User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #1426
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 681
Hi Sanjoh,
When the beefier brackets become available will they come in black? It would look better with the black finished lights.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #1427
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post
Hi Sanjoh,
When the beefier brackets become available will they come in black? It would look better with the black finished lights.

Thanks
Finish will be the same stainless steel.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #1428
Norwood
2WBMW

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDBad View Post
I've had both 24w lights fail with a few thousand miles on them. I assumed they had failed due to vibration. The original diagnosis from Sanjoh was possible RF interference from using with a converted HID headlight. When the 2nd light failed it was suggested the power from the HID was bleeding through and caused a voltage spike.

Both lights were replaced quickly by John. I've since put a few thousand miles on the new set without issue (still have HID as well) . He did say they do not warranty them when used in conjunction with HID lights, but I was unaware of the issue when I purchased them.
Sounds just like my situation, I purchased the 24 watt flood three way...and they failed as posted, three times...the last time John did, at my request convert to the brightest setting...but that failed as well...
I am running HID as well and got the same answer about RF and these lights... I wish he had put a disclaimer on the thread to warn us about using HID and his lights... I also have the 30 watt beam lights...they have worked thus far...but if John reasoning hold true they will fail as well...
I have chosen not to return them for the fourth or fifth time....my postage each time is adding up as well... but to John's credit, he has fixed them each time... therefore I will just move on to something else....BTW, I have a set of Motolights I may install on this bike....Motolights now has a LED kit to convert the Halogen to LED... wonder if the RF will be a issue there as well???

While I am not a electrical engineer by any means, I do wonder why my GPS, SPOT tracker, EZPASS, Cell phone, my device to find the best coffee in any town (radar detector some call it) all electronic seem not to be affected by my HID conversion on my headlights...am I missing something here with the RF thing?

Shame, these lights are GREAT while they work...I have four friends that I ride with on occasion, just so happen mine failed first...but now all four have had the same issue...all mounted on BMW bikes, some direct, some off the canbus...some not running HID lights..no RF thing there...
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #1429
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post
Hi Sanjoh,

Thanks

Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #1430
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Will this stuff stick to stainless steel?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #1431
cccbarkbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
heavy duty mounts

Not likely to have the brackets by then as the tooling is still being finished as of today.

Could have showed off the lights to some serious off road folks at this event might have been good for a few sales, oh well http://www.cycleconservationclub.org...M_reg_form.pdf
08 Buell Uly XB12xt
78 BMW R100rs (sold 3/13/11)
04 KTM200exc 09 Kawasaki Versys(daughters)

cccbarkbuster screwed with this post 07-10-2011 at 08:22 AM Reason: add content
cccbarkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #1432
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Feedback

I got the 10w versions way back when...and just mounted them 2 weeks ago prior to a 4,000 mile / 11 day trip to Canada...the lights worked GREAT in terms of visibility (the other 4 bikers with me loved that they could see me) and worked well in illuminating at night when needed...

the stock mounts held up well, so no worries there...

Only issue: they have some water moisture inside the lense...what gives?? How can I fix that?!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1433
Cmyers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
I got the 10w versions way back when...and just mounted them 2 weeks ago prior to a 4,000 mile / 11 day trip to Canada...the lights worked GREAT in terms of visibility (the other 4 bikers with me loved that they could see me) and worked well in illuminating at night when needed...

the stock mounts held up well, so no worries there...

Only issue: they have some water moisture inside the lense...what gives?? How can I fix that?!

I used a strap wrench to remove the lens and let the inside dry out. Then on re-assembly I used liquid plumbers tape I picked up at my local Auto-parts store. Since doing that I have had no problems and I have been caught in rain several times lately.

Living Life in the Wind
Cmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #1434
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyers View Post
I used a strap wrench to remove the lens and let the inside dry out. Then on re-assembly I used liquid plumbers tape I picked up at my local Auto-parts store. Since doing that I have had no problems and I have been caught in rain several times lately.
Sweet! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #1435
techartguy
dumber dan nOOb

Oddometer: 1
Constructural differences

From beyond comes the newb......or nOOb. Whichever applies best here, had to join to ask this.....

At any rate, I recently acquired a set of the silver floods from another vendor out on the web without the multiple power level function built in. Didn't know about this thread until after my purchase unfortunately but wish I had though. Nothing bad has happened...yet, but certainly would have liked the functionality without adding circuitry to get it. Nonetheless, I like a challenge. I did notice something looking between the models from the photos here and several photos the vendor has sent me of the internals when researching. Not sure if this has been covered yet either because I didn't see it reading through the sea of posts or it's a new thing; the baseplate the led boards are mounted on seem to be a bare aluminum plate on the silver model whereas on the black, the plate has some kind of coating on it be it anodized or powder coated to match the casing. Depending on the thickness of that coating and what it's made of I'd gander a guess it would affect thermal conductivity to the plate. By how much I have no idea. Just wondering if anyone happens to know offhand what the ratio of black to silver model failure rates might be?

techartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #1436
Daboo
Adventurer

DiscoDino - how does the tape hold up with the heat the light is putting out?

Chris
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #1437
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
DiscoDino - how does the tape hold up with the heat the light is putting out?

Chris
What tape?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #1438
Cmyers
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino View Post
What tape?

I think he might be referring the LIQUID plumbers tape. The liquid is spread about half way around the threads on the body and then screw the lens cap in place, as far as I can tell most of the heat is directed away from lens and isnt a problem. I also made sure to use A High Temp product just in case.

While this fix has taken care of the most sever problems, there is still a very slight amount of moisture inside the lens after the light has been on for a while (20+ min). This could be from me not getting the housing entirely dry before reassembly though. In Florida during the summer with perpetual 70+% humidity getting anything totally dry is difficult. Although if I had been willing to completely unwire the assembly I could have brought the lights inside and dropped them in a box of rice. However, I commute daily and this really was not practical for me.

Living Life in the Wind
Cmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #1439
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,167
Will any of these work with a KTM 530 EXC.R?

Im in to some night race and need some serious ligthing.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #1440
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com View Post
Will any of these work with a KTM 530 EXC.R?

Im in to some night race and need some serious ligthing.
I have posts earlier in this thread... but short answer yes. If you get one, get the 44.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote