LED any problems (higher heat, less life, etc.)?

Would it be possible or would it create any problems, to get full power on high beam and then have a dimmer control on low beam??

I saw a question below "Which LED's are you using?", but I did not see an answer.

Are the LEDs waterproof with the O-ring mentioned below??

Do you have any more details/specifics on the electrical equipment provided ( switches waterproof, relays??)

What is the expected lifetime of the LEDs? Can the LEDs be replaced in the future or would it be a total replacement??

Sorry to ask so many questions.
honda_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #33
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Q I would be very interested in a pair of 24W, if I could get a digital dimmer to avoid any loss of power and allowing full range of dimming. Would a dimmer cause the LED any problems (higher heat, less life, etc.)?

A The dimmer will not cause any issues, it may well increase the life expectancy of the leds.

QWould it be possible or would it create any problems, to get full power on high beam and then have a dimmer control on low beam??

APerhaps an electrical expert can better answer this, I don't know.

Q I saw a question below "Which LED's are you using?", but I did not see an answer. A Not sure

Q Are the LEDs waterproof with the O-ring mentioned below??

A Did you see the pics with the lights in the pool? Yes they are waterproof
. I don't recommend them for permanent underwater installations.

Q Do you have any more details/specifics on the electrical equipment provided ( switches waterproof, relays??)

A I have been using this switch without a relay on a fused circuit.

Q What is the expected lifetime of the LEDs? Can the LEDs be replaced in the future or would it be a total replacement??

A 35000 to 50000 hours according to the WikiIf you turned the lights on and left them on continuously they would stay lit for 4 (four) years at the least. You will never need to replace the leds.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #34
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Talking Reduce light output LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalegado
This Wrong Wrong Wrong.
Yes, I thought about it and you are right, PWM is the way to go... Should have been awake when I wrote it... my bad.

Forget what I wrote down here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
Q Would it be possible or would it create any problems, to get full power on high beam and then have a dimmer control on low beam??

A Perhaps an electrical expert can better answer this, I don't know.
That's easy to explain, although it's theoretical:

U=Voltage
I=Current (Amperes)
R=Resistance
P=Power (Watts)

So, we use two formulas: U=I*R and P=U*I
Now fill in the numbers: I=P/U and R=U/I thus R=12/2=6 Ohms

To reduce it to, let's say 6V, you have to add a 6 Ohms resistor in front of the LED unit, giving you 6V over the resistor and 6V over the LED unit.

If you like to have the light at 75%, you will have to set a 2 Ohm resistor in front of it, to get 1/4 part over the resistor and 3/4 parts over the LED unit. It's really simple but make sure the wattage of the resistor exceeds the wattage of the of the LED units. Now, a 50W resistor cooled in some aluminum housing will cost some 10USD, they are sold in most car electronic shops as a lot of people would switch to LED these days.

I'm personally thinking to get a pair of 24W LEDs and set the head unit with a LED H4 light as well just to fill up the gab. Here in Mexico there are not many rules about the lights you use and I'll be using the LEDs to drive at night and during the day, thus I won't be using a switch or what ever and hook them directly to the main headlight wires.

Now, set them in series and NOT parallel! You will smoke the resister for sure! You are not using it for your directional lights like in the links below! Plus it will kill the idea of having less load on your generator...

I believe that the LEDs that are used in these units are 3W each, so, the 10W is more a 9W (3*3W) light and the 24W a 27W light (9*3W).

sanjoh, how much will be shipping to Mexico AND the lights, city Queretaro with postal code 76117 for the set of 24W? Any pictures of the 3x3 24W LED light where we can see the LED area?

EDIT: Examples:
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning...-p4783296.html
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/50W-Load-Re...d_resistor.htm
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html
http://canadiancruisercustomizing.co...products_id=12
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come

puntoMX screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 12:57 PM
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #35
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

PM sent on shipping to Mexico
Old 08-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #36
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,487
I really think I want/need a set of these lights for my Strom. I like the dimmer idea, that way could run all the time for that "see me" effect but could turn up the juice for night runs.

anybody have thoughts on a source for a dimmer switch?
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #37
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

would something like this work on the 24w set?
http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Contr...gy_auto_text_b
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #38
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
would something like this work on the 24w set?
http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Contr...gy_auto_text_b
A bit expensive but yes, one of the dimmers for each, you just have to make it waterproof or put it in a housing. Looks like those things get hot...
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #39
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

maybe someone with more electrical knowledge than I have can find a decent dimmer switch at a fair price..
Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #40
ellivnad
uber n00b

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
maybe someone with more electrical knowledge than I have can find a decent dimmer switch at a fair price..
If you aren't afraid of a bit of soldering, here is a nice kit for under $10 : http://www.moreleds.com/drivers.htm (half way down the page)

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is the way to go for dimming, as you won't be wasting a lot energy to heat. You'll probably even find that you can "dim" them quite a ways before you visually can tell they are dimming, yet they will be drawing less power (read about apparent brightness on that link).

Update: I like the looks of this dimmer too, search for KICK-KR6 on ebay. Looks like this single unit would control two lights.

ellivnad screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 01:04 PM
ellivnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #41
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

FAQs from purchasers installing these:

Q. What color wire is hot?
A. The white wire is hot/positive and the black is ground/negative.

Q. What is the best mounting method?
A. I have used the flat mount for many on and off road miles with no issues. I adjusted the mount so the single bolt hole is centrally located with respect to the light. Remove the heatsink and reverse the mount to adjust for your installation. The flat mount has a physical stop that will limit the amount of adjustment for the elevation (if vertically mounted) or side to side (if horizontally mounted).

A handlebar mount is also included.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #42
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 202
Just received my lights today. I just have to say these appear to be great quality lights for the money spent. Now I just need to come up with a mounting bar. I'm off to the hardware store!
Sharkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #43
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,964
I'm in!

Ordered a pair of 24 watt Floods today. If I like them (and I'm sure I will), I'll get another set for my car. Winters coming!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #44
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 202
For those that aren't familiar with assembling the AMP connectors here is some info: http://www.ducatiwiki.net/images/4/4...cification.pdf

http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/cdata/1094/docs/1685006_1.pdf

also this may help
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...-connector-set
Sharkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #45
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 367
Just ordered mine as well. Looks good.
Aviatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote