Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Oregon 400T track log capability & questions

Hey, I need some assistance with some basics on the Oregon 400t. I'm helping out a friend load some tracks for a big trip he's planning and I'm not familiar with this GPS to know its limitations. On top of that, I've always used MapSource all this time with my GPS's, so I'm having to dive into Basecamp (on Windows) to get this GPS setup for him. So two new things I'm having to learn.

First off, I am an avid GPS user and familiar with units like the 276c/376c/478, 60csx and somewhat with the Zumo 550 and definitely familiar with routes vs tracks and all that. On my x76/x78 units (which are my favorite), I know I'm limited to 700 track points in 15 saved track logs plus an active 10k track log. The 60csx will do 20 saved tracks of 500pts each and 1 active of 10k. Both of these units have route limitations also and waypoint limitations. I've actually become pretty comfy with using either ImgFromGPX or GPX2img to get around the limited track log capabilities and instead build a transparent map also. I'm not sure I want to mess with that on this unit because I don't actually have his map software on my PC? Maybe it could load as another map, but I'm not sure I want to get into that?

On the the Oregon I know its a little different than my normal GPS's in that it hooks to the PC in mass storage mode and then you push data it. You can then import loaded data from internally on the unit or the stored SD card (I think?). Kind of like the Zumo does? I guess what I don't know is if there are any kind of limits to how much you can save in the GPS memory on waypoints vs routes, vs tracks? Or is there a limit when you import stuff from the memory to be used? I guess only space available would limit how much data you could save to the actual unit, then you only import what you need for a couple days?

Just as an example, right now the map data I'm working with is 1255 waypoints, 67 routes, & 80 tracks. I may not even mess with the routes because he's used to navigating by tracks. The 80 tracks consist of various length track logs with some as much as 3k+ points in them. I of course know how to filter that down, but is that necessary?

Thanks for any help.

Dan
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,994
Like you, I use Mapsource, this is what I do. Create a MS file with all the data (tracks, routes, waypoints) you want. Save as .gpx file. Then just use Explor to copy that .gps file into the GPS putting it into the gpx folder. I think he Oregon like 62/76 will take 200 tracks of 2,000 points. actually it holds more in the archive folder, but 200 are visible from Current folder.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Like you, I use Mapsource, this is what I do. Create a MS file with all the data (tracks, routes, waypoints) you want. Save as .gpx file. Then just use Explor to copy that .gps file into the GPS putting it into the gpx folder. I think he Oregon like 62/76 will take 200 tracks of 2,000 points. actually it holds more in the archive folder, but 200 are visible from Current folder.
I was just reading about this. I didn't realize you could do that with this GPS. I might give that a try.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote