Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #691
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
I just used some AMP spade type (male and female) connectors and put some shrink tubing over them and called it done. I carry a supply of them included with my tool kit when on the road, so can handle any problems easily. I like to keep things simple.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #692
maxmonte
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I installed 2 24w flood lights on my TDM with just a dimmer and the things are BRIGHT! Leaving them on during the day at the lowest setting of the dimmer is quite enough to be noticed and at night they do not seem to bother oncoming traffic up to 1/4 of full power. When out of the city I can crank them up and enter another time zone... in conjunction with the xenon headlight it looks like noon again!
Might upgrade later with an on/off switch on the handlebar, just for convenience, but for now I think I am all set!

Thanks Sanjoh
maxmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #693
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,304
All lights are back in stock.

Thanks everyone for your business.

Happy Holidays
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #694
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Throw out the Xmas tree. Park that in the lounge instead.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #695
mrbighead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Ok 49 pages is a long ass read! However my question never really got asked so here it goes. I would like to run a set of these on my Dual sported XR650R. I have a Ricky Stator with 100 watts available at the small running light in the BD headlight shroud. The main headlight runs AC as I understand. My questions are:

1. Will it harm the lights when the bike dies and the and the lights are powered by the little 8 AA cell battery pack while I am restarting? Also was wondering about powering my Zumo 550 for the same concerns.

2. Will these things take the rigors of true off road riding? I'm talking full off road vibrations / shocks. I am not concerned with impact as I can control that just shock caused from jumping, rut crossing, sharp hard wheel travel.
I would mount them on the hand guards.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #696
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
Putting together those waterproof connectors made me want to murder somebody. I got one of them together. The other one still isn't right.

On the female connector, I can't get that red piece of plastic on there. If I put it on first, I can't get the pins to slide in. If I put the pins in first, I can't get the red piece to snap in. Right now I left it out, but the pins aren't securely held in without it. I think I'm going to scrap the connectors entirely and go to posi-connects.
OK - went through the same path that you did - had to figure out how to assemble them and thankfully I did not injure anything too much.

Not too good on the nomenclature but here goes:

First off if you cannot get the red plastic thing (keeper) in there the pin either has not been crimped properly or not inserted properly (or both). Check very carefully that the crimped tags have been folded correctly over the wire and not squashed and the pin is still straight. And be very careful you have not squashed this thing (locking indent) at the end of the thin arrow:

Credit tallguy-09

In the socket there is a mating tag that locks into the pin locking indent (behind that arrow head) and holds it in place - the tip of the pin should be near flush with the front when it locks. If that tag is not set in the locked position you will not get the keeper in.

Note too - the pin ONLY goes in one way. Rotate 180º out and it wont go in let alone lock. If you force it you will bend and break things.

Now you've got this far and still stuffed it up - the keeper wont lock and the pin wont go out. Means that the mating tag in the plug has caught the pin and wont let it out again, but wont go all the way down 'cos the pin has been distorted. Get a jeweller's screwdriver, nice and fine and gently insert it into the front of the plug and see if you can either disengage the mating tag (black plastic) or better, press it firmly into the locking position. This may force the pin to bend into a more compliant position and allow the tag to lock into the pin and then allow the keeper to go in. This last procedure worked successfully and quickly on the two times I could not get it to lock in.

Hope that helps

viz

viz screwed with this post 12-15-2010 at 02:41 AM Reason: Change some names
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #697
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 280
Which to get? 10 or 24 Watts. I rarely drive a t night. I'm looking for lights that will make me visible more then extra road illumination.
matts1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #698
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
OK - went through the same path that you did - had to figure out how to assemble them and thankfully I did not injure anything too much.

Not too good on the nomenclature but here goes:
Thank you very much for taking some time to write this up. This does help.

Has anyone figured out the proper way to tighten up the hinge on the mounting bracket? All those damn bolts on there!

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #699
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts1050 View Post
Which to get? 10 or 24 Watts. I rarely drive a t night. I'm looking for lights that will make me visible more then extra road illumination.
I'd go for the 10 watts in that case. The 24 watt lights are killers.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #700
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Thank you very much for taking some time to write this up. This does help.

Has anyone figured out the proper way to tighten up the hinge on the mounting bracket? All those damn bolts on there!
I did it by machining aluminum spacers to replace the inner bolts entirely:

JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #701
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
...Has anyone figured out the proper way to tighten up the hinge on the mounting bracket? All those damn bolts on there!
The spacer needed is about 19.8 mm. A 3/4-inch nylon spacer for #10 screws will have a length of a shade over 19 mm. One could add a washer (a thin m4 stainless wave washer works very well) to get a snug fit (and hold the spacer in position). Thus, there is no need to cut or machine anything.

I also replace the phillips (which is an m4 x 30mm stainless) screw with either a stainless steel socket (or button socket) cap screw (still m4 x 30 mm). I also use an m4 stainless stop (aka nyloc) nut to keep things tight. These parts are all found at my neighborhood ACE hardware store.

The nylon spacer is white. I use flat black paint on the bracket, spacer, screw, and nut.
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #702
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I'd go for the 10 watts in that case. The 24 watt lights are killers.
I'm thinking they 24W are better for getting noticed during the day. More light when the ambient light is high makes you stand out. I actually run my 24W full bright during the day and on the medium setting at night. YMMV

2008 YAMAHA FJR
pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #703
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmoto View Post
The spacer needed is about 19.8 mm. A 3/4-inch nylon spacer for #10 screws will have a length of a shade over 19 mm. One could add a washer (a thin m4 stainless wave washer works very well) to get a snug fit (and hold the spacer in position). Thus, there is no need to cut or machine anything.

I also replace the phillips (which is an m4 x 30mm stainless) screw with either a stainless steel socket (or button socket) cap screw (still m4 x 30 mm). I also use an m4 stainless stop (aka nyloc) nut to keep things tight. These parts are all found at my neighborhood ACE hardware store.
Thanks for that information; I'm going to copy your method.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #704
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts1050 View Post
Then save a ton of cash and just get something like these
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #705
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
Then save a ton of cash and just get something like these

I had some of those. I really didn't like them. They aren't very conspicuous.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote