User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #61
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,203
Thanks all

I think that while I was re-telling these events last night a new perspective has come to light.

Sometimes backing away from the scene then looking back again will bring the "big picture" into focus.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #62
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Remember that this area is laid out sort of like a grid with long straights and 90 degree turns....it wasn't a perfect grid but it did zig-zag along the fences like such.

So I come around a 90 degree left hander and up at the end of a shorter than usual straight I see someone standing in the road. As I get closer I realize that it's Todd and think "Oh he's taking a pic of something" I look across the field and don't see any Elk or anything and suddenly remember that he broke his camera the day before at WestFest.
I pull up and see a dazed but uninjured advtenn.

And a KLR all wadded up in the ditch!!

He says "I think that I just dozed off while I was riding!"

I look back and can see that he came to in time to target fixate on the curve and lock down the brakes.

The three us us pushed it back up out of the ditch thankful to see that the damage looked to be mostly cosmetic.

Now at the time that "I musta dozed off" theory made perfect sense but now I'm not so sure.....

If you'll remember Tex had just seen a UFO

Now the boy wears white "space boots" when he rides.....so he may know a thing or two about UFOs.

So answer me this.....how does a guy toss a KLR into a ditch at 70 mph (yeah he was maxin' that pig out!) and walk away with barely a scratch or any damage to the bike?

The more I think about it the more that I'm certain that the boy was abducted by aliens!! He was probably gone for years to galaxies far, far away and probed and tested for many years before being set back down in the time and space where he had been taken. You know, that whole space/time continuum thing.........

I think that Tex knows more about this than he's letting on....

At any rate I was, at the time, just happy to have an able rider and bike emerge from what could have real bad.

....and just like that, we were back on the road again.....

Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #63
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,889
What is the only thing that knybanjo likes to take pictures of more than dilapidated buildings and rusty artifacts?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #64
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,400
Super pics! Nice to meet you Kevin and Thanks for the after dinner refreshments!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #65
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn
Dang it! I've got to stop that.

Great report as always! Your attention to details is remarkable! No matter how minor the event, it never seems to escape you.
yea them pesky minor events cant go unnoticed ya know

Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #66
Cat City Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
The more I think about it the more that I'm certain that the boy was abducted by aliens!! He was probably gone for years to galaxies far, far away and probed and tested for many years before being set back down in the time and space where he had been taken. You know, that whole space/time continuum thing………

Old 08-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #67
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo

If you'll remember Tex had just seen a UFO

Now the boy wears white "space boots" when he rides.....so he may know a thing or two about UFOs.

So answer me this.....how does a guy toss a KLR into a ditch at 70 mph (yeah he was maxin' that pig out!) and walk away with barely a scratch or any damage to the bike?

The more I think about it the more that I'm certain that the boy was abducted by aliens!! He was probably gone for years to galaxies far, far away and probed and tested for many years before being set back down in the time and space where he had been taken. You know, that whole space/time continuum thing.........

I think that Tex knows more about this than he's letting on....

I know nothin, the voices inside my head all 12 of em keep tellin me so.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #68
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Thanks all

I think that while I was re-telling these events last night a new perspective has come to light.

Sometimes backing away from the scene then looking back again will bring the "big picture" into focus.
That's funny stuff Banjo! Really funny!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #69
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Aliens

I'm not so sure Tex is the one speaking to Aliens!

Explain this!

I started getting suspicious when I saw this go down... For sure, that was one strange day.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #70
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

You guys are retarded!!

OK...where were we?

Oh yeah...meanwhile back on planet Earth, Continental Divide, Red Rock Pass, Idaho state line.

advtenn really was kinda sleepy, all that space/time travel will do that to ya! So we decided to head into the next town for food and gas then think about finding a spot to set up camp for the night.

Who let the cows out!!?

Back in civilization?

With full fuel tanks and bellies we continued on down the trail into the sunset......

...and fought off the mosquitoes while we made camp....I don't think any of us made "lights out" before our own lights were out Sunday night...

Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #71
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

We woke up at first light Monday morning right where we went to sleep Sunday evening, I'd say that's a good thing.

Just a couple miles down the road from the little dead end two track that we camped on, the GPS put us on about 35 miles of abandoned RR grade now used as snowmobile and ATV trail.

Good thing we camped when we did....I'd hate to try and pitch a tent out there!!

And here we go down a sandy, whooped out, washboarded ATV track....KLX boy was loving this!

I kept hoping to see a moose or bear but never did....do you?

We were being overtaken by cloudy skies....but we were eventually headed toward the Tetons...it looked sunny over there.

Then we had 3 or 4 of these things to get over....no problem on a KLX but my poor little street piggy got high centered on one of them and needed a push!
(it wasn't this one....they got taller!)

I had one close call with a little tank slapper on this trail when I let my front tire get a little too much of the soft center in a sandy section....but I somehow managed to ride it out.

advtenn was having his own troubles....seems his panniers kept falling off in the whoops...whoops!

Tex however, was loving it!

Although it was a bit of work on the big bike, I also will have fond memories of that section.

Parts like you see here were smooth and fast....but you had to be careful as that could change in an instant!

Uhoh...what now?

Oh...never mind...

Don't look down!!

I'll let you guys make up your own caption for merickk this time.

Our first good zoomed in glimpse of the Tetons.....c'mon boys let's get over there before it rains!

We decided it was best to swing into a nearby town first and fill up. Then merickk noticed that he was missing a bolt on a bark buster and advtenn confessed that his bags kept flying off....so I suggested that they find a parts/hardware store and I'd hang at the gas station and drink coffee and test the towns utilities....

That had us a bit closer to the impending rains.

So we raced our way across the paved plain with the sun on one side ...

...and darkening clouds on the other.

We were soon back on dirt and had to work our way past a caravan of boyscouts in trucks and suvs with trailers.....it was dusty dealing with that crowd.

...and just as we thought that we were free and clear.....there's a flat tire!

But thankfully all the boy scouts turned off just before where we were..literally we were stopped right at their turn off!

Just looking at the road surface here you can imagine how dusty it would have been if they all would have had to re-pass us while fixing that flat!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #72
amazing ricardo
Piste Off

Oddometer: 3,543
..looks really stoopid now...

amazing ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #73
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing ricardo
..looks really stoopid now...
I know!! Right??!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #74
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Speaking of boy scouts.....Todd may have been one at one time, I don't know but he was well prepared for a flat tires with tolls, tubes, patches and a pump so it was a short delay. Also in that last sequence of pics did you happen to notice the snazzy new yellow straps that were holing his panniers in place?

Back on the road again....the Ashton-Flagg Ranch Rd...that may also be known as the John D Rockefeller Jr Memorial Parkway. Whatever it's called it is the only way across the mountains between Yellowstone and the Tetons, from Idaho to Wyoming.

So the two Kawasaki thumper boys take off down the road and overshoot a corner and end up out in the bushes while I enjoy a bit of scenery.

Grassy Lake Reservoir.

And our arrival at Flagg Ranch would mean a temporary end to the dirt but the beginning of the scenic Tetons.

My wife and I stayed here once about 15 years or so ago...

Well we were now firmly planted in the "tourist zone" between Yellowstone and Jackson Hole...there is NO other way through.

So we just decided to blend in with the crowd as best as we could....

Always take time to stop and smell the flowers!

I guess that I should have tried to do a little post process on some of these....but it hasn't happened yet you're getting 'em straight out of the point and shoot.

Our next quest would be once again to find fuel...

...and none of were sure of where we could find any besides Jackson.

The tracks looked to be taking us through no man's land and there may or may not be any fuel along the way....there's nothing of note on the map.

...so short story longer...we rode 30 miles down to Jackson for fuel...

Now it's hard for me to call spending an hour riding my bike while looking at the Tetons time wasted!

Final approach...

Since we had to start with a 30 mile back track before heading off into no man's land merickk decided to play it safe and strap a 2 gallon can to his bike.

...see the little red bobber up there?

There was indeed fuel available out in the unnamed boonies....but it's hard to feel like time spent in the Tetons was "wasted"

Although....we did hope to cover more than the measly 300 miles we had covered on Sunday!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #75
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

The tracks paralleled or followed US26 West past some dude ranches and snowmobile camps till we crossed Togwotee Pass, which was currently a construction zone.

There was wildlife....

...and wildlife.

And the nice lady holding the stop/slow sign waved us up to the front of the line!

Meanwhile the cloudy skies had not ceased chasing us....

Soon we were back on dirt...fast smooth dirt, and heading over Union Pass on our way South through the Shoshone and Teton National Forests.

...random on the fly shots...

Traffic jam!!

Uh Oh...which way do we go?

South=sunny skies once again